Holy spirit convicts us of sin?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Yeshua's follower
Familiar Member

Holy spirit convicts us of sin?

Post by Yeshua's follower »

I would like to know what you guys think about this. A friend of mine told me the other day that it is not the holy spirit that convicts us of our sin, but it is God's word(the bible). I have never really thought about it much, but I couldn't find any scripture where someone was convicted by the holy spirit of their sin. But I believe there is scripture where people are convicted of their sin from God's word. What do you guys think? I will be back with Scripture later.

Yahweh Bless...
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Holy spirit convicts us of sin?

Post by FFC »

Yeshua's follower wrote:I would like to know what you guys think about this. A friend of mine told me the other day that it is not the holy spirit that convicts us of our sin, but it is God's word(the bible). I have never really thought about it much, but I couldn't find any scripture where someone was convicted by the holy spirit of their sin. But I believe there is scripture where people are convicted of their sin from God's word. What do you guys think? I will be back with Scripture later.

Yahweh Bless...
These verses came to my head first but I can see they are talking about the Holy Spirit convicting the world of sin...I'll keep looking.

John 16

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

Yeshua's follower wrote:I would like to know what you guys think about this. A friend of mine told me the other day that it is not the holy spirit that convicts us of our sin, but it is God's word(the bible). I have never really thought about it much, but I couldn't find any scripture where someone was convicted by the holy spirit of their sin. But I believe there is scripture where people are convicted of their sin from God's word. What do you guys think? I will be back with Scripture later.

Yahweh Bless...
You cannot separate the Spirit of God from the Word of God. Over and over, it is the word that convicts (used by the Spirit). It is the Law of God that makes us all guilty, that every mouth may be stopped.

I've seen people do some strange things under the guise of being "led by the Spirit". Once you take the Word out of the equation, anything goes.

2 Timothy 3:16
"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,..."
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

puritan lad wrote:

Yahweh Bless...
You cannot separate the Spirit of God from the Word of God. Over and over, it is the word that convicts (used by the Spirit). It is the Law of God that makes us all guilty, that every mouth may be stopped.

I've seen people do some strange things under the guise of being "led by the Spirit". Once you take the Word out of the equation, anything goes.

2 Timothy 3:16
"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,..."
Spot on!

The Bible was written by Inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

That same Holy Spirit now resides within a true Christian.

The Written word is what is primary in that it is independent of our thoughts and interpretations.

Nevertheless we should expect that that Holy Spirit will work within us to convict us of Sin and direct us in the paths ordained by God.

When what we believe the Holy Spirit of God is guiding us to do is in conflict with the Bible, then we know that we are not listening or getting what God is in fact saying, as God's directions in our lives will never violate the written, inspired Word.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender