I talk with God

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
RoyLennigan
Recognized Member

I talk with God

Post by RoyLennigan »

I talk with God every day of my life
First I must listen, because knowledge always begins with listening.
I listen to the wind blow across my ears--I hear its raggedly fluctuating oscillations as they are affected by the shape of my ear.

I hear the leaves blown to and fro, the branches creaking under age-old pressure; the kinds of pressure that have been here millions of times the length of my miniscule life.

Listening does not only include just sound, but touch, smell, taste, and sight as well:

I feel the central Floridian sand give way under my feet, that sand which was once at the bottom of the ocean, evidenced by the shark teeth I recently found in a nearby creek.

I smell the musty, thick ozone brought down from the upper altitudes by the recent thunderstorm--those pieces of O3 which rode the lightning down to earth. The air is thick with oxygen, nitrogen and water vapor, flooding my lungs and making me feel as if I am partly underwater.

I can almost taste the chemicals, that strange similarity of taste/smell between tongue and nose as I feel the chemicals carried on the wind reach both my sensual chemical detectors.

I feel warm rays heating up my back as the humidity, receding from nearly 100%, allows electrical energy to pass more readily through the fluid air. I feel the sun revealed by departing clouds as my skin heats up and a red glow brightens over my closed eyelids.

I open my eyes and the first thing i notice is the brilliant yellow lighting up the deep green tree line. The tops of the pines and oaks--like masts of a great ship of nature--wave back and forth as great gusts of wind push a monumental cumulus mountain across the sky. I see the cloud is dark, but waning after leaving most of its water here.

I listen and God tells me that everything is a cause of something just as every cause is an effect. He does not use words, he is too powerful, too intelligent to use mere words. He knows that words are deceiving and that the only truth is what we can see and touch and smell and hear and taste. So he uses these things to talk to us.

And so, after listening, I talk back.

I ask him in my thoughts, why do birds fly south for the winter?
it was the first thought that crossed my mind, maybe not the most monumental thing to ask god, but I did nonetheless.

And no answer came. Time passed and still no answer came. I looked to the sky, I looked to the ground. Time progressed still and finally I heard birds calling from above. looking up I saw them flocking south, from as far away as Maine and Canada. But why?. And a chill wind blew from behind me, from the north. A few dead leaves fell and winter flashed through my mind. God had answered me.

So I ask him another question. why is the sky blue?
this one, I knew instinctively, was quite harder, though the difficulty was not in God answering it, but in God finding a way to show me the answer. Again I had to wait. After waiting an even longer period than before I noticed a blue jay fluttering around in the grass. it would fly up to a tree branch, then dive down to the ground and begin to dig till it came up with a worm, then it would fly back to some hidden nest. it made me think. This bird does not wait for answers from God, it knows, instinctively, that the answers are already present and must be sought out personally. So I took the advice from the bird (which may as well have been advice straight from God, it didn't matter) and I set out to find the answer to my question; an answer which God had put somewhere in this world (for every available question, there must also be an answer, that is how the world works). I figured the best place to find an answer would be where I could see as much of the sky as possible. So I went to the beach. It was morning when I arrived and the sky was cloudless, a brilliantly deep blue, stretching a spectrum from azure baby blue around the horizon to dark navy blue above me. The sun of course turned that navy blue to white as the rays distorted colors. I found all of this very curious and somehow important to the answer of my question. Why, for one, should the sky be a different color near the horizon than it is straight over head? I watched the sun go over me and sink towards the western horizon, the side over the water of the gulf. As it did I noticed how as the sun set, the colors deepened to paler shades of blue until it began to turn brown and then a brighter orange. Very curious indeed. where once there had been navy blue above me, there now was a deep purple that faded into the dark navy blue behind me, on the opposite horizon from the setting sun. So there was still blue in the sky, but why? I put my hand down in the sand and jolted it back up again quickly with pain. Looking down i saw that I had cut it on a piece of glass buried in the beach. I pulled it out, looking at it and was about to throw in away when it caught at just the right angle in the light and sent a rainbow of color onto the sand. Beautiful, I thought. It was then that i realized something. It was as if two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle had snapped together in my mind. The white light of the sun was still shining down to me and the glass shard and when I held the glass up to it I could see the light fragmenting into these separate colors. I looked up at the colors in the sky and saw a visual analogy. God had answered my question, but now I had to make sense of it. Studying the colors made through the glass i found blue and saw that it was near the end of the spectrum, followed only by a deep violet color--the same color I was now seeing directly above my head in the clouds. I began to laugh when I realized the answer. The light in the sun held many different frequencies and when they traveled through a medium other than a vacuum--such as the gases in our atmosphere or the glass shard in my hand--those frequencies traveled at different speeds. So the earth's atmosphere acted exactly like the piece of glass; it caused the light to be spread out and since the atmosphere was so big, the other colors just bounced off particles in the air, leaving only the blue part of the spectrum to hit the earth. As the sun set--as the angle of the rays coming to earth changed--the spectrum also moved with it and the colors reaching earth through the atmosphere moved through the spectrum.

I have found, by listening to others (something you must always do) that everyone has a different definition of God. God must transcend the individuals' definition of him, but how? Through our use of language, we are able to imagine entities and ideas that are not real--in fact every thought we have is of something completely made up in our minds. It only loosely relates to the reality around us. Our direct experience and memories are the only definition we have of God, and it is something that cannot be told to another person; it is something we each have to find on our own.

God is time, time is change, change is diversity, diversity is chaos. God is entropy, entropy brings all to chaos and diversity eventually. God is space, space is the inherent energy of the universe, an energy that can't be tracked down but can be theoretically measured, an energy that determines--through probability--the outcome of every minute event in this universe. God is the feeling that keeps you motivated, that gives you a reason to keep going, even in the face of overwhelming odds against. God is that which motivates all.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Did you ask him how you could know he was God. Or since your senses and ultimatley you are God perhaps you don't need to ensure that you are not deceived. Perhaps you could ask him about Jesus and why he has talked to you.

Wonderful writing style by the way.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Very good. A nice post.

God Bless

Silvertusk
caine
Acquainted Member

Post by caine »

Nice post, though both of those answers are pure science. I bet you knew the answers even before you asked the questions.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

caine wrote:Nice post, though both of those answers are pure science. I bet you knew the answers even before you asked the questions.
A true cynic.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Byblos
Old School

Re: I talk with God

Post by Byblos »

RoyLennigan wrote:God is time, time is change, change is diversity, diversity is chaos. God is entropy, entropy brings all to chaos and diversity eventually. God is space, space is the inherent energy of the universe, an energy that can't be tracked down but can be theoretically measured, an energy that determines--through probability--the outcome of every minute event in this universe. God is the feeling that keeps you motivated, that gives you a reason to keep going, even in the face of overwhelming odds against. God is that which motivates all.

Yeah, nice and all, poetically that is. But I don't get it, sorry (I'm just not too artistic, my apologies).

So do you believe in God or don't you? You seemed to indicate that yes, you do believe, until the last paragraph where you suggest you're talking to chaos (you know, God is time, ... , diversity is chaos, ergo God is chaos). Then you go on to also suggest that God is measurable, i.e. finite. And lastly you say God is what motivates all. What I understood from all of that is that a finite, chaotic entity is your motivation. I may be wrong reading into all of this so please explain (non-poetically if possible).

GOD Bless,

Byblos.
caine
Acquainted Member

Post by caine »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
caine wrote:Nice post, though both of those answers are pure science. I bet you knew the answers even before you asked the questions.
A true cynic.
Thats a little harsh. Instead of asking why the sky is blue (which can be proven by science) he should have asked why God designed the world to make the sky blue. That would be much more interesting...
RoyLennigan
Recognized Member

Post by RoyLennigan »

Jbuza wrote:Did you ask him how you could know he was God. Or since your senses and ultimatley you are God perhaps you don't need to ensure that you are not deceived. Perhaps you could ask him about Jesus and why he has talked to you.

Wonderful writing style by the way.
thanks! yes, it comes with the realization that 'you' are not just you. yourself--your soul, the person you are--is not just your physical being, but it is part of everything around you. after that, talking to god is like an introspective conversation. you don't need to ask questions directly, you just have to know what the question is and the answer will come if you look for it.

and thats another thing; the answers to any question you could ask have already been left here by God--so the only questions answered are the ones that we are able to find. questions about God or Jesus directly are harder to answer because either we are not able to understand the answers--or they are questions that God deems we should not know the answer to.
Byblos wrote:
Yeah, nice and all, poetically that is. But I don't get it, sorry (I'm just not too artistic, my apologies).

So do you believe in God or don't you? You seemed to indicate that yes, you do believe, until the last paragraph where you suggest you're talking to chaos (you know, God is time, ... , diversity is chaos, ergo God is chaos). Then you go on to also suggest that God is measurable, i.e. finite. And lastly you say God is what motivates all. What I understood from all of that is that a finite, chaotic entity is your motivation. I may be wrong reading into all of this so please explain (non-poetically if possible).

GOD Bless,

Byblos.
God is that which brought the universe to be. God is the root cause of all events. The definitions line up so well, i figured they must be the same. But don't get me wrong, God is not restricted to time--it is just one of his characteristics. God has been here forever and change cannot come without time so time must have been here forever as well. So since God has been here forever, he must be at least part of time.

Entropy is the motivator of energy--something which seems very God-like. entropy causes energy to go from a simple structured form to a more chaotic and diversified form. it is what inevitably ends our lives and returns our energy back to the whim of the universe.

And i would posit that the soul is the energy constantly flowing through life. i believe God is the energy that pervades all things--that is the sole motivator in each living entity as well as every non-living thing. I believe that the energy circulating (and composing) our brain is what we refer to as our soul. And that this soul is released from our physical body upon our death so that it returns to the chaotic universe; that at this point we cease to think and we begin to simply know.
caine wrote: Thats a little harsh. Instead of asking why the sky is blue (which can be proven by science) he should have asked why God designed the world to make the sky blue. That would be much more interesting...
I hope you will oneday realize the futility of your misunderstanding. My question was no different than asking why God made the universe so that the sky would be blue. Your question has been answered if you would look hard enough. God created the universe as he did. The way he made it caused the sky to be blue. He did not make the universe for the sole purpose of making the sky blue. In fact, blue is subjective--it is something that only certain animals like us can sense. It is a manifestation of the differences between all the other frequencies raining down on us.

He made the frequencies because they are needed to be like that to enable the transmission of energy as he wanted--the transmission of energy like such is responsible for the ability for life to form in his universe. The nature of light allowed for it to be refracted through different mediums. the mediums we can see through (such as the atmosphere or a piece of glass) refract this visible light to slow down the frequencies composed in a single white ray. Because God made light how it is, and because he made matter like it is--the sky is blue.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RoyLennigan wrote:
Byblos wrote: So do you believe in God or don't you? You seemed to indicate that yes, you do believe, until the last paragraph where you suggest you're talking to chaos (you know, God is time, ... , diversity is chaos, ergo God is chaos). Then you go on to also suggest that God is measurable, i.e. finite. And lastly you say God is what motivates all. What I understood from all of that is that a finite, chaotic entity is your motivation. I may be wrong reading into all of this so please explain (non-poetically if possible).

God is that which brought the universe to be. God is the root cause of all events.

I would tend to agree so far.
RoyLennigan wrote: The definitions line up so well, i figured they must be the same.

Here's where you lost me. If the definitions line up then God is chaos. Can't agree with you on that one.
RoyLennigan wrote:But don't get me wrong, God is not restricted to time--it is just one of his characteristics. God has been here forever

Ok with this one but
RoyLennigan wrote: and change cannot come without time so time must have been here forever as well. So since God has been here forever, he must be at least part of time.

not ok with this one; you lost me again. God is the creator of time (time began with the big bang). A creator cannot be part of his own creation. God is not part of time, he transcends it. God is outside of time, that's why He is omnipresent and omniscient.
RoyLennigan wrote:Entropy is the motivator of energy

ok,
RoyLennigan wrote:--something which seems very God-like.

not ok. Entropy is a function of time. We've already established that God is outside of time.
RoyLennigan wrote: entropy causes energy to go from a simple structured form to a more chaotic and diversified form. it is what inevitably ends our lives and returns our energy back to the whim of the universe.

Now you're back into the poetic realm (not for me).
RoyLennigan wrote:And i would posit that the soul is the energy constantly flowing through life. i believe God is the energy that pervades all things--that is the sole motivator in each living entity as well as every non-living thing. I believe that the energy circulating (and composing) our brain is what we refer to as our soul. And that this soul is released from our physical body upon our death so that it returns to the chaotic universe; that at this point we cease to think and we begin to simply know.

Again, energy is part of the creation, not the creator. Does God have energy? Perhaps infinitely so, but his essence is outside of his creation.

Roy, are you by any chance part of the church of religious science (or science of the mind)? Just curious, nothing meant by it. I've been reading up on the church of religious science lately and I find similarities between what they teach and what you're saying here (I could be totally off base, of course, as is usually the case).

God Bless,

Byblos.
RoyLennigan
Recognized Member

Post by RoyLennigan »

Byblos wrote:
RoyLennigan wrote:
Byblos wrote: So do you believe in God or don't you? You seemed to indicate that yes, you do believe, until the last paragraph where you suggest you're talking to chaos (you know, God is time, ... , diversity is chaos, ergo God is chaos). Then you go on to also suggest that God is measurable, i.e. finite. And lastly you say God is what motivates all. What I understood from all of that is that a finite, chaotic entity is your motivation. I may be wrong reading into all of this so please explain (non-poetically if possible).

God is that which brought the universe to be. God is the root cause of all events.

I would tend to agree so far.
RoyLennigan wrote: The definitions line up so well, i figured they must be the same.

Here's where you lost me. If the definitions line up then God is chaos. Can't agree with you on that one.
i think that many people misunderstand chaos. chaos is beautiful. chaos is diversity--it is like a dimension of entropy. at a low entropy there is little diversity--everything is oneness like at the beginning of the big bang, or before god created the universe. at a high entropy there is much chaos/diversity. i see a greater variety of people populating our planet more and more each day. i see more diversification of our energy uses. i see more and more energy that was part of the one being split up and diffused. God's plans lead from a complete oneness--0 entropy--to complete diversity--infinite entropy. at infinite entropy, anything that can occur will have already occured.
Byblos wrote:
RoyLennigan wrote:But don't get me wrong, God is not restricted to time--it is just one of his characteristics. God has been here forever

Ok with this one but
RoyLennigan wrote: and change cannot come without time so time must have been here forever as well. So since God has been here forever, he must be at least part of time.

not ok with this one; you lost me again. God is the creator of time (time began with the big bang). A creator cannot be part of his own creation. God is not part of time, he transcends it. God is outside of time, that's why He is omnipresent and omniscient.
time is not something that any kind of entity can be outside of--so this leads me to believe that some inherent part of time is God. the reason i say this is because time is a measure of change. change occurs constantly and our idea of time is simply how we percieve that constant rate of change. time, therefore, must have been the first dimension--before anything else--because without the ability to change, no change can come. so God must be this motivator of change--this force that moves things through the dimension of time.
Byblos wrote:
RoyLennigan wrote:And i would posit that the soul is the energy constantly flowing through life. i believe God is the energy that pervades all things--that is the sole motivator in each living entity as well as every non-living thing. I believe that the energy circulating (and composing) our brain is what we refer to as our soul. And that this soul is released from our physical body upon our death so that it returns to the chaotic universe; that at this point we cease to think and we begin to simply know.

Again, energy is part of the creation, not the creator. Does God have energy? Perhaps infinitely so, but his essence is outside of his creation.
but energy is that which is able to do work. that is the exact scientific definition, no less, no more. God created the universe, which i would assume to be a very great deal of work.
Byblos wrote:Roy, are you by any chance part of the church of religious science (or science of the mind)? Just curious, nothing meant by it. I've been reading up on the church of religious science lately and I find similarities between what they teach and what you're saying here (I could be totally off base, of course, as is usually the case).

God Bless,

Byblos.
i've never heard of the church of religious science. my beliefs are derived from personal experience and my desire to combine science and religion through an understanding that language is merely a metaphor.

thank you for the responses; every idea i read of causes me to change my beliefs just bit. i am always in search of a diversity of beliefs.