Do we exist?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
godslanguage

Re: Do we exist?

Post by godslanguage »

We exist because we discuss our existence. However, the question I think is: what if time did'nt exist, would we still exist? I am not talking about the evolutionary time here, I am talking about the time in itself, time as something that marks our existence.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

godslanguage wrote:We exist because we discuss our existence. However, the question I think is: what if time did'nt exist, would we still exist? I am not talking about the evolutionary time here, I am talking about the time in itself, time as something that marks our existence.
Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure. (1 John 3:2-3)

When we enter in to Paradise to be with christ who is at the right hand of the father (outside of time and space) we will find out. So I guess as far as existence goes time doesn't matter or we could argue that God doesn't exist.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I post, therefore I am.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
FFC

Post by FFC »

[quote="SUGAAAAA"]All of us are made of millions of molecules, formed by atoms, which are made from even smaller particles. One would think that these particles are tiny solid balls, but electrons, protons, and neutrons aren't solid at all.[quote]

In christ all things consist.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I post, therefore I am.
What is the meaning of existance?

You are not the same person as you were 5 minutes ago. Every moment has an effect on who you will be in the next moment. Is the existence of the individual who posted this topic you only due to the continuity of actions between that individual and you at this very moment?

Liken it to a stream which sits in the quiet forest. The stream exists because of the water which flows through it. Yet the water which constitutes this stream is never constant.

So who posted above? You or the person you used to be? Or the person you were before that?

Deja Vu anyone? If you exist but have no memories of before what is the meaning of existence?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
FFC

Post by FFC »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:

You are not the same person as you were 5 minutes ago. Every moment has an effect on who you will be in the next moment. Is the existence of the individual who posted this topic you only due to the continuity of actions between that individual and you at this very moment?

Liken it to a stream which sits in the quiet forest. The stream exists because of the water which flows through it. Yet the water which constitutes this stream is never constant.

So who posted above? You or the person you used to be? Or the person you were before that?

Deja Vu anyone? If you exist but have no memories of before what is the meaning of existence?
To live for God in the present?
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

FFC wrote: To live for God in the present?
=)
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:

The only Deja Vu I'm having is from earlier in this thread. ;)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:

The only Deja Vu I'm having is from earlier in this thread. ;)
Sorry, I'm an amnesiac with deja vu, I think I have forgotten this before.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
omimanordude

Post by omimanordude »

I don't want to sound offensive here, but the whole discussion is back and forth the same things that the people posted here; they obviously won't change their views on this, because existing or not, we are Christian, and commanded to preach the Gospel. I know, this sounds kind of trite, but after some time in studying what the Bible has to say about Hell and the Old Testament people and all that in the past, I don't think it all matters anymore. Existing or not, I don't see this as going anywhere, and it's like Pascal wager; one hand, no existence, but the other, there is, and we need to preach the Gospel. Either way, it seems to pick the one that has the best outcome, and that is to believe that we exist, and that we are "here' to do God's will as Christians.
JCSx2
Valued Member

Re:

Post by JCSx2 »

Mystical wrote:I think we exist. In the sense that we aren't a dream or all that silliness people talk about. But, this world is not really "real." It's not where we belong. Our bodies are housing our true forms and allow us to interact in this realm. Kind of like The Matrix. When we die, we will begin to exist in our true realm.

I like that. Well put. (at least for me)
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

SUGAAAAA wrote:Is been on my mind for a while... Do we, or are we just "imagining" it?

basically, I want to know what your guys' basic thoughts on existence are...

if you've discussed this already somewhere else, you may post a link...

Well how about this theory.

We cannot exist in the past and we certainly cannot exist in the future, so we only exist in the present. But since we are never aware of the present until our senses inform us of it, therefore it is now an tiny moment in the past, then really we don't exist in time whatsoever. Therefore we do not exist at all.

Only in God's mind. :lol:

(by the way - i don't believe any of this)

Silvertusk
Swamper
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

I don't exist. You only think I do. 8)
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
Marcosll
Familiar Member

Post by Marcosll »

If we really exist or not is a great question that has been asked since the beginning of human thought.

I guess the only thing we know for certain is that we exist similar to how a virtual reality caracter exists. Let me explain.

If you play an online role playing game you know what I mean. Suppose you have a character in world of warcraft. Does that character exist? Well even though it is virtual, it still exists.

So there is no way to know for certain whether what we experience is the ONLY reality or just one plane of many. The only thing we really can say is "I think, therefore I am."

Latest studies indicate there are many planes of existance.

People who have experienced the spirit are conviced of this. The rest of us who havn't must "guess".
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

SUGAAAAA wrote:Is been on my mind for a while... Do we, or are we just "imagining" it?
Ravi Zacharias quoted a professor on the radio a couple of days ago; "And whom shall I say is asking?" Most certainly I do exist. I have a mother and a father and I am composed of real matter. other wise I would have to borrow from C.S. Lewis and say; "Please excuse me as I have mistaken a cloud of atoms for myself."

basically, I want to know what your guys' basic thoughts on existence are...
If I didn't exist, I wouldn't have thoughts, basic or any other type.

Reason is totally seperate from nature proving that we do indeed exist.
Last edited by Cross.eyed on Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the wretch the song refers to.