So yeah, this question isn't bugging me but I'm curious

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Vash
Recognized Member

So yeah, this question isn't bugging me but I'm curious

Post by Vash »

I believe I've known the answer before, but I forgot. The question is this: Why, if there is only life on Earth, did God create all the other planets of the universe?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: So yeah, this question isn't bugging me but I'm curious

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Vash wrote:I believe I've known the answer before, but I forgot. The question is this: Why, if there is only life on Earth, did God create all the other planets of the universe?
1. We don't know that life is only on Earth.

2. The universe declares the glory, majesty and strength of God. Read Psalm 8 for a good Biblical commentary on that.

3. God may have purposes, reasons and plans which we know nothing of and which He has chosen not to reveal to us. That's not always a satisfying answer for us. It is one however that recognizes that God is infinite, we are finite and sometimes the honest answer is "I don't understand."

Hope that helps.

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

Not only that, but the universe in which we exist is the size it is by necessity - a universe which expands without collapsing in a given time requires a certain volume, and a certain mass.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Fortigurn wrote:Not only that, but the universe in which we exist is the size it is by necessity - a universe which expands without collapsing in a given time requires a certain volume, and a certain mass.
Good Points!
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:Not only that, but the universe in which we exist is the size it is by necessity - a universe which expands without collapsing in a given time requires a certain volume, and a certain mass.
Good Points!
I don't understand this doesn't make sence. Are there predefined laws of physics which would force a created universe to be a certain size? It only makes sence within the context of the laws of this universe.

In otherwords this does nothing to further the reasoning behind the size of the universe outside the context of science.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Hi.

Well i think the latest science shows us that we needed an entire universe just so there can be life on earth. Also Gods original plan was to share an eternity with us - and so what better place than in a vast universe of such incredible wonders. When we are ressurected in our new bodies, i really think we will get a chance to see this amazing playground that God has created for us.

Anyway - that is just my two pence worth.

God Bless

Silvertusk.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:

Good Points!

I don't understand this doesn't make sence. Are there predefined laws of physics which would force a created universe to be a certain size? It only makes sence within the context of the laws of this universe.

In otherwords this does nothing to further the reasoning behind the size of the universe outside the context of science.

BGood, perhaps the degree of fine tuning is such that any other configuration would not have sparked life? (is this deja vu all over again or what?)
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Byblos wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:

Good Points!

BGood, perhaps the degree of fine tuning is such that any other configuration would not have sparked life? (is this deja vu all over again or what?)
In a created universe any arbitrary configuration should work. Unless you are trying to say that God has to obey pre-existing physics.

If this is true than the only conclusion is that the configuration is as such for a large universe, not the other way around.

Therefore the assertion that, the configuration is as such to allow life to occur on earth and as a result the Universe is large, must be rejected.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson