Howcome..

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Insider
Newbie Member

Howcome..

Post by Insider »

God sends non believers to hell to burn? Isn't that a bit harsh. I understand he'd have reasons to do so but if somebody was persuaded as a child that God wasn't real then they wouldn't bother learning about God as they have heard all this "evidence" against him. People who grow up with Christian family's have an advantage, I don't see why God can't just let people live in boredom instead of burning.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Reaad this and let me know what your thoughts are. This is from our main board.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/hell.html
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Insider
Newbie Member

Post by Insider »

Makes sense I guess. But what about those who haven't been told any evidence for God? Do they go to hell for not knowing?
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Insider wrote:Makes sense I guess. But what about those who haven't been told any evidence for God? Do they go to hell for not knowing?
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... heard.html
What will happen to the people who have never heard of Jesus Christ?
by Rich Deem
Introduction

Will all those people who have never heard of Jesus Christ be sent to hell? First we must note that the Bible says God will judge all people righteously.1 It seems there will be a stricter judgment for those who have rejected the gospel of Jesus Christ than those who have never heard.2 Paul tells us that those who have never heard of the law are not imputed sin under the law.3 Paul also tells us that those who follow the law (e.g., practicing Jews) will be judged by the law.4 The people who have never heard of the law are judged by the law of God which He has placed into their hearts:

For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness, and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus. (Romans 2:14-16)
Judgment

A further indication that the judgment of God is based upon what we know and what we have been given can be seen in a warning by James:

Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we shall incur a stricter judgment. (James 3:1)

In other words, those who know the gospel, study it, and teach it will be under stricter judgment, since they have the ability of guide others, or lead them astray. Jesus, in the parable of the Master and the slaves (Luke 12:41-48) talked about the difference in judgment between those who know the will of God vs. those who do not know:

"And that slave who knew his master's will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, shall receive many lashes, but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. And from everyone who has been given much shall much be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more. (Luke 12:47-48)
Don't know the name "Jesus"

Do people have to know the name "Jesus Christ" to be saved? Many people do not know that "Jesus" is not the "real" name of the Savior. His real (Hebrew) name is "Yeshua," which is usually translated into the English as "Joshua." The Greek transliteration is "iaysous." In fact, in three verses of the New Testament (Luke 3:29, Acts 7:45, and Hebrews 4:8), iaysous is translated into the English as "Joshua," since the text refers to the Old Testament saint. In addition, the word "Christ" is not Jesus' last name, but His title. The Greek word "christos" (translated "Christ" in the English) means "Messiah," the "anointed one." This is why the New Testament letters often refer to Jesus as "Christ Jesus," which means "Messiah Jesus." Other languages have different pronunciations of the name of Jesus. However, God is able to understand whom we are talking about and save us no matter what we call the name of the Savior. In addition, Job, from the Old Testament, was saved even though he did not know the name of the Savior.5 Therefore, although it is true that Jesus is the only way to get into heaven,6 you don't necessarily have to know His name to get there.
What about the Great Commission?

Does the fact that people do not need to know the exact name of the Savior mean that Christians should not evangelize those who have never heard the gospel? When Jesus appeared to the disciples after His resurrection, He commanded them to "make disciples of all the nations," which has been called the Great Commission.7 Although it might be possible for people to be saved in the absence of knowing the gospel, it isn't likely to occur in very many instances. Therefore, it is important that Christians proclaim the gospel as much as possible. Since we don't know if any particular person knows the gospel, sometimes we seem to be a little pushy. If you are a non-Christian, please don't take it personally. We are not trying to annoy you, but genuinely want you to experience the peace of Jesus Christ and join us in eternity.
Conclusion

Know Jesus, Know Life - No Jesus, No LifeI know there are many Christians who say that all those who die without faith in Christ will be relegated to spend eternity in Hell - even if they have never heard the gospel. I think scripture suggests otherwise - that we are judged on the basis of what we know and how we act upon it. This is not any sort of ecumenical theology or "all ways lead to God." Those who have heard the gospel of Jesus Christ and have refused to believe have rejected Him, and, as such, will fall under the condemnation of God, because they have rejected His provision for our disobedience.2 Therefore, atheists are still without excuse8 in rejecting God. Those who perpetrate evil, even without the knowledge of the gospel, will likewise be condemned, since they have violated their God-given conscience. In the same way, those who play the "religion game" of going to church on Sunday, but living apart from a relationship with God, will be condemned.9
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Insider
Newbie Member

Post by Insider »

Thanks, I should have looked around the site before asking these questions.

I didn't know that the bible mentioned that there is less punishment for those who haven't heard, but it makes sense now that I know.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Insider wrote:Thanks, I should have looked around the site before asking these questions.

I didn't know that the bible mentioned that there is less punishment for those who haven't heard, but it makes sense now that I know.
Not a problem. I don't mind cutting and pasting these up.

The main page of this board is a treasure trove of information and well worth spending some time looking at!

I hope you and others who see this will take a look.

Ask questions here too. There's room to discuss much of this and not everying here necessarily agrees with everything on the main board.