Cowardice

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ddsmom98
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Cowardice

Post by ddsmom98 »

In the bible it says that a cowardice will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Can someone explain to me what this means? A cowardice in regards to what?
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Do you perhaps have the Scripture reference for that?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

REV 21:8

not cowardice, but cowardly
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

YLTYLT wrote:REV 21:8

not cowardice, but cowardly
The KJV calls it fearful:

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Jesus reprimanded his disciples for being fearful. This attitude is a lack of trust in God. We are told countless time in the bible to "fear not" because God knows that we all have a tendency to doubt or worry at times, but I think this kind of fear or cowardice taken to the extreme is much worse than that. It's saying "I'm afraid to put my complete faith and trust in you, God, I'd rather go it alone in what I know. I'm don't think I can trust that you are who you say you are." This is flat out calling God a liar.

It's like standing on top of a burning building and refusing to jump into the firemen's net because you're afraid they won't catch you.

That's my take anyway.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
ddsmom98
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by ddsmom98 »

Thank you, now that makes sense to me. Your explanation certainly helped a lot.