Evolution, Age of the Earth, and my faith.

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Kerux wrote:Sorry, don't see the conection between a one (24 hour day) in seven day principle of rest, and believers entering into God's eternal rest.

Surely, you're not saying God has been resting since the creation of the world, in light of the fact, He sent His son to 'finish' his work?

"It is finished."

The work was indeed finished from the foundation of the world, but only in God's mind or purpose. The actual work was not done until Calvary.

I think you are confusing God's rest after Creation, (24 hours) and God's eternal rest after the finished work of Christ at Calvary, into which believers enter. God doesn't need to rest, per se, and 24 hours ie one day, was for our benefit, not God's.
You are going to have to explain this to me. Where does it say that God rested for 24 hours? And where do you get it that it was only "in God's mind or purpose"? The passage clearly says:
Heb 4:3 For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, "As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall not enter my rest,'" although his works were finished from the foundation of the world.
Heb 4:4 For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works."
Heb 4:5 And again in this passage he said, "They shall not enter my rest."

The rest being spoken of is the rest that God entered after finishing His works, not a "mental" rest as you propose. Clearly God is still in that rest, if we are to enter into it. Unless you wish to propose that works do not really mean works? The Greek here is more directly translated as "acts", and the "foundation of the world" from Greek is "being become of system". It supports my reading of the passage, that God has not acted in the becoming (creation) of the world, since He entered His rest.

I see you also did not answer:
You also have to show from the original Scriptures that the Hebrew word for day necessarily and always means 24 hours.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com