Anime/Manga

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.

Good or Bad?

This is a grey zone. It's between you and God
33%
Not all of it is good.
33%
Bad
No votes
If it's not God honoring, don't touch it.
33%

Total votes: 9

Missing13
Newbie Member

Anime/Manga

Post by Missing13 »

I didn't think this fit under morals, so I'm trying here first.

Uhh...how should I word this...

Ok, I'm a big fan of anime/manga almost to a point of obsession (yes, I realize this is bad and have been working on it). Lately it has been interfering with my devo's and such. I really like it and all, but I often feel God calling me to put all of it aside and just follow him. I really want to do this, but I really like the style. Is there any possible compromise to this, or do I really have to drop anime/manga altogether?
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Missing13, I'm a little old to still be watching cartoons but what is the main theme in all these? Is it eastern religion? Like Gia or whatever, just curious.

Theres an old saying "garbage in garbage out" The Word tell us that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. So I guess you have to decide, is it really worth watching these in light of the knowledge God has given you on the subject?

I had a similar problem. I grew up on Heavy Metal and the Oz man was my god for far too long... :cry:
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Birdie
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Birdie »

IRQ Conflict wrote:Missing13, I'm a little old to still be watching cartoons but what is the main theme in all these? Is it eastern religion? Like Gia or whatever, just curious.

Theres an old saying "garbage in garbage out" The Word tell us that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. So I guess you have to decide, is it really worth watching these in light of the knowledge God has given you on the subject?

I had a similar problem. I grew up on Heavy Metal and the Oz man was my god for far too long... :cry:
I don't see what the problem is. Is it because the Japanese have a different religion than Christianity? I guess some anime can be too violent or too dirty but American TV can do that too. And I think the main theme varies, like other TV shows. So did God say something about anime in the Bible, or is it just the fact that it's interfering with God? Because pretty much anything can interfere with God.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Anime/Manga is a media type of animation.

There's nothing inherently right or wrong with it as an art form.

It is how people use it. The message of it is what should be examined and it should be examined on a case by case basis.

Fron what I see of Manga/Anime it is utilized a lot for sexual and eastern religion type things. On that basis I don't see it as particularly edifying for Christians. That's my opinion in general. I have no doubt there are exceptions to that gerneralization.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Hi Missing13,

I think you answered your own question when you wrote:
I really like it and all, but I often feel God calling me to put all of it aside and just follow him.
We as Christians need to first and foremost listen to God above all things. At this time in your life God may just have better things in mind for you than the Anime. Whether it's wrong or right may be irrelevent.

It's like when Jesus told Peter how he was going to die and Peter pointed at John and asked "what about him?" Jesus said, "If I want him to stay alive until I come again, what's it to you...just follow me."

There are so many blessings when we deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow Him. It's not easy but so worth it.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?