Hezbollah claims victory

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Question: The UN forces do not have the mandate to actually keep the peace, correct? They can only wag their finger and say "naughty terrorists" correct?

Yes, that's correct Kmart. But remember that U.N. resolution 1701 was approved by the Lebanese cabinet unanimously. The cabinet includes 2 Hezbollah ministers. For now they agreed to abide by the cease-fire agreement. How long it will last is anyone's guess. I would say probably until the drumbeat for disarmament increases within Lebanon and internationally.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Byblos wrote: But remember that U.N. resolution 1701 was approved by the Lebanese cabinet unanimously. The cabinet includes 2 Hezbollah ministers. For now they agreed to abide by the cease-fire agreement. How long it will last is anyone's guess. I would say probably until the drumbeat for disarmament increases within Lebanon and internationally.
There is a simple Islamic proverb that says: "If you can't cut your enemies' hand, kiss it."

I guess they will be kissing until time is ripe to cut instead. :(
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Byblos...the UN cannot disarm the militia. So what if Lebanon approved of the resolution that gives the UN the right to do...what...act as more human shields when Israel returns because Hizbollah is still armed?

http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/012691.php
Hizbullah will not hand over its weapons to the Lebanese government but rather refrain from exhibiting them publicly, according to a new compromise that is reportedly brewing between Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Seniora and Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah.
According to Lebanon's defense minister, Elias Murr, "There will be no other weapons or military presence other than the army" after Lebanese troops move south of the Litani. However, he then contradicted himslef [sic] by saying the army would not ask Hizbullah to hand over its weapons.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Byblos...the UN cannot disarm the militia. So what if Lebanon approved of the resolution that gives the UN the right to do...what...act as more human shields when Israel returns because Hizbollah is still armed?

http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/012691.php
Hizbullah will not hand over its weapons to the Lebanese government but rather refrain from exhibiting them publicly, according to a new compromise that is reportedly brewing between Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Seniora and Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah.

According to Lebanon's defense minister, Elias Murr, "There will be no other weapons or military presence other than the army" after Lebanese troops move south of the Litani. However, he then contradicted himslef [sic] by saying the army would not ask Hizbullah to hand over its weapons.

That's the 64 million dollar question Kmart. On the one hand, Hezbollah approves of resolution 1701 and the deployment of the Lebanese army and the U.N. peacekeeping force, and on the other they say they will not hand over their weapons; they will merely hide them (for now). If their plan is to engage the U.N. force into the conflict then the whole world is playing into their hands. They swear allegiance and answer to a foreign entity and our government is powerless to do anything about it. Hezbollah cannot be disarmed militarily unless whoever's doing the disarming is willing to commit mass genocide. The alternative is a peaceful, gradual disarmament by making their weapons politically useless (i.e. by removing the very reason they exist as an armed militia when Israel pulls out of Lebanon, including the remaining disputed area in the south). Wishful thinking I know, but what is the alternative?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

If Lebanon won't disarm Hizbollah, is there as much of a conflict of interest (between what the soldiers would have to do and where their loyalties lie) if Lebanon stopped weapons from Syria at the border?
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:If Lebanon won't disarm Hizbollah, is there as much of a conflict of interest (between what the soldiers would have to do and where their loyalties lie) if Lebanon stopped weapons from Syria at the border?

If only it were that simple. The border between Syria and Lebanon is a no-man's land that makes the Mexican border here look like a stroll in the park. It's not just the inability of the army to patrol it. It's the conflict between the politicians themselves who, more often than not, have conflicting loyalties; to say nothing of the rampant corruption. And if Hezbollah can't get arms through Syria, they can always get it by sea or by air (directly from Iran). Corruption is not indigenous to the Syrian border. Welcome to the quagmire otherwise known as the Middle East.