Pluto may be Demoted - Conference this week

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sc ... 1263692006

Continued furor over the decision.

This article caught my eye for this statement made by an astronomer.
Martin Hendry, a senior lecturer in astronomy at Glasgow University and member of the IAU, said: "Unless the science underlying this is rigorous, how can we expect to agree on a definition that will be not only understood by ourselves, but other forms of life if and when we encounter them?"
How's that for throwing in a new factor?

;)

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

Pluto is no longer a planet. The reaction all over the world has been one of shock, horror, and an overwhelming sorrow. Yet this news should have come as a surprise to no one. The disappearance of Pluto was predicted over a quarter of a century ago: http://www.maryellenandtom.com/2002/pla ... utoart.gif
David Blacklock
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by David Blacklock »

"How can we expect to agree on a definition that will be not only understood by ourselves, but other forms of life if and when we encounter them?"

I think I would be willing to tke my chances on that problem. I vote that we get rid of what was called Pluto, as a planet. That would leave us free to get rid of the horrible name "Uranus," and rename that poor planet "Pluto."
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

What's wrong with Uranus? :P
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:What's wrong with Uranus? :P
Nothing as far as I can see... (Sorry I couldn't resist...). :roll:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
David Blacklock
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by David Blacklock »

>>What's wrong with Uranus?<<

Ask any 7th grade science teacher