I Used 2 Be Christian =(

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

I Used 2 Be Christian =( wrote:Well, I'm sure you've all heard this argument before, but could you explain the Christian point of view for me? Or maybe come to the site and do it there?
Why don't you just present it here? Why do you keep on trolling for us to go to an atheist site? Why don't you answer my questions?

To answer that argument, by what standard do you or the author wish to judge the intelligence of design?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I Used 2 Be Christian =( wrote:Maybe you guys should come and take a look at the website. (http://www.neoatheism.com/forums/index.php)

Some of their arguments are pretty good, I mean, just take a look at this!

I mean, I don't think I believe in evolution, but even that is disturbing ...
This guy is making a lot of half truths and assumptions. Satan did the same thing to Eve in the garden of Eden.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
I Used 2 Be Christian =(
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by I Used 2 Be Christian =( »

Wow ... thanks ... I just wikipedia'd it ...

I'm definitely not all the way back to Jesus, but I think you've helped. You guys should really come to site and argue your points of view ... you'd whip all those atheists easy :wink:
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Humans are truly the current pinnacle of the evolutionary train. The theist often claims that humans, homo sapiens, could not possibly arise with out a divine creator. When is the last time you saw a theist use his/her appendix? How about their coccyx (tail bone)? Human eyes are interesting things. Did you know if the light we see did not pass threw the neural connections behind the eye we would have better eyesight? In the cases of squids and octopi they have the neural connections behind the retina so they have better eyesight. Why did god make the eye less than it could be? Why do we have useless vestigial organs (appendix and coccyx)?

http://www.neoatheism.com/editorials2.html#design
Another common "vestigial" organ, according to many uninformed atheists is the human appendix. Since food does not flow through it, like the rest of the intestine, the assumption is that it has no function. It certainly does not have digestive function. This is true. However, the intestine is much more than just a digestive organ. An examination of the appendix microscopically, shows that it contains a significant amount of lymphoid tissue. Similar aggregates of lymphoid tissue (known as gut-associated lymphoid tissues, GALT) occur in other areas of the gastrointestinal system. The GALT are involved in the body's ability to recognize foreign antigens in ingested material. My own research, in particular, is focused on examining the immunological functions of the intestine.

Experiments in rabbits demonstrate that neonatal appendectomy impairs the development of mucosal immunity.11 Morphological and functional studies of the rabbit appendix indicate that it is probably the equivalent of the avian bursa in mammals.12 The bursa plays a critical role in the development of humoral immunity in birds. The histological and immunohistochemical similarity of the rabbit and human appendix suggest that the human appendix has a similar function to that of the rabbit appendix. The human appendix may be particularly important early in life because it achieves its greatest development shortly after birth and then regresses with age, eventually resembling such other regions of GALT as the Peyer's patches in the small intestine. These recent studies demonstrate that the human appendix is not a vestigial organ, as originally claimed.

According to Dr. Moore (Clinically Oriented Anatomy), "in infants and children it has the appearance of a well-developed lymphoid organ and may have important immunological functions."13

http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/ ... nebad.html (also refer to for the eye)
Furthermore, these argument commit a fallacy of assuming how God created or would choose to create. Such belongs in the realm of theology, not science.

Kurieuo
Last edited by Kurieuo on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
I Used 2 Be Christian =(
Acquainted Member

Ok, here's something I want to ask:

How come Luke 14:26 says "If any man come to me, and not hate his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sister, yet, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

I want to be Jesus' disciple, but I have to love my family too ...
Nick_122
Newbie Member

Post by Nick_122 »

Then how do you explain wisdom teeth, the third eyelid, the fact our eye design is flawed, and tail bone? (I don't have a tail :shock: )
August
Old School

Post by August »

I Used 2 Be Christian =( wrote:Ok, here's something I want to ask:

How come Luke 14:26 says "If any man come to me, and not hate his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sister, yet, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

Why don't you answer some of my questions first?
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I Used 2 Be Christian =( wrote:Ok, here's something I want to ask:

Jesus is giving a greatly exaggerated example of how much more we should love Him/God than anyone else...including our parents.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
August
Old School

Post by August »

Guys, please read the board guidelines that you agreed to before you signed up. If you don't start answering questions soon, we will assume you are trolling and you will no longer be welcome here.

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nick_122 wrote:Then how do you explain wisdom teeth, the third eyelid, the fact our eye design is flawed, and tail bone? (I don't have a tail :shock: )
You didn't try visiting the site linked to did you?

In any case, all these arguments commit a fallacy of presuming to know how God would create, or the way in which God would create. Such questions are best left for theology, not science, don't you think? :wink:

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nick_122
Newbie Member

Post by Nick_122 »

Jesus is giving a greatly exaggerated example of how much more we should love Him/God than anyone else...including our parents.
Doesn't that sound a little self conceded?
Guys, please read the board guidelines that you agreed to before you signed up. If you don't start answering questions soon, we will assume you are trolling and you will no longer be welcome here.
Who do you mean by guys? It is kind of a generic term, and if you mean me then ask away, I will try my best to answer.
I Used 2 Be Christian =(
Acquainted Member

August wrote:Why go there if you are Christian?
I told you, to broaden my education.
August wrote:Why don't you list the main reasons you think you are no longer Christian?
Well, I provided some of the editorials that have shaken my faith.
August wrote:What about them?
I explained how horrible those passages are ...
August wrote:By what standard do you judge that to be cruel and mean?
I think killing 70,000 people is mean.
August wrote:Do you believe that it happened or not?
Why would it be in the Bible if it didn't happen?
August wrote:Why don't you just present it here?
Because copy-pasting an entire argument here doesn't help - I wanted to show the original.
August wrote:Why do you keep on trolling for us to go to an atheist site?
Because that site has intelligent editorials I'd like answered.
August wrote:Why don't you answer my questions?
That's what I'm doing.
August wrote:To answer that argument, by what standard do you or the author wish to judge the intelligence of design?
Well, giving us unnecessary organs, like the tailbone, third eyelid, and things that Nick_122 listed seems unintelligent ...
August wrote:Why don't you answer some of my questions first?
Done.
August
Old School

Post by August »

Nick_122 wrote:
Doesn't that sound a little self conceded?
By what standard?

I Used 2 Be Christian =(
Acquainted Member

I know that this site isn't one for religious debate, I know you guys are all Christians.

But still, your faith must be shaken from time to time, and besides, debating people with different beliefs helps you understand differing views. That's why I provided a link to a site where we can debate.

It helped me to understand some of the atheist arguments, but now I'm not so sure about Christianity ...
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Here's what Darwin said about women... Why are you following him?

“The chief distinction in the intellectual powers of the two sexes is shown by man attaining to a higher eminence, in whatever he takes up, than woman can attain - whether requiring deep thought, reason, or imagination, or merely the use of the senses”

Here is another one about comparing women and men:

"If two lists were made of the most eminent men and women in poetry, painting, sculpture, music (inclusive both of composition and performance), history, science, and philosophy, with half-a-dozen names under each subject, the two lists would not bear comparison"

or

"Man is more courageous, pugnacious, and energetic than woman and has more inventive genius".

or

"Thus man has ultimately become superior to woman."
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8