The Temptation of Jesus

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Atticus Finch
Recognized Member
Christian: No

The Temptation of Jesus

Post by Atticus Finch »

Hello,

I am an eighteen year old being (I hesitate in claiming to be a man in fear of being mocked and feel silly saying boy) and before I delve deep into my little theory I feel I should describe my situation with Christianity. I'll keep it brief for now.

1) Raised by agnostic/atheist parents and general family. "God" of any religion or thought never mentioned at all.

2) Went 17 years without ever feeling the need for God or to "browse" religions.

3) In my senior year of High School I became very interested in the issue. I suppose this was just a part of maturing and considering life's more important questions.

4) Started reading the Bible. Picked out Jesus quotes which I used against religious people. Quotes about correct prayer and humility, etc.

5) After studying (from the Gospels in an attempt to find harmony within) the life of Jesus I realized that this is a beautiful belief and religion.

6) I am now still in an early phase of belief. I do however think that if any religion has a blueprint on God it will be this one. Christianity is love in its truest form and what else could be closer to God than that?

Now that my introduction is out of the way I can begin with some thoughts that I've been playing around with.

"And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man. " (Luke 2:52)

We have the births of Jesus and John foretold by angels and inner-dream visions to Zacharias, Mary, and Joseph. Both of these young children would've had a heavy burden placed upon them by their parents. Imagine raising a child knowing that he would lead the way for the Messiah, or that your very own child would be that Messiah! So here we can begin to understand that Jesus would've been guided by his parents throughout his childhood with extra care. This was not one to let loose to his own making of the world!

When Mary and Joseph find the twelve year old Jesus discussing scriptures with the elders, they are impressed at both his explanation of his stay and at the reactions of the elder people. Here is Jesus growing in wisdom and knowledge, in favour and in pleasing both God and his fellow man. With just one sentence we're left to either assume or ignore the next eighteen years (roughly) of Jesus' life. Whatever happened in this time, I can assume that the final verse of Luke 2 gives appropriate leading. Jesus would've begun to recognize his magnificent importance to the world; his purpose within his life and what he had to do at that point.

When Jesus was baptized we are told that the Holy Spirit descended upon him in the shape of a dove or bodily form. (Luke 3:22) Could this not be a simple symbolic message that refers to Jesus fully realizing his purpose and his mission? And God's voice proclaiming his happiness in Jesus to be the recognition of Jesus' purpose? I have a difficult time imagining God speaking in an aural form to the people along the Jordan River.

After his baptism Jesus goes into the Judean wilderness for forty days and is tempted by Satan. Could this be Jesus' own self-doubt and ego coming into play at the hands of Satan? A great example of this is where Satan tells Jesus to make stones into bread to stop his hunger. Jesus has fully realized who he is and his divine purpose. Perfect time for ego to play up and wonder, "Hey, I can do practically anything... can't I?" But then Jesus quickly rebukes this towering sense of self and ego with scriptural quotes. The other points of temptation all seem to be this very same thing; Satan acting through the self of a person and not as a physical being that comically brings to mind a stout little man with steam coming from his ears. This in no way (in my mind) contradicts Jesus' divinity, but rather shows a more modern and perhaps probable way that he was tempted by Satan. This also brings me closer to him in knowing that he suffered from temptation as we all do -- from within our own insecurities, anxieties and ego.

After this temptation, of course, Jesus went on to begin his public life as the Son of Man, or whatever we wish to call him. The temptation is the turning point (as I see it) in which Jesus gains the full realization, with full authority of a powerful baptismal experience, of his purpose and life.

Thoughts?

I'm sorry if this theory has been raised or is complete common knowledge ( :cry: ) but I have been meaning to share it with someone. I've been enjoying some of the threads here so I hope that I can stick around for a while.

Thanks.
Jorge S
Acquainted Member

Post by Jorge S »

Hi, AF

You had a very interesting opening post. I pray God blesses you all the way during your Christian walk and uses you for His Glory.

I don't find the passage of Jesus' baptism other than literal. It was God's first open and public appointment of Jesus into His Ministry. I think He had perfect knowledge of His Identity and mission but the same cannot be said about the people in attendance of the incident. Besides, the act fulfils the prophecy about John as His forerunner and establishes the rite of admission into His kingdom. This is also when the trinitarian composition of the Godhead is openly revealed, e.g. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are witnessed operating concurrently as three distinct Persons.

His dwelling in the wilderness after baptism finds parallel in the forty days and nights of God' revelation to Moses in Mt. Sinai. Interesting that there was a period of 'training' prior to the establishment of the two most important Covenants Our Heavenly Father has established: The Law through Moses and Grace through Jesus. It appears that what Jesus chose to tell His disciples about this period is only the incident of His temptation by Satan. His stay at the dessert was probably the time of preparation where He may have received specific orientation about His three-year earthly Ministry.

The Jesus we see after 40 days and nights of prayer and fasting does not show any self-doubt or ego. He is tempted by Satan into acting on His Own accord and the temptation here is more elaborate and pressuring than the one Adam and Eve yielded to. Jesus is not only challenged with Scripture but also with contemplation of earthly glory. His responses show discernenmt, firmness and spiritual supremacy. He undoubtedly declared that His Message would be one of obedience and submission to God, as He later taught and exemplified.

Hope this helps.

Blessings.
Atticus Finch
Recognized Member

Post by Atticus Finch »

But if it's to be taken literally, what form can we assume Satan appeared to Jesus in?

I have SUCH a difficult time trying to imagine anything but Satan working doubt, ego, etc into the mind of Jesus at that point.

Also, how is it known what happened to Jesus during that testing time in the wilderness? Did he tell his apostles once he had them?