Filled with the Spirit

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Filled with the Spirit

Post by FFC »

Ephesians 5:18
Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.

What exactly does it mean to be filled with the Spirit?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

My understanding of it is that it addresses all believers, because the Book of Ephesians was written to the saints, believers, the faithful in Christ Jesus. Thus, Ephesians 5: 18 is a definite command from the Word of God that we as believers should be filled. Acts 2:38 stipulates, "and ye shall receive [lambano, receive into manifestation] the gift of the Holy Spirit [pneuma hagion]." The promise then is made to you, as a believer, and to your children as believers, and to all believers until the appearing of Jesus Christ or the close of the Church Age.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

Gman wrote:My understanding of it is that it addresses all believers, because the Book of Ephesians was written to the saints, believers, the faithful in Christ Jesus. Thus, Ephesians 5: 18 is a definite command from the Word of God that we as believers should be filled. Acts 2:38 stipulates, "and ye shall receive [lambano, receive into manifestation] the gift of the Holy Spirit [pneuma hagion]." The promise then is made to you, as a believer, and to your children as believers, and to all believers until the appearing of Jesus Christ or the close of the Church Age.
But how is one filled with the Spirit? Are we talking about the Pentecostal Baptism of the holy Spirit or a general empowering?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

I see it as the Pentecostal Baptism of the holy Spirit.. Others may disagree.. To each their own I guess.. :wink:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

The word "filled" is in the Strong's dictionary as follows:
plēroō
play-ro'-o
From G4134; to make replete, that is, (literally) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (figuratively) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify (or coincide with a prediction), etc.: - accomplish, X after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfil, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply.
Could it be that Paul is simply calling Christians to not be drunk to excess, but to be satisfied with God and things of the Spirit?

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Context is a beautiful thing ;)

Eph 5 is dealing with living holy as God is holy. Live a life of love, submit to one another, etc. Don't be evil, don't be filled with wine, but instead be filled with the Spirit. This can't be referring to the baptism of the HS for two reasons:

1) This is a command. I don't think anyone can tell the HS what to do. "Spirit, FILL ME NOW!" ;)

2) The general context is about lifetsyle. Thus, being filled with the Spirit has to do with the way we live our lives.

Now, verse 19 and following tell us what it means to be filled with the Spirit:
  • Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Now, the NIV makes this a new sentance, but it is a continuation in the Greek. It should more accurately be rendered "speaking . . ., singing . . . always giving thanks." See, for example the NASB's rendering.

K is right about the word "filled." It means to be made full of, or completed, or something along those lines. In other words, don't be filled with the sinful lifestyle, but be filled with the Spirit. Wine is a great illustration, because when you are "filled" with wine you do less than moral things, usually. You are under its control, figuratively. Same idea here . . . live in the Spirit so much that you are under His control on a daily basis, singing, giving thanks, praising, submitting to one another, etc.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.