Introduce yourself

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Michelle
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Introduce yourself

Post by Michelle »

Hello all,

I am Michelle from Australia. I am not what I would call a Christian, but I do believe that God exists. I came across this site while searching for information regarding the Christian philosophy.

I hope that we enjoy each others posts and look forward to getting a lot out of this site.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Michelle wrote:Hello all,

I am Michelle from Australia. I am not what I would call a Christian, but I do believe that God exists. I came across this site while searching for information regarding the Christian philosophy.

I hope that we enjoy each others posts and look forward to getting a lot out of this site.
Michelle,

Welcome to the board and we're glad you're here.

We exist for Christians and Seekers to interact like this and so I encourage you to take a look around and jump in where you like or start a thread if there are issues you want to talk about.

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

G'day Michelle.
Nice to have another Down Under person on here even although you are the other side of the ditch!
Jump in and join the fun. This is a good place to learn things.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Welcome, Michelle!
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Hello Michelle good to see you...
Michelle
Recognized Member

Introduce Yourself

Post by Michelle »

Thankyou all for your welcome. I should actually tell you a bit more about myself.
I actually lost my faith quite some time back and am now sort of looking a the christian belief again. My post in Divorce and Remarriage might help explain things.
Anyway aside from that my main interests are politics, reading academic and other interesting intelllectual material, crafts and having good structured debates.
I have two wonderful disabled adult children and feel blessed and privileged to be their mum.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Michelle wrote:Thankyou all for your welcome. I should actually tell you a bit more about myself.
I actually lost my faith quite some time back and am now sort of looking a the christian belief again. My post in Divorce and Remarriage might help explain things.
Anyway aside from that my main interests are politics, reading academic and other interesting intelllectual material, crafts and having good structured debates.
I have two wonderful disabled adult children and feel blessed and privileged to be their mum.
Michelle,

Again we're glad you're hear and sorry you've been afflicted with so much difficulty in your life.

You're welcome to talk and take another look at your faith and see if perhaps there's more there than maybe you've seen or experienced before.

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
ic348
Newbie Member

Post by ic348 »

I'm sort of a 'cultural Catholic' Christian: I 'believe in belief' more than I 'believe', if that makes sense. I wouldn't claim to believe strongly or 'know' almost all of the most basic things of Christianity, let alone the Catholic version of it but I do have a strong admiration for the ethical teachings in Christianity and also the kind of God it portrays.

I'm an astrophysicist by trade and am active on a few message boards, including Richard Dawkins' board. I have admiration for Dawkins as a scientist but have very severe problems with the arguments presented in "The God Delusion" from a scientific and philosophical standpoint.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Welcome to the board, ic348.
I see you have already made some excellent contributions to discussion on certain threads. 8)
One does not need to be a convinced Christian to participate here provided that dialogue remains within the bounds of the Board Purpose. Any questions that you might have concerning the Christian faith, and that you think we might be able to answer, please do feel welcome to ask and discuss those with us as well.
ic348
Newbie Member

Post by ic348 »

Judah wrote:Welcome to the board, ic348.
I see you have already made some excellent contributions to discussion on certain threads. 8)
One does not need to be a convinced Christian to participate here provided that dialogue remains within the bounds of the Board Purpose. Any questions that you might have concerning the Christian faith, and that you think we might be able to answer, please do feel welcome to ask and discuss those with us as well.
Thank you. My motivation with the 'problems with Dawkins argument' post is to simply note that there are reasons to not like that book other than feeling offended by what he says. A lot of religious people were apparently offended. I hope it contributes a little bit to understanding some of the problems of talking about God, let alone how God could relate to scientific inquiry.