Did Abraham commit murder?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Michelle
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Did Abraham commit murder?

Post by Michelle »

I am wondering if somebody might clarify something for me that I read in the Bible. I was reading in the New Testament a passage whereby Jesus makes the statement that their 'father was a murderer from the start' some time back. As Abraham was the father of the Israelites is that who he was referring to?
I thought at first that it might mean Cain, however he had other descendents aside from Abraham who survived the flood and Jesus doesn't mention the same about them. I was wondering if it could be the generatons leading back from Abraham to Cain.
Also what did happen to the people Abram left behind? What happened to the descendents of Seth who also survived the flood, or for that matter what happened to the other family line?
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Abraham was descended from Seth, not Cain.

John 8:44 -- 'You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.'
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Michelle
Recognized Member

Post by Michelle »

Turgonian wrote:Abraham was descended from Seth, not Cain.

John 8:44 -- 'You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.'

Thanks for your reply! However, I am still slightly confused. When he refers to the Devil does he mean the Devil of this world indicating the first human to commit murder? I have been told by some people this is the case however something deep down tells me they are wrong.
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Why would the 'devil of this world' be the first murderer on earth, i.e. Cain?

The Jews prided themselves on being children of Abraham. Jesus tells them they're acting like children of the Devil. Not Cain, but Satan, the 'father of lies'.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)