christian politics

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Turgonian
Christian: No

Re: Christian politics

Post by Turgonian »

Michelle wrote:Anyway that is not why I wrote this post. I am actually trying to point out that it is rather amusing that in the Middle East they view democracy as important but believe it must be combined with religious principles and control. In the West we have a Christian based society but want to have seperation of church and state (and with good reason too). It is rather amusing that in a way isn't. Both societies believe in democracy yet have a different view of it.
I firmly believe democracy cannot be its own foundation; that will result in a flux of 'moments of power', one generation overthrowing the principles of another. I do not believe Church and State should be separated; I believe Church and State should both be subject to God's law, without playing dirty power games like sometimes happened in the Middle Ages.

We need to determine the values that shaped our culture and declare them binding.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Michelle
Recognized Member

Post by Michelle »

Turgonian wrote:
Michelle wrote:Anyway that is not why I wrote this post. I am actually trying to point out that it is rather amusing that in the Middle East they view democracy as important but believe it must be combined with religious principles and control. In the West we have a Christian based society but want to have seperation of church and state (and with good reason too). It is rather amusing that in a way isn't. Both societies believe in democracy yet have a different view of it.
I firmly believe democracy cannot be its own foundation; that will result in a flux of 'moments of power', one generation overthrowing the principles of another. I do not believe Church and State should be separated; I believe Church and State should both be subject to God's law, without playing dirty power games like sometimes happened in the Middle Ages.

We need to determine the values that shaped our culture and declare them binding.

While I agree with you in principle that Gods law should be entertwined with state law, unfortunately past experience has shown the consequences of what can occur when it does. Maybe the reason for this is seen from the old saying regarding absolute power corrupting.

Anyway I just enrolled in another year at uni doing Terrorism and Middle East studies so it should be quite good. Democracy is one of the key focuses of Middle East politics. Much better than the stupid unit I am currently doing. It is leaving me quite disillusioned. It is based mainly on corporate greed, and encourages dishonesty when dealing with the public. Presently I am doing Public Relations off-campus with a practically non-existent tutor. What little feedback I do get leads me to think that we are living in a very corrupt and greedy world! A guess how well you are going type course with no feed back! Does a lot for encouraging people. :?

Just wondering if anyone might have heard of Texas Christian University? I am studying the course through a uni here in Australia but we are using their text books. Its rather annoying too, because we are forced to buy Australian textbooks as well but have not even used them once for this course. They cost a fortune too, so it is a shame we buy them without even using them. So far doing this BA course I have spent thousands on text books and have only used half of them!
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Michelle wrote:While I agree with you in principle that Gods law should be entertwined with state law, unfortunately past experience has shown the consequences of what can occur when it does. Maybe the reason for this is seen from the old saying regarding absolute power corrupting.
Ah, God still isn't corrupt. :) I'm not saying the Church should have power over the State; binding traditional values should have power over both.
Michelle wrote:Anyway I just enrolled in another year at uni doing Terrorism and Middle East studies so it should be quite good. Democracy is one of the key focuses of Middle East politics. Much better than the stupid unit I am currently doing. It is leaving me quite disillusioned. It is based mainly on corporate greed, and encourages dishonesty when dealing with the public. Presently I am doing Public Relations off-campus with a practically non-existent tutor. What little feedback I do get leads me to think that we are living in a very corrupt and greedy world! A guess how well you are going type course with no feed back! Does a lot for encouraging people. :?
That doesn't sound too nice... 'Corporate greed' -- where, here or in the Middle East?
Good luck with your Terrorism and Middle East studies anyway. ;)
Michelle wrote:Just wondering if anyone might have heard of Texas Christian University? I am studying the course through a uni here in Australia but we are using their text books. Its rather annoying too, because we are forced to buy Australian textbooks as well but have not even used them once for this course. They cost a fortune too, so it is a shame we buy them without even using them. So far doing this BA course I have spent thousands on text books and have only used half of them!
Yeah, that sounds like a shame. Well, maybe you can still read them in leisure time, so that you won't have bought them for nothing...
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Michelle
Recognized Member

Post by Michelle »

Turgonian wrote:
Michelle wrote:While I agree with you in principle that Gods law should be entertwined with state law, unfortunately past experience has shown the consequences of what can occur when it does. Maybe the reason for this is seen from the old saying regarding absolute power corrupting.
Ah, God still isn't corrupt. :) I'm not saying the Church should have power over the State; binding traditional values should have power over both.
Michelle wrote:Anyway I just enrolled in another year at uni doing Terrorism and Middle East studies so it should be quite good. Democracy is one of the key focuses of Middle East politics. Much better than the stupid unit I am currently doing. It is leaving me quite disillusioned. It is based mainly on corporate greed, and encourages dishonesty when dealing with the public. Presently I am doing Public Relations off-campus with a practically non-existent tutor. What little feedback I do get leads me to think that we are living in a very corrupt and greedy world! A guess how well you are going type course with no feed back! Does a lot for encouraging people. :?
That doesn't sound too nice... 'Corporate greed' -- where, here or in the Middle East?
Good luck with your Terrorism and Middle East studies anyway. ;)
Michelle wrote:Just wondering if anyone might have heard of Texas Christian University? I am studying the course through a uni here in Australia but we are using their text books. Its rather annoying too, because we are forced to buy Australian textbooks as well but have not even used them once for this course. They cost a fortune too, so it is a shame we buy them without even using them. So far doing this BA course I have spent thousands on text books and have only used half of them!
Yeah, that sounds like a shame. Well, maybe you can still read them in leisure time, so that you won't have bought them for nothing...

Thanks for your kind remarks! I have been feeling a little messed up at the moment (as you can probably guess from some of my posts) with this unit at the moment. Although my text books are American based, the study itself is Aussie. The corporate greed I am referring to is in Australia, however many of them have parent companies in other countries including the US. Some of the things going on really disgust me. I am meaning corruption, perjury, fraud and the like. I thought I was alone in thinking that this type of thing is disgusting, however someone I know who is a lawyer has the same sentiments and has backed up what I am telling you. He is a corporate lawyer and knows first hand what is going on. For example James Hardy did everything that they could to avoid paying compensation to its asbestos victims including delaying tactics, and relocating overseas (when they realised some of the victims are still alive). There is a Make James Hardy Pay website but I am not sure of the exact site address. Another example is that of an American based company who have contaminated the ground and tried to bribe their way into getting away with it. The same thing has happened with an Australian company who have done the same. It is so wrong that these companies think that because they have so much money they can play with peoples lives and then bribe their way out of everything.

I already use the text books I buy anyway for other reference material as it assists with assignments. Thanks anyway I appreciate your advice!