Earth Center of Universe...

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
In God We Trust
Acquainted Member

Earth Center of Universe...

Post by In God We Trust »

Ok, i've tried searching for a topic about this, but after a few pages, i got lazy. :P

I keep seeing others, even believers (or at least so-called) stating, "The Bible says that, the earth is the center of the universe." I'm pretty sure the Bible does not speak of such a thing, and i also have some confidence that it might speak against such a thing. But my memory is failing me here. I would like to know if anyone could state these verses that say it is, and any arguments against this statement.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Earth Center of Universe...

Post by Canuckster1127 »

In God We Trust wrote:Ok, i've tried searching for a topic about this, but after a few pages, i got lazy. :P

I keep seeing others, even believers (or at least so-called) stating, "The Bible says that, the earth is the center of the universe." I'm pretty sure the Bible does not speak of such a thing, and i also have some confidence that it might speak against such a thing. But my memory is failing me here. I would like to know if anyone could state these verses that say it is, and any arguments against this statement.
This article in Wikipedia addresses it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemaic_system

Some interpreted some scripture earlier in Chrisitian history to support the earth at the center. Their interpretation of Scripture was wrong then and the very few who attempt to do so now are wrong as well.

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Michelle
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Re: Earth Center of Universe...

Post by Michelle »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
In God We Trust wrote:Ok, i've tried searching for a topic about this, but after a few pages, i got lazy. :P

This article in Wikipedia addresses it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemaic_system

Some interpreted some scripture earlier in Chrisitian history to support the earth at the center. Their interpretation of Scripture was wrong then and the very few who attempt to do so now are wrong as well.

Bart

Bart you and wikipedia are both wrong! The centre (and note the correct British English :lol: ), is the person you love the most. And just who do you think that is going to be on this forum! Where would men be without us females to set them right. :wink:
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

:lol: Very astutely and Britishly remarked, Michelle. :lol:
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)