The Watchmaker

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

The Watchmaker

Post by Kurieuo »

Paley's watchmaker argument was criticised because biological life is not mechanical like a watch. Yet, I came across an flash animated movie which I suppose is a response to such a criticisim. I enjoyed it and thought others here might enjoy it too. :)

http://www.kids4truth.com/watchmaker/watch.html
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: The Watchmaker

Post by FFC »

Kurieuo wrote:Paley's watchmaker argument was criticised because biological life is not mechanical like a watch. Yet, I came across an flash animated movie which I suppose is a response to such a criticisim. I enjoyed it and thought others here might enjoy it too. :)

http://www.kids4truth.com/watchmaker/watch.html
Very good!
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

Very nicely put!!!
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Tops! 8)
macguy
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Post by macguy »

Wow, even though the site is for kids, it's really interesting! :lol:

Thank you for sharing.
angel
Established Member

Post by angel »

While we are out for having fun... :)

http://www.jhuger.com/watchmaker
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Desire to draw out and comment on the main points you find significant?

Kurieuo
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

One that I noticed - it is not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as that in the original post. I found no soul. :(
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

angel wrote:While we are out for having fun... :)

http://www.jhuger.com/watchmaker
Angel,

This link goes beyond science and into promoting a philosophical position at the end that there is no creator or intelligent designer.

Is that the position you are promoting?

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

Wow Angel, you must also believe in this:

http://www.jhuger.com/ten_commandments
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I agree Bart. I see no reason why else such an article would be linked to without further comment.

I am familiar with the arguments which have been accepted by many as having essentially refuted Paley's Watchmaker argument. The page angel links to delves into some of them using a narrative. Despite this, Paley's argument is coming back today due to the Intelligent Design movement and belief that "intelligent causes are empirically detectable is to say there exist well-defined methods that, on the basis of observational features of the world, are capable of reliably distinguishing intelligent causes from undirected natural causes." (http://www.arn.org/docs/dembski/wd_idmovement.htm) If this were not so then many sciences methods as forensics, cryptography, archeology, and the search for extraterrestrial intelligence would be pointless.

Thus, I would argue there is validity to Paley's argument, albeit it needs to dialogue deeper with arguments such as those drawn from Hume's thinking. When delved into deeply, I believe it is possible to salvage Paley's argument from the criticisms leveled against it.

I would like to add that on a more basic level, I believe many do not need to go to such philosophical depths in order to be justified in accepting Paley's argument. If one believes they have experienced God within their faith, I see that such provides them with the foundations for accepting that they are more clearly able to see and judge the evidence in the universe for God's existence. Note that such is not an inductive argument to God's existence, but is rather deductive from one's already embracing God's existence.

Kurieuo
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Thanks Kurieuo,

I really enjoyed this one.. :P
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
David Blacklock
Valued Member

Post by David Blacklock »

>>Paley's watchmaker argument was criticised because biological life is not mechanical like a watch. Yet, I came across an flash animated movie which I suppose is a response to such a criticisim<<

Nice little film. The problem with the film, from the perspective of an evolutionist, is that it suggests that the timepiece couldn't have come together completely randomly. Of course, the filmmaker is correct. Randomness is a feature in evolution, but natural selection is also an essential part of the picture.

This film is typical in that it never mentions natural selection.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

David Blacklock wrote:>>Paley's watchmaker argument was criticised because biological life is not mechanical like a watch. Yet, I came across an flash animated movie which I suppose is a response to such a criticisim<<

Nice little film. The problem with the film, from the perspective of an evolutionist, is that it suggests that the timepiece couldn't have come together completely randomly. Of course, the filmmaker is correct. Randomness is a feature in evolution, but natural selection is also an essential part of the picture.

This film is typical in that it never mentions natural selection.
Like you stated before.. (in your own words).

"DB: There is no accepted scientific explanation for how life began. It's all speculation. Natural selection is not a factor in the first appearance of a living thing."

The film is starting with the beginning of life. Natural selection is not a factor.. :wink:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
David Blacklock
Valued Member

Post by David Blacklock »

Gman says (paraphrased by DB): You said in your own words natural selection doesn't explain the origin of life.

DB: Indeed I did and that is true. Behe himself, however, suggests that once the designer made the cell, evolution could have done the rest, in his "Black Box." In other places in that book, he seems to be more wishey-washey. The fact is, he has said it, and when pressed, has admitted the possibility that evolution by random mutation and natural selection is a possible way the designer could have done it.