Gen 32

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Turgonian
Christian: No

Gen 32

Post by Turgonian »

Who did Jacob wrestle with at the Jabbok?

From Clarke's Commentary:

Verse 24. And there wrestled a man with him] This was doubtless the Lord Jesus Christ, who, among the patriarchs, assumed that human form, which in the fullness of time he really took of a woman, and in which he dwelt thirty-three years among men. He is here styled an angel, because he was megalí¨n boulí¨n aggelon, (see the Septuagint, Isa. ix. 7,) the Messenger of the great counsel or design to redeem fallen man from death, and bring him to eternal glory; see chap. xvi. 7.

[...]

Verse 29. Tell me, I pray thee, thy name.] It is very likely that Jacob wished to know the name of this angel, that he might invoke him in his necessities: but this might have led him into idolatry, for the doctrine of the incarnation could be but little understood at this time; hence, he refuses to give himself any name, yet shows himself to be the true God, and so Jacob understood him; (see ver. 28;) but he wished to have heard from his own lips that name by which he desired to be invoked and worshipped.

Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name?] Canst thou be ignorant who I am? And he blessed him there - gave him the new heart and the new nature which God alone can give to fallen man, and by the change he wrought in him, sufficiently showed who he was.

It is possible, but according to some sources, it is far-fetched, and the Jewish explanation is far more plausible.

From Questions and Concepts for Parsha Va'yishlach:

Jacob engages in a most peculiar "wrestling match." Jewish and Christian traditions differ greatly regarding the interpretation of who Jacob is wresting with and why. Christianity often regards this angel as some type of pre-birth appearance of Yeshua and/or "God Himself." Jewish tradition holds a very opposing view, that this being is Samael, the guardian angel of Esau and incarnation of evil.

Contrasting these positions we have the following:

A. The prelude to this encounter must be considered:

- Esau is contesting the birthright issue - after all, Jacob did use trickery to acquire it
- In order to be "free and clear" of this, Jacob must get Esau to relinquish any claim
- Esau is coming to kill Jacob
- Jacob is in fear and prays to God for help

B. It is a fundamental principle of spiritual reality, that when "battles" are fought, there is an engagement in the spiritual realm before the physical fight takes place. (i.e., God had to "disabled" the gods of the Egyptians, Philistines, Amalekites, etc., before the Hebrew people could defeat them in the physical realm.)

C. It is another fundamental principle of spiritual reality, that when Jacob is "up" Esau is "down" and vice-versa. When one is increased (i.e., "blessed") the other is diminished.

D. Several problems are evident with the position that this being is Yeshua or God.

- Why would either God or Yeshua come to fight with Jacob?
- Why would either not be able to defeat Jacob?
- Why would either physically injure Jacob?
- Why would either refuse to give his name to Jacob?
- Why would either have to leave because dawn was breaking?

All of these actions are indicative of an adversarial angel.

F. The text states that Jacob named the place of this encounter "Peniel" meaning "Divine Face" as he "saw the Divine face to face." This verse is used by some to show that Jacob wrestled with Yeshua and/or God. However this idea is based on a lack of knowledge of Hebrew idioms and spiritual concepts. To put is succinctly, "Though all that is God is 'Divine,' not all that is 'Divine' is 'God.'" As we see later, in Genesis 33:10, Jacob tells Esau that seeing his face was like seeing the face of the Divine. If we were to follow the non-Hebraic teaching consistently, those believing Jacob wrestled with God, should also believe God looks like Esau.

What this wrestling ("entwining") episode is in reality is a the defeat of Esau in the spiritual realm prior to that in the physical. The angel is forced to concede any lingering claims he (and/or Esau) have on the birthright. This is the "blessing" the angels confers on Jacob. ("Blessing" = to increase, and Jacob is increased [and Esau diminished] by this blessing.) The result in the physical realm is that when Esau meets Jacob, he does try to kill him, but surprises him by greeting him warmly. The battle had already been decided in the spiritual realm.

I'm really wondering about this. If the latter explanation turns out to be more plausible, I might seriously start considering writing something metaphysical. ;)
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)