The Universe From Gas?

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Aviatrix
Recognized Member
Christian: No

The Universe From Gas?

Post by Aviatrix »

The universe in hot gas

Does the Bible say anything about the universe being a cloud of gas, or starting as such? :D
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: The Universe From Gas?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Aviatrix wrote:The universe in hot gas

Does the Bible say anything about the universe being a cloud of gas, or starting as such? :D
Gen 1:1-2

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

Formless could refer to a gas state. However, I don't believe that level of specificity is intended in this passage, not would the original audience have framed the question in this manner.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Aviatrix
Recognized Member

Post by Aviatrix »

Then He turned to the heaven when it was smoke...
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Aviatrix wrote:Then He turned to the heaven when it was smoke...
You'll have to explain if you have a point here ....
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Aviatrix
Recognized Member

Post by Aviatrix »

What do you think of the above statement, as far as reconciling science and religion, were you to find it in a religious text?
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Aviatrix wrote:What do you think of the above statement, as far as reconciling science and religion, were you to find it in a religious text?
I'd think you were attempting to set me up before answering the question. As its obvious that this leads into an Islamic text, what is it and what do you claim it shows in terms of scientific accuracy?
Aviatrix
Recognized Member

Post by Aviatrix »

Not really set you up. Of course it comes from an Islamic text, the Islamic text, the Qur'an.

You could answer by saying "it appears to be true," or "it appears to be false."
Dr. Alfred Kroner is one of the world's renowned geologists. He is Professor of Geology and the Chairman of the Department of Geology and the Institute of Geosciences, ohannes Gutenberg University, ainz, Germany. He said, "Thinking where Muhammad came from... I think it is almost impossible that he could have known about things like the common origin of the universe, because scientists have only found out within the last few years, with very complicated and advanced technological methods, that this is the case."

Also he said, "Somebody who did not know something about nuclear physics fourteen hundred years ago could not , I think, be in a position to find out from his own mind, for instance, that the earth and the heavens had the same origin."
Do you not expect that a text revealed by God would have knowledge that humans are not aware of, such as the nature of the universe?

It's common for atheists to use religious text to disprove the existence of God because of supposed inaccuracies. There are always the possibilities that first, they don't understand the text, second, that they don't understand the science. In the 19th century wasn't phrenology considered the most up-to-date way of judging personalities? :lol:

What would you do if you found scientific and religious agreement on these issues? Religion with science? Science with religion?
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Aviatrix wrote:Not really set you up. Of course it comes from an Islamic text, the Islamic text, the Qur'an.

You could answer by saying "it appears to be true," or "it appears to be false."
Dr. Alfred Kroner is one of the world's renowned geologists. He is Professor of Geology and the Chairman of the Department of Geology and the Institute of Geosciences, ohannes Gutenberg University, ainz, Germany. He said, "Thinking where Muhammad came from... I think it is almost impossible that he could have known about things like the common origin of the universe, because scientists have only found out within the last few years, with very complicated and advanced technological methods, that this is the case."

Also he said, "Somebody who did not know something about nuclear physics fourteen hundred years ago could not , I think, be in a position to find out from his own mind, for instance, that the earth and the heavens had the same origin."
Do you not expect that a text revealed by God would have knowledge that humans are not aware of, such as the nature of the universe?

It's common for atheists to use religious text to disprove the existence of God because of supposed inaccuracies. There are always the possibilities that first, they don't understand the text, second, that they don't understand the science. In the 19th century wasn't phrenology considered the most up-to-date way of judging personalities? :lol:

What would you do if you found scientific and religious agreement on these issues? Religion with science? Science with religion?
Of course, that is the purpose of this board. As it says in the banner, Harmony between the Bible and science. We do not exist to explore Harmony between the Quran and science.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: The Universe From Gas?

Post by Kurieuo »

Aviatrix wrote:The universe in hot gas

Aviatrix,

I see no reason why Scripture and science can not compliment each other, and the GodandScience.org website desires to provide harmony between the Bible and science.

In answering your question, which I see as ultimately one inquiring about what the Bible says about the universe's beginning, I would recommend reading the article: Big Bang - The Bible Taught It First!

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Aviatrix,

In my study of the so-called "science in the Qur'an" there is no science that was not known before the advent of Islam or is simply wrong.
Aviatrix
Recognized Member

Post by Aviatrix »

Oh okay. Well, in my study, there was plenty. I can provide documentation from scientists if you wish, who state that the first knowledge of some sciences is in the Qur'an but nowhere else.

That's not why I started this thread, though.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Aviatrix wrote:Oh okay. Well, in my study, there was plenty. I can provide documentation from scientists if you wish, who state that the first knowledge of some sciences is in the Qur'an but nowhere else.

That's not why I started this thread, though.
I read all the rebutals from answering-islam and talked to some people who are more knowledgeable about science than I am. I'm not good at science.

I also read what the Muslims present as science and debated a Muslim. This was about 3 years ago.

That is how I came to the conclusion that I did.

There are some claims of science in the Bible. In my opinion people make science where there really isn't any.

Shalom
Aviatrix
Recognized Member

Post by Aviatrix »

I love science. And it's in the Qur'an. Answering-islam rebuttals offer speculation and conjecture (i.e., make-believe) on how an illiterate man in the desert came across such astonishing knowledging to put it in the Qur'an, without anyone else around him knowing what he was talking about. The Muslims at the time didn't understand some of these verses that we do now.

Subhanallah.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Aviatrix wrote:I love science. And it's in the Qur'an. Answering-islam rebuttals offer speculation and conjecture (i.e., make-believe) on how an illiterate man in the desert came across such astonishing knowledging to put it in the Qur'an, without anyone else around him knowing what he was talking about. The Muslims at the time didn't understand some of these verses that we do now.

Subhanallah.
Looks like this one ran out of gas...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8