How do you know?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Charlie Brown
Acquainted Member

How do you know?

Post by Charlie Brown »

This might seem like a silly question, but how do you know you've accepted Jesus as your savior?
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: How do you know?

Post by Byblos »

Charlie Brown wrote:This might seem like a silly question, but how do you know you've accepted Jesus as your savior?

Well, for one thing I am presuming you are the one doing the accepting. For another, you are the only one (and God, of course) who can truly judge what's in your heart, whether or not your accepting of Jesus was genuine, or half-hearted and insincere.

I guess the question can be rephrased to ask how can one be sure they have received Christ in their heart. I think the answer would be similar and has to do with how genuine one's heart is in accepting Jesus. If you truly believe Christ's promise to save you then you have received him. No other person can be the judge of that, however.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Charlie Brown wrote:This might seem like a silly question, but how do you know you've accepted Jesus as your savior?
Do you know by faith in your heart that Jesus is the only way to be saved? If the answer is yes than you have.

John 14:6

John 1:12

John 3:16

1John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

I love John, he makes things so clear. We believe, so that we can know, so that we can believe.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Charlie Brown
Acquainted Member

Post by Charlie Brown »

Byblos wrote:

Well, for one thing I am presuming you are the one doing the accepting. For another, you are the only one (and God, of course) who can truly judge what's in your heart, whether or not your accepting of Jesus was genuine, or half-hearted and insincere.

I guess the question can be rephrased to ask how can one be sure they have received Christ in their heart. I think the answer would be similar and has to do with how genuine one's heart is in accepting Jesus. If you truly believe Christ's promise to save you then you have received him. No other person can be the judge of that, however.
This post makes sense. I guess it would be like someone asking to be your friend, but not being sincere about it. Well, maybe not exactly like that, but I'm not good with analogies. :)