How do you know that God has heard your prayer?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: praying

Post by Byblos »

akiracapsule wrote:In the bible it states that god is perfect, and has a master plan.

isn't praying for events, objects, and ANYTHING telling god that you want him to alter your plan?
How does praying change the master plan? If your plan is to become a doctor (and that somehow you foreknew it will happen), how does what you have for lunch today impact that goal?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

Asking God to alter His plan? Nope -- that's why Jesus taught His disciples to pray 'Thy will be done', in one breath with asking for sustenance, forgiveness and protection from evil.

Christianity is not fatalistic. It's not, 'God's plan will happen whatever we do.' It is, 'God's plan will happen for an important part because of what we do.' He doesn't only decree the end, but also the means. This includes prayers as well.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
omimanordude

Post by omimanordude »

God is in heaven, and cares for all of us. I believe that He does truly answer prayers, but not for things of nonsense, like winning the lottery or getting away with murder or something. All I know is that He has answered my prayers, that is, the ones that are important and I truly prayed for and needed.
Ashley
Recognized Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

content of prayer

Post by Ashley »

It may not be appropriate to post here but I don't want to open a new topic to ask.

I've no idea what content looks good for a prayer when my notebook computer was stolen in the restaurant. Should I pray for the thieves to repent or recovery of the lost computer, or a new one to replace the stolen for better quality...?

what prayers should i have if pickpocketed with large sum of money?

Nothing comes up to my mind for what I should pray.

Byblos
Old School

Re: content of prayer

Post by Byblos »

Ashley wrote:It may not be appropriate to post here but I don't want to open a new topic to ask.

I've no idea what content looks good for a prayer when my notebook computer was stolen in the restaurant. Should I pray for the thieves to repent or recovery of the lost computer, or a new one to replace the stolen for better quality...?

what prayers should i have if pickpocketed with large sum of money?

Nothing comes up to my mind for what I should pray.

I would pray for the wisdom and presence of mind to protect myself and my property. We cannot control what others do. All we can do is deal with our feelings in our own eyes and in the eyes of God.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.