The Book of Life

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

The Book of Life

Post by Jac3510 »

So consider me a bit of a soteriologist . . . I can't think of a better doctrine to specialize in. I have yet another "common assumption" that I'd like to challenge. This is an issue I encountered a couple of years ago, and it came up again recently. I defended it in passing in the OSAS debate (wasn't that a classic thread?!?).

Here's the basic question: how does one have his (or her) name written in the Book of Life? The universal answer seems to be, "You are added to it when God saves you." I disagree.

There are eight major places we find the book of life mentioned in Scripture. They are Exodus 32:32-33, Psalm 69:28, Philippians 4:3, Revelation 3:5; Revelation 17:8, Revelation 13:8, Revelation 20:12-15, and Revelation 21:27.

If I can summarize each of these for space interests, I would say that Exodus, Psalms, and Revelation 3:5 are references to names being blotted out. Philippians (along with the Psalm as well) reference the righteous being written in the Book. Revelation 13:8 and 17:8 talk about those not written in the Book worshipping the beast. Revelation 20:12-15 tell us that those not found in the Book are condemned for eternity, while Revelation 21:27 tells us that those found in the book will enter into Heaven.

Now, the first of these categories, for me, is the most interesting. We are told in four places that a name can, apparently, be removed from the Book. Of these, Revelation 3:5 gets the most attention and is typically written off as a statement of absolute negative to prove a positive point. This is, actually, the most common way to deal with it by those who adhere to the doctrine of OSAS. Jesus isn't actually saying He will blot out the names of those that don't overcome. He's just emphasizing the point that He will not blot out the names of those who do!

Well, given the other three references, I think that's probably not the best interpretation. The plain implication seems to be that a person's name can be blotted out of the Book of Life. God flat says in Exodus 30:32-33 that He will blot out the names of those who had sinned against Him with the golden calf, and in Psalms 69:28, David actually asks God to blot out the names of his enemies.

But wait. How can they be blotted out if they are not written in the Book in the first place? And would David have been inspired by the Holy Spirit to ask God to do something that was theologically impossible?

To me, the best way to overcome all this is to take it that the Book of Life is a record of every person who has ever lived. Simply by being born, one's name is entered into the Book. If this is correct, the question is not whether or not you get written into the Book, but whether or not you stay in the Book. And how do you stay there? By "overcoming" the world. By not "sinning against God." In other words, by being counted as righteous.

Who, then, are righteous? We know that only those who have put their faith in God are counted as such. Therefore, only the righteous will not be blotted out. The moment one is sealed in death and in sin, his name is removed from the Book.

On a final note, Revelation 13:8 and 17:8 may seem to pose a problem for this interpretation, but I submit these actually offer some of our strongest support. In these passages, we are told that those whose names are not written in the Book will worship the beast. However, we should also note that these are the same people who have taken the mark. For these people, there is no salvation (Rev. 14:8-11). Even yet alive, these people's fate has been sealed. But why? The answer is that upon receiving the mark, their names were blotted out. Being blotted out, they worshipped instead the beast, thus sealing their rejection of Christ.

In conclusion, as I looked through these passages, I found it interesting that while there are references to the removal of names, there is never references of the adding of names. We know two things for sure. First, the names of the righteous will be in the Book for all of eternity. Second, the names of the unrighteous will be removed from the Book. I don't see what other conclusion we can be left to come to.

Thoughts?

fakeedit: there are actually about a dozen other references that may have some bearing on this discussion, but they would be very debatable. For an easy way to get to them, search the word "blot" in a KJV concordance. You will find an interesting study in this as it relates to how the word was used and what that implied for the people or things being blotted out.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: The Book of Life

Post by puritan lad »

Jac3510 wrote:But wait. How can they be blotted out if they are not written in the Book in the first place? And would David have been inspired by the Holy Spirit to ask God to do something that was theologically impossible?

To me, the best way to overcome all this is to take it that the Book of Life is a record of every person who has ever lived. Simply by being born, one's name is entered into the Book.
Correct.

Exodus 32:33
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
LowlyOne
Established Member

Post by LowlyOne »

Wow. I haven't studied this yet, but my assumption as the common one for this subject appears to be wrong!
madscientist
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Book of life

Post by madscientist »

Well isnt it that the name of everyone is written in iut at the start and then as peple sin the names get blotted out? Thats my interpretation.
But this book of life... arent we supposed to interepret it as a metaphor rather than a real book? Where is this book? It is not in this wordl, so we can suppose it has no mass and is not made out of matter so is either abstract or exists just as God and all spiritual life exist - or in some different wordl maybe just a spiritual one or in a real one a diferent universe or so...
And what kind of "name" will there be? Just name how the person was called on this world?> There will be thousands with the same firsta nd second names so it will have to be a different way of having names.
thats my interpretation of BoL at least... 8)
"Love is only possible if a choice of either love or rejecting the love is given." One of the most true things id ever heard, not so long ago.

-MMS-
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

I think God has a way of distinguishing between sheep with the same names, Madscientist, never fear. ;)

The Book of Life is probably a metaphor. I've been told God has a pretty sharp memory. :lol: Doesn't need real books.

In one of the Left Behind books (which aren't written by the best theologians in the world, I know), a distinction is made between the Book of Life (with all people in it) and the Book of Life of the Lamb (with only the saved people in it).
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Donkey
Acquainted Member

Post by Donkey »

Rosh Hoshanah is the Jewish New Year and there is a very extensive bunch of info referring to the book of Life, which can be found on most Jewish sites which refer to the High holidays.

I am sure that we have true names which have nothing at all to do with the names we received when we were born.

We are all living pens of light which dance on the pages of the book of Life. What is important is that you write a story with merit.
phoney
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Re: Book of life

Post by phoney »

madscientist wrote:Well isnt it that the name of everyone is written in iut at the start and then as peple sin the names get blotted out? Thats my interpretation.
But this book of life... arent we supposed to interepret it as a metaphor rather than a real book? Where is this book? It is not in this wordl, so we can suppose it has no mass and is not made out of matter so is either abstract or exists just as God and all spiritual life exist - or in some different wordl maybe just a spiritual one or in a real one a diferent universe or so...
And what kind of "name" will there be? Just name how the person was called on this world?> There will be thousands with the same firsta nd second names so it will have to be a different way of having names.
thats my interpretation of BoL at least... 8)
It may be that the book of life contains the New name we shall receive as
in Isa 65:15 or Isa 66:22 or Rev 2:17 this name will be new to us but it may be the name that God has always known you by.