The Age of the Earth II - Any Update?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Jorge S
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

The Age of the Earth II - Any Update?

Post by Jorge S »

The chart at this page http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth ... verse.html triggered my curiosity.
Is there any recent development in Earth Sciences challenging the geologic time?
Thanks in advance.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: The Age of the Earth II - Any Update?

Post by sandy_mcd »

Jorge S wrote:The chart at this page http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth ... verse.html triggered my curiosity.
Is there any recent development in Earth Sciences challenging the geologic time?
No. If there were, it would be front page news. The page lists many different procedures for obtaining scientific information about the age of the earth. Anything new which would indicate a drastically different age would also have to explain why the present results are so far off. Many fundamental scientific principles would be overturned. [Conversely, one could argue that anything new would be suppressed because it disagrees with current knowledge and not be taken seriously or given a reasonable appraisal. This is more or less the same as not having much confidence in the scientific method.]
Jorge S
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by Jorge S »

Thanks, Sandy.
I am totally ignorant on these fields and a neophyte when it comes to consume information about them. My current interest derive from reading the usual YEC vs OEC battles accross Christian Boards on the internet. It looks inescapable a confrontation for obvious reasons.
I superficially read in passing about new arguments which might challenge the current timeline (something along the line that the geologic column may not need that much time as viewed at present) but don't remember when and where I got that information.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

Jorge S wrote:I am totally ignorant on these fields and a neophyte when it comes to consume information about them. My current interest derive from reading the usual YEC vs OEC battles accross Christian Boards on the internet. It looks inescapable a confrontation for obvious reasons.
Perhaps I should expand on my answer a bit. By "recent development in Earth Sciences", I am assuming you meant mainstream science. From such a perspective, an old earth is well established. Those who believe in a young earth have already discounted the old earth arguments given in your link (many of which I do not understand). Even so, I have not heard of any new arguments used by young-earthers.
As you alluded to, the gulf between the old-earth and young -earth adherents is so vast that it is difficult to have any meaningful discussion since there is so little in common. Starting from what views of science and evidence both sides have in common, it is a long distance to discussing the age of the earth.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: The Age of the Earth II - Any Update?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Jorge S wrote:The chart at this page http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth ... verse.html triggered my curiosity.
Thanks in advance.
The only information I'm aware of since 3/5/05 when that timeline was last updated is that astrophysicists have increased the estimated age of the universe from the initial point of the "Big Bang" to about 15.4 billion years.

This is due to their cleaning up some of the math and estimates involved based on better and more data. It'll probably change again in the future for similar reasons. In terms of the debate it's not a particularly important development and doesn't change the overall framework of the discussion.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender