Cure for cancer?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Cure for cancer?

Post by Byblos »

I was browsing the online news sources on Lebanon today as I usually do (when I want to get really depressed) and I came across an article on a young Lebanese medical student (24 years old) studying in France who might just have discovered a cure for cancer. The following is a link to a technical paper he wrote on the subject. Basically he discovered that a protein (Calreticulin or Cal for short) is able to trigger the immune system itself to fight the cancerous tumor and shrink its size by as much as 90%. Lab tests on mice were extremely encouraging. Human tests are 2 years off and, if successful, a drug is within a decade or less.

This is wonderful news indeed, particularly since the side effects are non-existent (Cal already exists in the body in every cell).

But this is not the reason I'm posting this. The reason is that in a recent interview with a Lebanese newspaper, the last question he was asked was 'would you like to add anything?' His answer: 'Yes, I would like to thank God (first) and my family'.

The article (in Arabic) is linked here.

Add him to the list of doctors who put God first, then family, and then science.

Byblos.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Cure for cancer?

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:I was browsing the online news sources on Lebanon today as I usually do (when I want to get really depressed) and I came across an article on a young Lebanese medical student (24 years old) studying in France who might just have discovered a cure for cancer. The following is a link to a technical paper he wrote on the subject. Basically he discovered that a protein (Calreticulin or Cal for short) is able to trigger the immune system itself to fight the cancerous tumor and shrink its size by as much as 90%. Lab tests on mice were extremely encouraging. Human tests are 2 years off and, if successful, a drug is within a decade or less.

This is wonderful news indeed, particularly since the side effects are non-existent (Cal already exists in the body in every cell).

But this is not the reason I'm posting this. The reason is that in a recent interview with a Lebanese newspaper, the last question he was asked was 'would you like to add anything?' His answer: 'Yes, I would like to thank God (first) and my family'.

The article (in Arabic) is linked here.

Add him to the list of doctors who put God first, then family, and then science.

Byblos.
That does sound promising. It will be quite a blow to the pharmaceutical companies I would think. And praise God for Doctors who aren't afraid to testify of their faith.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

But only Darwinists are real scientists, are you telling me that a pseudo-scientist found the cure for cancer? :wink:
angel
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by angel »

I believed we should have expected Jesus to be first source of salvation.
Does the doctor believes in divinity of Jesus? Is he catholic, Calvinist, Muslim, Jews, Ugonoth, Adoptionism or Antinomianism Apollinarism Arianism Audianism Bogomils Bosnian Church Catharism Christian Zionism Docetism Donatism Ebionites Euchites Gnosticism Henry the Monk Jansenism Luciferians Lollardy Mandaeism Manichaeism Marcionism Millennialism Monarchianism Monophysitism Monothelitism Montanism Nestorianism Ophites Patripassianism Paulicianism Pelagianism/Semipelagianism Peter of Bruis Priscillianism Psilanthropism Sabellianism Socinianism Waldensians?

I know the guy who was behind GPS and he is an atheist.
I suppose none of us should use GPS.

Let me try to be serious:
I would be glad if a scientific discovery is achieved, whoever has to be thanked for that.
Provided it is scrutinized by scientific community.
Until differently proven, that is the only way we have to guarantee the result.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

angel wrote:I believed we should have expected Jesus to be first source of salvation.
Does the doctor believes in divinity of Jesus? Is he catholic, Calvinist, Muslim, Jews, Ugonoth, Adoptionism or Antinomianism Apollinarism Arianism Audianism Bogomils Bosnian Church Catharism Christian Zionism Docetism Donatism Ebionites Euchites Gnosticism Henry the Monk Jansenism Luciferians Lollardy Mandaeism Manichaeism Marcionism Millennialism Monarchianism Monophysitism Monothelitism Montanism Nestorianism Ophites Patripassianism Paulicianism Pelagianism/Semipelagianism Peter of Bruis Priscillianism Psilanthropism Sabellianism Socinianism Waldensians?

Angel,

Your expectation is right on. You know well this is a Christian/Trinitarian site: Jesus IS God. As for the short list of religions/seudo-religions you listed, since they all appear to believe in some sort of deity, please see your expectation above.
angel wrote:I know the guy who was behind GPS and he is an atheist.
I suppose none of us should use GPS.

Even as a joke, no one suggested any such thing now did we? This post wasn't about atheists, it was simply about a God-believing doctor using his science for the betterment of mankind.
angel wrote:Let me try to be serious:
I would be glad if a scientific discovery is achieved, whoever has to be thanked for that.
Provided it is scrutinized by scientific community.
Until differently proven, that is the only way we have to guarantee the result.

Again, no one suggested that we discard scientific scrutiny, but some of us already know who to thank. Somehow it makes science all the more poignant.

God bless,

Byblos.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.