Salvation in the OT

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
krynn9000
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Salvation in the OT

Post by krynn9000 »

I have another theological question that has always intrigued me. I am actually just about finished reading the OT, and it always bugs me to think about the souls of those who came before Jesus. How does God save or deal with those who lived before the saving of all through Christ?

I mean, clearly there were many Godly people who lived during that time. Men like Moses and Joseph were friends of God. Also given the slow spread of information at the time, very few people living outside of Israel and Judah probably knew of the Hebrew God.

What you do all think?
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Re: Salvation in the OT

Post by bizzt »

krynn9000 wrote:I have another theological question that has always intrigued me. I am actually just about finished reading the OT, and it always bugs me to think about the souls of those who came before Jesus. How does God save or deal with those who lived before the saving of all through Christ?

I mean, clearly there were many Godly people who lived during that time. Men like Moses and Joseph were friends of God. Also given the slow spread of information at the time, very few people living outside of Israel and Judah probably knew of the Hebrew God.

What you do all think?
Let's wrap our brain around something else :) Is Jesus Eternal or is he only Eternal from his Birth? If he is eternal then the ones in the Old Testament believed on Jesus (Messiah) did they not?

Here is one for you :)

Num 22:5 He sent messengers therefore unto Balaam the son of Beor to Pethor, which is by the river of the land of the children of his people, to call him, saying, Behold, there is a people come out from Egypt: behold, they cover the face of the earth, and they abide over against me:
Num 22:6 Come now therefore, I pray thee, curse me this people; for they are too mighty for me: peradventure I shall prevail, that we may smite them, and that I may drive them out of the land: for I know that he whom thou blessest is blessed, and he whom thou cursest is cursed.
Num 22:7 And the elders of Moab and the elders of Midian departed with the rewards of divination in their hand; and they came unto Balaam, and spoke unto him the words of Balak.
Num 22:8 And he said unto them, Lodge here this night, and I will bring you word again, as the LORD shall speak unto me: and the princes of Moab abode with Balaam.
Num 22:9 And God came unto Balaam, and said, What men are these with thee?
Num 22:10 And Balaam said unto God, Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, hath sent unto me, saying,
Num 22:11 Behold, there is a people come out of Egypt, which covereth the face of the earth: come now, curse me them; peradventure I shall be able to overcome them, and drive them out.
Num 22:12 And God said unto Balaam, Thou shalt not go with them; thou shalt not curse the people: for they are blessed.
Num 22:13 And Balaam rose up in the morning, and said unto the princes of Balak, Get you into your land: for the LORD refuseth to give me leave to go with you.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Sorry to break into this, but I thought these articles were good too.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/faith.php

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/neverheard.php
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Gman wrote:Sorry to break into this, but I thought these articles were good too.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/faith.php

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/neverheard.php
Ah yes Thanks Gman!
krynn9000
Familiar Member

Post by krynn9000 »

thanks, you guys are great...I like the comment about Christ being eternal. It's comforting to know that Jesus didn't ask us to understand such things, he simply said, "YOU follow me."