John 20:28, My Lord and My God!

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

John 20:28, My Lord and My God!

Post by Christian2 »

John 20:26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”

28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas,[d] because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” (NKJV)

Question: Thomas calls Jesus, "My Lord and my God." Many of us take this statement to mean that Thomas recognizes Jesus as God and calls Him so.

Does the Greek support this interpretation?

I'm in a discussion where someone is saying that it does not.

Thank you.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: John 20:28, My Lord and My God!

Post by Byblos »

Christian2 wrote:John 20:26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”

28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas,[d] because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” (NKJV)

Question: Thomas calls Jesus, "My Lord and my God." Many of us take this statement to mean that Thomas recognizes Jesus as God and calls Him so.

Does the Greek support this interpretation?

I'm in a discussion where someone is saying that it does not.

Thank you.
I don't think there's any dispute as to whether or not Thomas addressed Jesus as 'My Lord and My God' (hO KURIOS MOU KAI hO THEOS MOU) and we know that Thomas was addressing Jesus because John said APEKRITHE...EIPEN AUTW(i). In virtually all cases where AUTW(i) was used, the words following AUTW(i) were addressed to the referent of AUTW(i), in this case Jesus.

There are some who would argue that 'My God' was used to address others in the OT (other than God) but it's a very weak argument at best.

A good reference for John 20:28 and the usage of "God" when addressing Jesus is Murray J. Harris' "Jesus as God: The New Testament Use of Theos in Reference to Jesus." (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Book House, 1992).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

αὐτῷ· [you] ὁ [are the!] Κύριός [Messiah!] μου [MINE!] καὶ [and] ὁ [are!] Θεός [God] μου. [MINE!]

Above is a translation from Greek text - notice what it is saying:

[autoo] You! [ho] are the! Messiah - MINE! and are the God - MINE!

That is the word order and it is emphatic that Thomas recognized Jesus as the Messiah and [kai] the [ho] God — mine or my.

He is saying this with vivid passion and extreme conviction — that is the voice behind Thomas' words.

hope this helps..
-
-
-
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

One of my favorites on the Trinity is "God in Three Persons" by Millard J. Erickson.. also of Baker books, Grand Rapids MI. Ironically my Grandfather use to be a full time employee of Baker books before he died back in the 80's.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

B. W. wrote:αὐτῷ· [you] ὁ [are the!] Κύριός [Messiah!] μου [MINE!] καὶ [and] ὁ [are!] Θεός [God] μου. [MINE!]

Above is a translation from Greek text - notice what it is saying:

[autoo] You! [ho] are the! Messiah - MINE! and are the God - MINE!

That is the word order and it is emphatic that Thomas recognized Jesus as the Messiah and [kai] the [ho] God — mine or my.

He is saying this with vivid passion and extreme conviction — that is the voice behind Thomas' words.

hope this helps..
-
-
-
Yes, it helps. Thank you.