What difference

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
johnnyboy08
Recognized Member

Post by johnnyboy08 »

zoegirl wrote:Interesting questions.

Interesting that you bring up losing desire. One thing that I find a great comfort in my God is that He created such wonderful things. He created all of the things we enjoy in life. Things we desire, such as food, companionship, intimacy, sex, creating. I know many people think that Chrisianity is about denying pleasure (shows ignoracne with scripture), but God created us to have relationships with each other, with husbands and wives, with His creation, and ultimatley with HIM.
I don't believe in right, wrong, evil, good, etc.

In Buddhism, there is no creator God. I believe that we are a higher form of creatures. I don't want to really go into details, but if you look at all the activities that brings us "joy", isn't all a point of view? If you viewed things in a way that contributing to our survival = good/happiness, and harmful to us = bad/hurtful, it makes enough sense to not need a God put these emotions there.

Take, for example, the love you feel with a spouse (my girlfriend and I plan to get married soon after college). Though I take none of it for granted, it feels good because in nature, two creatures united have a better chance of survival, even more so when they are more closely bonded(intimacy).

Or, having fun with friends. It's great; you feel fulfilled and joyous, but animals do the same thing. In packs, it raises the chances of survival, as well as a stronger urge (self-esteem) to do better, for sports or hunting or whatever.

I'm not sure how or why, but I think it is because of our minds we have able to rise above creatures. But we still retain our animal instincts; to kill or be killed at certain times, lust(strong need to reproduce to ensure future survival), anger(someone/something threatens our well-being), etc.

Since we rose above the animals, don't you think we can rise above their instincts, too?
johnnyboy08
Recognized Member

Post by johnnyboy08 »

Zoegirl, I'm confused...

What does "corruption" even mean?

I was raised with a mindset that stated humans are fallible and somewhat weak and simple-minded, but I don't really get it when people mention or use the words like good bad evil corrupt etc.
Ashley
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

A truth, not merely a method

Post by Ashley »

Aftre reading a few posts above, they gave me some more hints about the difference between the religions.

I think Christian faith is a truth so Christians try to please people; and what Christians are trying to do is humbling themselves and exalt the religion (to serve the religion, to serve the people)

Other religions are some methods so believers try to please themselves; and what these believers are trying to do is the exalt themselves so the humble the religion (to be served by the religion, although, luckily, needn't be served by the people)

But what is the difference between methods and truth? hm... let me put this way: I am living in Japan, not with my parents. I feel happy and feel good that I feel that I am a good guy... and a question emerges: do I really need a parent? my parents do not have ground to be existent in my presence (living alone is good enough for me, why they?) and should I simply end the relationship with them, and shrug off all responsibilities as related to them ? frankly I may lose my rag getting back to my parents' , the parenthood and different attitude (the traditional gap) make me hot under the collar at times.

Yes I feel good, but I can't deny the truth that parents are always my parents.

I think the reason that I choose Christian faith is because

(1) no matter what choices I pick for any religions,
(2) the truth is always there, and interestingly,
(3) the truth is not always a result of "feeling good", and
(4) irony of it all, "not feeling good" is simply a bell, alarming me to know and accept that, it is a concerte truth (they are my parents), irrespective of my feeling,

As one of the posts Enigma7457 wrote, Christian faith is truth so we believe.

Yes we can be busy about the methods to argue away our opponent, but it is not a matter of win-or-lose or which-is-better; and I think, please don't mistake a lot of Christians approaching you with sale pitch to promote a product for you to choose (that's not the purpose they approach you), and interestingly, bible shares some common point with other religions (like Buddhism, maiden believers can also feel comfort and feel good when pledged to believe; but comfort or good feeling is a result of religion, but not a criteria to choose the religion as choosing a commodity; probably all religions say something on human desire; sure, whenever we talk of human desire, it is always true, no matter what religion we tag. Muslim shares another bible and stories in there share something with Christian bible as I was told.)

However, it is not a question, which of the religions we should choose, but rather a question, which of them tells the truth.

Up to here, the only thing I think should do is: read the bible, to get what it says. Is it the truth?

But bear in mind: truth, does not necessarily bring in comfort and good feeling. I think that's what makes me a Christian, because it tells the cruel reality I have got something to accet and admit, as though, even though I living in solitude away from parents, traditional gap that grieven me, tells me that parents are always there that I can't deny.

Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: What difference

Post by Gman »

johnnyboy08 wrote:Good works? What about Buddhism, where the point is to empty all emotions and desires? There wouldn't need to be a savior then?
Johnny,

Basically Buddha taught, "You yourself must make the effort." As you yourself have stated, there is no right or wrong and there is no creator God which basically puts you in the driver seat solely.

On the other hand Christ teaches us to "Turn yourself over to me and I will give you peace to live successfully.." Therefore hopefully Christians put Christ in the driver's seat...
johnnyboy08 wrote:How do you know the others (Buddha, Mohamed, Osiris) did not die for their believers?
Because I have read them..

I thought this article was informative also...

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... igions.php

Enjoy..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

johnnyboy08 wrote:Zoegirl, I'm confused...

What does "corruption" even mean?

I was raised with a mindset that stated humans are fallible and somewhat weak and simple-minded, but I don't really get it when people mention or use the words like good bad evil corrupt etc.
Corruption means a change from the original design or intent.

You siad you started reading the bible. YOu have read in the Garden tht God created the universe and it was good. God created man and woman and it was good. God created a relationship between mankind and the earth (we are to have dominion or be in stewardship over the garden). God established that everything in the garden was free to us except the tree. we were to be given all good plants to eat except for the fruit of the tree. Soo all desires relating to these relationships were good, proper, enjoyable. God desired obedience from us, but we rebelled. We ate the fruit and you'll notice that all relatioships that were established have now been affected fundamentally. In our rebellion we lost that relationship with God. God being righteous, cannot in justice have a relationship with those in rebellion. The curse, notice, affected the relationships God had established. The relationship between God and mankind is broken (corrupted), the relationships between men and women, from parent/child, lovers, friends, are affected. And the relationship between mankind and the earth is affected. He was to toil and fret with the ground. It affected the desires, no longer do we look for God in the evening walk (what a sad little part of the fall, to no longer enjoy that evening discussion with God) but rather we hide from Him cause we are ashamed.

Fundmentally, we live for ouselves and not for God. Our daily lives are polluted with selfish thoughts. Not to say that we don't say nice things or can't fall in love, or even be unselfish. But every aspect of our lives are affected by our inherent sinful inward direction and focus of our thoughts and actions. Even good behaviour is corrupted by pride ("I did a good thing!" or "did they notice I did a right thing?") We may get upset if we are driving and we let somebody in front and they refuse to wave a thanks...."What!? YOu should thank me!"

That is what I meant. Any worries?

" where the point is to empty all emotions and desires? where would the need for a savior ...

I guess my question would be...why would you want to live without emotions and desires? And can this ultimately be acheived.
Ashley
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Joy in Faith

Post by Ashley »

Johnny,

I think that Zoegirl brought in some good points and the relationship with God was the source of the religion.

I want to add something; I highlighted the grief side of Christianity that is different from what you may have heard of the joy that the belief gives us. The "joy" that Christians talk of is the salvation. There must be your acceptance of the relation with God that Zoegirl talked about being truth, and such relation was ruined, and because of Jesus Christ, such relation is fixed and we are then put right with God again.

However, if an unbeliever does not accept the existence of God, and the Creationism, he won't understand the true meaning of what "joy" the Christians are talking about. So if he balances the other religions' method to reach ectasy from suffering in life (as though he does aerobic exercise) with the term "joy" in Christianity, it's pretty far out. (at least to my knowledge, please correct me if I take it wrong, but I don't want to mistake you by my mentioning the grief side only but there is joyful side of Christianity that other fellow Christians truthfully tell people)

Is the existence of God true? Is creationism true or, if it is true, is the God in such existence the same as the God in bible so that salvation is true? I guess that there is plenty of materials on this website you'd better read them first.

And for any doubt, you'd better ask the evangelists for serious understanding. if you choose to be blunt to challenge faith, it is welcome to me; I think,... I like blunt guys because blunt usually means honesty, tht i 'll never mind.

johnnyboy08
Recognized Member

Re: A truth, not merely a method

Post by johnnyboy08 »

Ashley wrote:
(1) no matter what choices I pick for any religions,
(2) the truth is always there, and interestingly,
(3) the truth is not always a result of "feeling good", and
(4) irony of it all, "not feeling good" is simply a bell, alarming me to know and accept that, it is a concerte truth (they are my parents), irrespective of my feeling,

As one of the posts Enigma7457 wrote, Christian faith is truth so we believe.

Examples please :o
johnnyboy08
Recognized Member

Post by johnnyboy08 »

Gman wrote:
johnnyboy08 wrote:Good works? What about Buddhism, where the point is to empty all emotions and desires? There wouldn't need to be a savior then?
Johnny,

Basically Buddha taught, "You yourself must make the effort." As you yourself have stated, there is no right or wrong and there is no creator God which basically puts you in the driver seat solely.

On the other hand Christ teaches us to "Turn yourself over to me and I will give you peace to live successfully.." Therefore hopefully Christians put Christ in the driver's seat...
johnnyboy08 wrote:How do you know the others (Buddha, Mohamed, Osiris) did not die for their believers?
Because I have read them..

I thought this article was informative also...

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... igions.php

Enjoy..
What's there to forgive in the first place?
johnnyboy08
Recognized Member

Re: Joy in Faith

Post by johnnyboy08 »

Ashley wrote: Is the existence of God true? Is creationism true or, if it is true, is the God in such existence the same as the God in bible so that salvation is true? I guess that there is plenty of materials on this website you'd better read them first.
Yes, I have just started reading up on this site's pages. Interesting indeed, although it will be some time before I finish the ones that I think are necessary/relevant. Any suggestions? :?:

Ashley wrote: And for any doubt, you'd better ask the evangelists for serious understanding. if you choose to be blunt to challenge faith, it is welcome to me; I think,... I like blunt guys because blunt usually means honesty, tht i 'll never mind.

There are a few Evangelists I've asked. They give different viewpoints regarding Creationism everytime, such as literal, metaphorical, God-guided natural selection, etc. Am I being blunt? I'm not sure if I am... but you don't mind :wink: Tell me if I am though, I've been told I'm pretty clueless when I discuss something for too long over too long a period of time :lol:
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

johnnyboy08 wrote:What's there to forgive in the first place?
Our sin... Think of it this way... Are you implying that we are perfect and that we love our neighbor 100 percent of the time?

Anything non-loving is sin... Prejudice against other races is sin, falsely accusing someone is sin, etc.. I can attest to you myself that I do not always love my neighbor. When I do this, I sin...

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
johnnyboy08
Recognized Member

Post by johnnyboy08 »

Gman wrote:
Our sin... Think of it this way... Are you implying that we are perfect and that we love our neighbor 100 percent of the time?

Anything non-loving is sin... Prejudice against other races is sin, falsely accusing someone is sin, etc.. I can attest to you myself that I do not always love my neighbor. When I do this, I sin...
"Sin" is only a point of view, isn't it?

Can you really define sin other than telling me that it's imperfection?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

johnnyboy08 wrote:
Gman wrote:

Yes it's imperfection in love.. The word "sin" is actually an old archery term meaning to "miss the mark.." Not hitting the target... But what it is really implying is not putting love first in your life...

johnnyboy08
Recognized Member

Post by johnnyboy08 »

Gman wrote:
johnnyboy08 wrote:
Gman wrote:

Yes it's imperfection in love.. The word "sin" is actually an old archery term meaning to "miss the mark.." Not hitting the target... But what it is really implying is not putting love first in your life...
So God is suppose to reject us because of this?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

johnnyboy08 wrote:So God is suppose to reject us because of this?
No, because He has sanctified us through Christ.. This is why Christ had to die for our sins.. He knows we are imperfect...

Here is another way to look at it.. Think of our sin roaring down the tracks (like a train) about ready to plow into you. And just before it hits you, Christ pushes you aside, saves you, and then takes the hit FOR you..

johnnyboy08
Recognized Member

Post by johnnyboy08 »

Gman wrote:
johnnyboy08 wrote:So God is suppose to reject us because of this?
No, because He has sanctified us through Christ.. This is why Christ had to die for our sins.. He knows we are imperfect...

Here is another way to look at it.. Think of our sin roaring down the tracks (like a train) about ready to plow into you. And just before it hits you, Christ pushes you aside, saves you, and then takes the hit FOR you..
Wow... That does sound wonderful to have do that for us. Did he do that for everyone? I mean, die for all of us?