Where did Enoch go? And a few other questions.

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Harry12345
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Where did Enoch go? And a few other questions.

Post by Harry12345 »

Enoch, to date, is the oldest living human ever... he's still living, because the bible never mentions his death like it did with all the other descendents of Adam. So where did he go? Why did he go there? Why him of all people?

Also, why did God randomly decrease human beings' life expectencies by a drastic amount? And finally, if he did decrease makind's life expectancy, why did Abraham live to 175? And why is the oldest human in the Book of Records 122? This breaks God's little 'rule', doesn't it?

I'm sure you guys have some cool answers to this, I'd just like to hear 'em. Thanks! :D
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Where did Enoch go? And a few other questions.

Post by FFC »

Harry wrote:Enoch, to date, is the oldest living human ever... he's still living, because the bible never mentions his death like it did with all the other descendents of Adam. So where did he go?
Actually, Elijah never technically died either since God took him up in a whirlwind. All we know from the scriptures is that he (Enoch) was there on second and gone the next...and that God took him. I figure God took him wherever old testament believers went.
Gen 5:24 And Enoch walked with God: and he [was] not; for God took him.

Harry wrote:Why did he go there? Why him of all people?
Good question. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this myself. Personally I would guess that it was a special sort of gift from God to Enoch for his exceptional service and close walk with Him.

Harry wrote:Also, why did God randomly decrease human beings' life expectencies by a drastic amount?
I don't think He did. I believe it was sin and it's consequences that shortened the life expectancies of His living creatures.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Harry12345 wrote:Also, why did God randomly decrease human beings' life expectencies by a drastic amount? And finally, if he did decrease makind's life expectancy, why did Abraham live to 175? And why is the oldest human in the Book of Records 122? This breaks God's little 'rule', doesn't it?
If you're referring to when God said the thing about 120 years, He was referring to how much time was left until the flood, not that humans would only live to a maximum of 120 years from then on. As for why people suddenly stopped living hundreds of years, I don't know.
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

Swamper wrote:
Harry12345 wrote:Also, why did God randomly decrease human beings' life expectencies by a drastic amount? And finally, if he did decrease makind's life expectancy, why did Abraham live to 175? And why is the oldest human in the Book of Records 122? This breaks God's little 'rule', doesn't it?
If you're referring to when God said the thing about 120 years, He was referring to how much time was left until the flood, not that humans would only live to a maximum of 120 years from then on. As for why people suddenly stopped living hundreds of years, I don't know.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. :D I'm guess the reason people stopped living for 100s of years is because either:
[*] Human being started sinning more often
[*] The absence of the Tree of Life gradually decreased Mankind's lifespan from 900 or so years, to 170 or so years, and then finally down to about 40 or 50 years. Medical Science has gradually started to 'lift it up' again.

That's what I think at least.
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

I'd like to know why God took Enoch and Elijah "up" since according to the doctrine of original sin they would have been sinners. :?