Rest for the weary

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Rest for the weary

Post by FFC »

Jac wrote:"what are people weary of"?
To make it simple, Working way too hard without a break. Whether in a spiritual sense or physical, this is a bad combination.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac wrote:I have a question. Matthew 11:28-30 says this:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (NIV)

What does this mean?
Canuckster1127 wrote:Well, I know when I've studied the passage in the past, the use of the word "yoke" was described culturally as extending beyong the illustration of an actual oxen yoke per se, and it was using a colloquialism often used in terms of the teaching of the Rabbi's. The contrast then compares the yoke of the law versus the light yoke of Christ.
I like this response and think it is the way to understand the passage. Rabbi's were respected teachers of their people and would gain followers of their own teachings. In this way, followers are considered to be "yoked" to a Rabbi's teachings.

I see Christ is saying His own teachings of Law and so on will not burden people like others, and that He is offering knowledge of something attainable and accessible to all. With the weary part, I can image people were finding it impossible to follow the teachings of Pharisees and other spiritual leaders, and so were constantly becoming disappointed and being left with despair. Christ promises that His own yoke is not the same, but will satisfy and give them rest.
LowlyOne
Established Member

Post by LowlyOne »

Jac, some material comes to mind that I urge you to get, for it deals with this very topic, and has great spiritual application and enhancement. Silent Killers of Faith, Bill Crosby, The Rest of the Gospel: When the partial gospel has worn you out, Dan Stone, and Grace Walk, Steve McVey. Each of them belong in the Christian's bookshelf. Believe that!