Poligamy

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Poligamy

Post by FFC »

Is poligamy unbiblical? Is the only reason we don't do it today (unless you are a Mormon) because it is illegal?

I'm reading Genesis and even our great forefathers Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob all had several wives, and it seemed to be the norm. Not to mention having extra-marital sex with their servant girls.

What gives? :?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Poligamy

Post by zoegirl »

FFC wrote:Is poligamy unbiblical? Is the only reason we don't do it today (unless you are a Mormon) because it is illegal?

I'm reading Genesis and even our great forefathers Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob all had several wives, and it seemed to be the norm. Not to mention having extra-marital sex with their servant girls.

What gives? :?

I believe that God established the elements of marriage firmly in Genesis. CHrist validated this as well in the NT.

On the flippant side....doesn't the myriad of problems that they had BECAuse of the polygamy provide evidence enough that it isn't wise :shock: :lol: Abraham was told by God that Sarah was going to be pregnant, and yet abraham did not trust God and slept with her maidservant. We need to be careful using examples in OT as condoning somehting.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Re: Poligamy

Post by Judah »

The Bible does not always approve that which it records.

What does the Bible say about polygamy?
Read this.

If bigamy and polygamy are sinful, why did King Solomon have 700 wives and 300 concubines?
Read here.

As Zoegirl pointed out, it certainly led to a lot of trouble.
For instance, when Abraham hopped under the blankets with Hagar, Ishmael was begat. And one of the direct descendents of Ishmael, as he made claim, was none other than Islam's prophet, Muhammad. :cry: