Someone Tell Me This Is NOT Literal!

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

Alas, the Book of Enoch was never included in the canon...so it can't tell us anything authoritative about angels. ;)
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
meforevidence
Recognized Member

Post by meforevidence »

Alas, the Book of Enoch was never included in the canon...so it can't tell us anything authoritative about angels.
Actually it was and still is in the Syriac and Ethiopian canons. The early Christians also considered it Cananical but this changed with the Council of Laodicea in 364 A.D.
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Enoch

Canonicity
The book is referred to, and quoted, in Jude, 1:14—15 (KJV):

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these [men], saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
Compare this with Enoch 1:9, translated from the Ethiopian:

And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones To execute judgement upon all, And to destroy all the ungodly: And to convict all flesh Of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, And of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.
The Greek language text was known to, and quoted by nearly all, Church Fathers. A number of the Church Fathers thought it to be an inspired work, particularly Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Origen, Clement of Alexandria and Tertullian, based on its quotation in Jude. However, some later Fathers denied the canonicity of the book and some even considered the letter of Jude uncanonical because it refers to an "apocryphal" work (Cf. Gerome, Catal. Script. Eccles. 4.).

The Jewish Sanhedrin at Yavneh c. 90 AD removed this book from its Scriptures. Partly due to this, the book was discredited after the (Christian) Council of Laodicea in 364. The Greek text was subsequently lost.

The early Christian father Tertullian wrote c. 200 AD that the Book of Enoch had been rejected by the Jews, because it contained prophecies pertaining to Christ.[3]

Some excerpts are given by the 8th century monk George Syncellus in his chronography, which are published in Dillmann's translation, pp. 82-86. In the 9th century it is listed as an apocryphon of the New Testament by Patriarch Nicephorus Cf. Niceph. (ed. Dindorf), I. 787.
Also see where Enoch is very much referred to in the Bible:
see: http://www.geocities.com/billykitchens10/EnochinNT.doc

Examples would be the "son of man" "the parable of the rich man and his barns" Azazul the fallen angel buried in the desert as mentioned in Leviticus, etc.
I was a former skeptic but now I am a strong believer in God and his word. I have a forum also with Christian Evidences supported with History, Archeology, Ancient Studies, and Philosophy at: //biblehistoryevi.freeforumsite.com/index.php I hope I can encourage many of you as many of you encouage me. God bless
phoney
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Re: Someone Tell Me This Is NOT Literal!

Post by phoney »

omimanordude wrote:In the Book of Genesis chapter six, the first few verses are rather confusing to me; The first verse of that chapter says "daughters of men". What does that mean? Who else could they be daughters of? The second verse says "Sons of God". Well, Angels, people of righteousness? Who are these "Sons"? Third verse, it states something I thought was a time limit for men; is 120 years the max for man to ever reach? I thought Noah lived longer than that? Then, the fourth verse states that there were "giants" in those days; what giants, and who are they? I really don't comprehend all of these first four verses, so please, anyone with a good knowledge of Genesis, help me out here. Thanks :o
I am by no means as qualified as most here, however I have an opinion
God may have other sons ( not begotten by human kind as Jesus ) and they came to Earth and took human women as wifes thus "daughters of men and sons of God. These children of the sons of God were men of great Stature. All people lived longer before they ate of the tree of life
that was forbidden which they were told if you eat you will surely die.
As soon as they ate the life span started getting shorter.
meforevidence
Recognized Member

Re: Someone Tell Me This Is NOT Literal!

Post by meforevidence »

fallen angels were demons, correct?
Demons and Fallen Angels seem to be two different kinds of beings.

The Fallen angels (or Watchers) with their new wives bore children who were Giants and they killed one another and some were destroyed in the flood according to Enoch and Jubilees. Demons seem to be the wandering spirits of the children of the fallen angels. http://www.heaven.net.nz/writings/thebookofenoch.htm

According to Enoch 19:3 and other Ancient Jewish Tradition, the wives of the fallen angels became Sirens. This word is also found in the Ancient Greek version of Micah in Micah 1:8
see:http://ecmarsh.com/lxx-kjv/Michaeas/Mic_001.htm (The word was later turned into the word "owl" when the Massoretic Text was created almost 900 A.D.
I was a former skeptic but now I am a strong believer in God and his word. I have a forum also with Christian Evidences supported with History, Archeology, Ancient Studies, and Philosophy at: //biblehistoryevi.freeforumsite.com/index.php I hope I can encourage many of you as many of you encouage me. God bless