The worship of Jesus

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: The worship of Jesus

Post by Fortigurn »

Jac3510 wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:What Jac did was say 'Here, most of these instances of the word refer to divine worship, so the others must as well'. That is not 'ample evidence that Christ was meant to be worshipped as God', that's an invalid extrapolation. It's the logical fallacy of the non sequitur.
No, I didn't, and you should know better.
Your words:
It is rather silly to assume that in ALL of these (or even any of them?) refer to paying respect to someone when it never, ever occurs in that sense elsewhere in the NT, save ONE possible, and debatable at that, example in Revelation.

So was Jesus worshiped as God in the NT? Yes . . . yes, He was
Emphasis mine.
I showed that every single occurrence of the word in the NT not connected to Jesus refers explicitly to divine worship.
Even if true (and I haven't checked yet), so what?
Do you really want to hold the idea that EVERY occurrence of proskuneo means "to worship" except when it refers to Jesus, and then it always means "to pay respect to"? That is simply absurd, especially considering that the word is connected with Jesus a full 30% of the time.
Why would it be absurd?
By your logic, word studies are meaningless.
That's not true. Word studies are important. But you didn't provide a word study, you provided a statistical study.
I can argue that theos means "to go to the bathroom."
No you can't, because there's no lexical evidence that such a meaning exists in the semantic domain of the word.
When you show me that the word doesn't mean that anywhere else...
I wouldn't even bother doing that, I would just point out that there's no lexical evidence that such a meaning exists within the semantic domain of the word.
Pierac
Established Member

Post by Pierac »

Sorry, my bad!

The author is Greg Deuble. It's from a book of his, I need to find the book to get the title. I have his name under a file with many of his writings that I have translated to word documents from that very book. I have a speech program and just read sections of the book and create a word document. I do this so that I can check for accuracy. So far I have found him to be reliable in his information. I have many such files on many authors. I create the file by the authors name and not the book. I believe he has only one book though. I don't trust people so feel the need to check out their studies. Too many people have an agenda! I'm sure you know what I mean. Thanks and I hope the author's name helps. Sorry I should have included it.

Paul
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Even if true (and I haven't checked yet), so what?
So feel free to check. You'll find it to be true. The point is that the NT usage of the word exclusively refers to divine worship. More on why this is important below.
Why would it be absurd?
For one thing, the central figure of the NT is Jesus. If all the NT writers use the word proskuneo exclusively in the sense of divine worship, it makes no sense that they would take this same word and apply it to their primary subject in a different way. All that would do is create confusion.
That's not true. Word studies are important. But you didn't provide a word study, you provided a statistical study.
Statistical studies are a very important foundation of any word study. You have Wallace's GGBB there. Check out his introductory article on methodology. If you dismiss statistical studies, you dismiss the very idea of a word study all the way around.
No you can't, because there's no lexical evidence that such a meaning exists in the semantic domain of the word.
Sure there is. I can just find a place where I decide it means that. Well, then out of the 600,000 times its used, then ONE time (because I decide it to be so) it means "to go to the bathroom." There. I just put it in the semantic range. You can't appeal to statistics here because you have already said that method is invalid and creates a non sequitur.

Now, obviously this example is very, very far fetched, but the principle should be obvious. I do believe that we must limit ourselves to a word's usage based on statistical studies of its usage elsewhere. But you are negating that idea in your response to me.
I wouldn't even bother doing that, I would just point out that there's no lexical evidence that such a meaning exists within the semantic domain of the word.
Your problem here is methodological. How do we determine the lexical meaning of a word? By examining its usage in our specific context as well as its usage in other contexts. We can then construct a semantic domain, and then provide a lexical entry.

Even more to the point, we can provide a lexical entry on at least three levels (so far as the NT is concerned). We can say the word means X in a certain author's writings; that it menas Y in the NT as a whole; and that it means Z in the broader koine literature. Always, X<Y<Z. But that requires statistical studies, and it further means that just because a semanitic possibility exists in Z we have no guarantee that the meaning is even a possibility, much less a probability, in X.

When we come to proskuneo, we see that the NT uses it exclusively of divine worship (not considering the meaning applied to Christ). I have not studied its usage in the broader koine, but it appears to have the simple meaning of to pay respect to in the LXX. And when we break it down to John's writings--the most important of which we are considering--we see that there is virtually no chance, statistically speaking, that the broader Koine meaning is a possibility. Why? Because it wasn't in John's semantic range.

Hope that helps.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

Jac3510 wrote:The point is that the NT usage of the word exclusively refers to divine worship.
Well that's what you're assuming. You're saying 'It clearly refers to divine worship 70% of the time when the meaning 'divine worship' is explicit, so it must refer to divine worship the other 30% of the times, when the meaning 'divine worship' is not explicit'.
For one thing, the central figure of the NT is Jesus. If all the NT writers use the word proskuneo exclusively in the sense of divine worship, it makes no sense that they would take this same word and apply it to their primary subject in a different way. All that would do is create confusion.
Why would it cause confusion?
Statistical studies are a very important foundation of any word study. You have Wallace's GGBB there. Check out his introductory article on methodology. If you dismiss statistical studies, you dismiss the very idea of a word study all the way around.
I don't actually have Wallace's GGBB here, but I doubt exceedingly that he makes the same argument you do. If he does, please quote here exactly what he says.
Sure there is.
Can you give me any evidence for this?
I can just find a place where I decide it means that.
No you can't. You would have to show me lexical evidence first. You would have to start with a lexical entry from a standard lexicon.
Well, then out of the 600,000 times its used, then ONE time (because I decide it to be so) it means "to go to the bathroom." There. I just put it in the semantic range. You can't appeal to statistics here because you have already said that method is invalid and creates a non sequitur.
Remember, I'm not the one appealing to statistics, you are. I don't have to appeal to statistics to disprove your claim regarding THEOS, I just have to point you to the lexical data, and your case collapses. You can't put it in the semantic range without lexical evidence that it belongs there. You have to start with the existing lexical entry.
I do believe that we must limit ourselves to a word's usage based on statistical studies of its usage elsewhere. But you are negating that idea in your response to me.
So if the word PROSKUNEO appeared in the New Testament 100 times, and 80 of those times it referred to non-divine honour given to men and the other 20% of the times it referred to God, would you say that those other 20% are obviously cases in which non-divine honour is being given to God?
How do we determine the lexical meaning of a word? By examining its usage in our specific context as well as its usage in other contexts. We can then construct a semantic domain, and then provide a lexical entry.
Yes that's correct. What we don't say is 'Well it appears in 5,000 texts we have, and in 80% of them it means X, so in the other 20% it must also mean X'. As you say, its use and meaning is determined by context, not statistics.
Even more to the point, we can provide a lexical entry on at least three levels (so far as the NT is concerned). We can say the word means X in a certain author's writings; that it menas Y in the NT as a whole; and that it means Z in the broader koine literature. Always, X<Y<Z. But that requires statistical studies, and it further means that just because a semanitic possibility exists in Z we have no guarantee that the meaning is even a possibility, much less a probability, in X.
We can only say that once that has been determined. It may be that the word means X or Y in a certain author's writings. It may mean X, Y or Z in the New Testament as a whole. It may be only used with the meaning Y in the broader koine literature. Those are statistics which are gathered by examining the word in each context in which it appears. It's the examination of the word in context which determines our understanding of the semantic domain. If we find a new koine text and we find that word in it, we can't say 'Oh, well in every other koine text we have the word means X, so it must mean X here'. It may mean Y in this place. It may mean Z. We can't determine the meaning by statistics, we have to determine the meaning by examining its use in context.
When we come to proskuneo, we see that the NT uses it exclusively of divine worship (not considering the meaning applied to Christ).
I don't believe that's true:

* Matthew 2:2: Did the wise men really come to pay divine worship to the baby they believed was the king of the Jews?

* Matthew 2:8: Did Herod say that he wanted to come and pay divine worship to the baby the wise men said was the king of the Jews?

* Revelation 3:9: Are those of the 'synagogue of satan' really going to fall at the feet of the saints and pay them divine worship?
I have not studied its usage in the broader koine, but it appears to have the simple meaning of to pay respect to in the LXX.
No it doesn't only have the simple meaning of 'to pay respect to' in the LXX. In Genesis 22:5 Abraham uses it for the worship of God he intends to carry out on Mount Moriah with his son. He knew this would involve a burnt offering, and this was clearly not simply a matter of 'paying respect' to God. But then we find it in Genesis 27:29 when Isaac blesses Jacob, and when Isaac says that princes would PROSKUNEW Jacob, it's unlike he meant 'worship as a divine being'. We cannot settle the meaning of the word in either case simply by statistics, we have to examine the usage of the word in each individual context.

If you want to look at the semantic domain of the word, try LSJ here. You will see that in every case it means prostration, or obeisance of some kind. It is the context in which the word is used which indicates whether or not the subject is divine, not the word itself. When we see the word used of God, we know that it's referring to divine worship because we know God is a divine being. We don't derive this understanding from the word itself, but from the referent to which the word is being applied, and the context in which it's being used.
And when we break it down to John's writings--the most important of which we are considering--we see that there is virtually no chance, statistically speaking, that the broader Koine meaning is a possibility.
You can't use statistics to determine how a particular word is used in a particular context, without examining the context. You cannot say that just because it was used with the meaning X in other texts it must have the meaning X here.
Why? Because it wasn't in John's semantic range.
[/quote]

I'm sorry, but when you say 'it wasn't in John's semantic range', do you mean to claim that he just didn't understand the full semantic domain of the word? Are you claiming that he thought it only meant 'divine worship'?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Well that's what you're assuming. You're saying 'It clearly refers to divine worship 70% of the time when the meaning 'divine worship' is explicit, so it must refer to divine worship the other 30% of the times, when the meaning 'divine worship' is not explicit'.
No, that isn't my argument at all. I never claimed it must refer to divine worship in every case in which it refers to Jesus. I claimed it is absurd to think that it refers divine worship in every single instance it is used in the NT EXCEPT when it refers to Jesus, and then in EVERY case there, it refers to the simple paying of respect.
Why would it cause confusion?
Because the authors of the NT have been exclusively using the word to refer to divine worship. If they then use the word with reference to their main topic in a totally different sense, you can thoroughly expect their readers to misunderstand the change in usage.
I don't actually have Wallace's GGBB here, but I doubt exceedingly that he makes the same argument you do. If he does, please quote here exactly what he says.
I'm hoping you are just not near your book, then. You remarked earlier that you use GGBB along with BDAG whenever you work with the Greek. Rather than waste time here, I'll let you refer to your own copy. As it happens, mine is in my car, and my car is in the shop for the rest of this day.
Can you give me any evidence for this? . . . No you can't. You would have to show me lexical evidence first. You would have to start with a lexical entry from a standard lexicon . . . Remember, I'm not the one appealing to statistics, you are. I don't have to appeal to statistics to disprove your claim regarding THEOS, I just have to point you to the lexical data, and your case collapses. You can't put it in the semantic range without lexical evidence that it belongs there. You have to start with the existing lexical entry.
No, you don't have to start with a lexical entry. I would have thought better of someone with an education in the language. A lexical entry is a conclusion based on a series of studies. You can't start with a conclusion. In other words, if I challenge the lexical meaning of the word, you can't appeal to the lexicon as evidence I am wrong. Of course, I would have a MAJOR task on my hands in proving my assertion, but that is as it should be.

Again, if you and I were to construct a lexicon, after we got our list of words, we would do studies on each one. We would examine their meaning in every context we could find it, construct a semantic domain, and based on that, provide a lexical entry. The problem, Fortigurn, is that this process is by nature inductive. If tomorrow a new manuscript is found in which the word is used in a different way than we have provided, or if someone presents a good case that we have misunderstood the meaning in one of the usages we examined, then we must modify our lexicon.

So, while I agree with you that an appeal to a standard, accepted lexicon is a good practice for academic work, and while I agree that it saves us the long, grueling task of doing in depth word studies on every word we want to talk about, I don't agree that we have to START with a lexical meaning.
So if the word PROSKUNEO appeared in the New Testament 100 times, and 80 of those times it referred to non-divine honour given to men and the other 20% of the times it referred to God, would you say that those other 20% are obviously cases in which non-divine honour is being given to God?
Of course not, because I'm not arguing that the word can only be used one way in the NT.
Yes that's correct. What we don't say is 'Well it appears in 5,000 texts we have, and in 80% of them it means X, so in the other 20% it must also mean X'. As you say, its use and meaning is determined by context, not statistics.
Of course not, because I'm not arguing that the word can only be used one way in the NT.
We can only say that once that has been determined. It may be that the word means X or Y in a certain author's writings. It may mean X, Y or Z in the New Testament as a whole. It may be only used with the meaning Y in the broader koine literature. Those are statistics which are gathered by examining the word in each context in which it appears. It's the examination of the word in context which determines our understanding of the semantic domain. If we find a new koine text and we find that word in it, we can't say 'Oh, well in every other koine text we have the word means X, so it must mean X here'. It may mean Y in this place. It may mean Z. We can't determine the meaning by statistics, we have to determine the meaning by examining its use in context.
I don't believe that's true:

* Matthew 2:2: Did the wise men really come to pay divine worship to the baby they believed was the king of the Jews?

* Matthew 2:8: Did Herod say that he wanted to come and pay divine worship to the baby the wise men said was the king of the Jews?

* Revelation 3:9: Are those of the 'synagogue of satan' really going to fall at the feet of the saints and pay them divine worship?
The first two are a reference to the "worship" of Jesus. They aren't under consideration. The last I've already dealt with. Don't pull a PL on me and not read my words, Fortigurn.
No it doesn't only have the simple meaning of 'to pay respect to' in the LXX.
Did I say it did? No, I said, "it appears to have the simple meaning of to pay respect to in the LXX." I don't see the word "only" in my statement . . . if you are going to read into my words here such a silly idea, I don't suppose I should be surprised that you believe I am arguing that a word can only be used one way in the NT.
You can't use statistics to determine how a particular word is used in a particular context, without examining the context. You cannot say that just because it was used with the meaning X in other texts it must have the meaning X here.
I'm sorry, but when you say 'it wasn't in John's semantic range', do you mean to claim that he just didn't understand the full semantic domain of the word? Are you claiming that he thought it only meant 'divine worship'?
No, and no. It is an obvious fact that different people have different styles of writing. Some writers use certain word constructions. Some are prone to short sentences, some to long. Some are more polished, some more vulgar. Some use certain words in certain ways. For example, Baptists like to use the word "save" to mean "go to heaven." So, when you read a baptist theologian and you see that word, you know immediately what he means. Others, like myself, would not use the word in that sense, both for theological and stylistic reasons.

The same thing is true in the biblical texts. Paul used the word "to justify" when talking about the moment of salvation; John used the word "eternal life." As we have it, the word proskuneo is used 60 times in the NT, and 35 of those usages were by John. He only used the word ONE time in connection to Jesus (I made a mistake earlier in my color coding). This is the same author who used the word with reference to men, God, angels, Satan, and idols. In EVERY case, he used the word to mean divine worship.

Does this mean that John was unaware of the word's other meanings? Of course not. But it does tell us that John was careful how he did use the word. Considering his purpose in writing, it is far from surprising. So when we come to the one reference to Jesus, it is not at all suprising that the word, contextually, conveys the same idea of divine worship.

Put differently, if we were to construct a lexicon of proskuneo based on John's writings, we would have one entry: "to worship."

The argument can be generally extended to the rest of the NT as well. Are there instances where it most likely refers to honoring someone? I think so. Matthew seems to use the word in both ways, but this is hardly surprising, either. Of his 13 usages, a whopping 11 of them are with reference to Jesus. And since he is painting a portrait of Jesus as King, His proskuneo will be a major theme. Some will proskuneo Him (right) as God. Others (both rightly and wrongly) as man.

In the end, my original argument still stands will all the force it ever did. Excluding the references to Jesus, every occurrence of proskueno in the NT refers to divine worship. It is absurd to think that every occurrence of proskuneo with reference to Jesus, then, would have a different usage.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

Well Jac, you're sending a mixed message here:

* The authors of the NT have been exclusively using the word to refer to divine worship. If they then use the word with reference to their main topic in a totally different sense, you can thoroughly expect their readers to misunderstand the change in usage

* Some will proskuneo Him (right) as God. Others (both rightly and wrongly) as man

So on the one hand you're claiming that if the NT writers overwhelmingly use the word for divine worship, and then use the word with reference to Christ in a totally different sense, then it will be 'confusing' and misunderstood by the readers (point 1), yet on the other hand you claim that this is what they do (point 2).

In other news:

* No I didn't say I used Wallace's GGBB with BDAG, I said I used Metzger with NA27, and I use LSJ and BDAG

* The word SARX (flesh), is used in an overwhelmingly negative sense in the New Testament, yet it is also used (in a minority of cases), in a completely neutral sense. Yet the New Testament authors seem to have had no fear of confusing their readers. Why do you assume that their readers would be confused by their using the word PROSKUNEW in reference to divine worship most of the time, and non-divine worship the minority of the times?

* In the LXX, PROSKUNEW is used overwhelmingly of divine worship, and yet is also used of obeisance to men - do you think this is 'confusing'?

* When you said 'it appears to have the simple meaning of to pay respect to in the LXX', it's clear you mean that in the LXX it has the simple meaning of 'to pay respect'. If in fact you meant 'It doesn't have the simple meaning of 'to pay respect', it has a range of meanings', then I suggest you work on how you phrase your sentences

* Whether or not you think that Mathew 2:2, 8 are under consideration, I'd appreciate a clear answer on these questions please - are these two instances of PROSKUNEW instances in which divine worship is paid to Christ?

* You argue that Revelation 3:9 speaks of those of the synagogue of satan worshiping God at the feet of the saints, but that's not what it says - I think you need to look at this verse more closely

* Yes, when we want to examine the meaning of a word we do indeed start with the lexical entry. We do not, as you suggest would be valid, assert a totally new meaning for the word, dismissing the lexical entry, and then go looking for support for the new meaning. You cannot assert a new meaning until you have provided new lexical data demonstrating that the current lexical entry is incomplete or inaccurate

* This means that if you challenge the lexical meaning of the word, you must have already done a new study with new lexical data, demonstrating the new meaning

* In the hypothetical case of THEOS which you raised, no new lexical data was being appealed to, so it is legitimate for me to reject a suggestion which is not in the current lexicons. If you say 'THEOS here means 'go to the bathroom', you are asserting a new meaning for the word in a text which has already been examined

* You have assumed that since John overwhelmingly used PROSKUNEW with reference to divine worship, his use of it in reference to Christ must necessarily be the same. Why?
Excluding the references to Jesus, every occurrence of proskueno in the NT refers to divine worship. It is absurd to think that every occurrence of proskuneo with reference to Jesus, then, would have a different usage.
It is not absurd if Jesus is a man.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

Pierac wrote:Sorry, my bad!

The author is Greg Deuble. It's from a book of his, I need to find the book to get the title. I have his name under a file with many of his writings that I have translated to word documents from that very book. I have a speech program and just read sections of the book and create a word document. I do this so that I can check for accuracy. So far I have found him to be reliable in his information. I have many such files on many authors. I create the file by the authors name and not the book. I believe he has only one book though. I don't trust people so feel the need to check out their studies. Too many people have an agenda! I'm sure you know what I mean. Thanks and I hope the author's name helps. Sorry I should have included it.

Paul
Thanks Paul!