More Trinity stuff

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.

Must a person believe in the Trinity to be saved?

Yes
25%
No
75%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes: 12

B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: More Trinity stuff

Post by B. W. »

Pierac wrote:....That's easy, there is no Trinity.
Wow, after 27 years you leaned nothing of Christian doctrine?

What did you learn during those 27 years? You had to hear and had learned something during that time - what was it - that is what I am asking - not you current opinion or your stance.

Were you a member of some church — if so - which one?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Pierac you do not accept the Christian doctrine of the Trinity. Pierac if I understand you correctly you believe that Jesus was only a mere mortal man and nothing else other that agents of God like a Prophet or someone like that who was endued with the Spirit of God sent to do a certain task. Below is my response to you regarding this subject:
B.W. wrote: Who then is Jesus you believe in - why the cross and resurrection?
Pierac wrote:....First, “why the cross” Because with out the shedding of Blood there can be no forgiveness of sin. The offering had to be with out blemish.
Also … Col 1:19 For in him (Jesus) all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross...Now do you want to know who Jesus is to me? Jesus is the Son Of God. Jesus is the [u Prophesied Messiah[/u]. Jesus is our Lord and Savior. Jesus is our brother. Jesus is our role model. Jesus is also our mediator with God.

Jesus is the Messiah, the king of Israel. He is the anointed one of God. God has anointed Jesus with His spirit and this is how God is with us. It is God working through Jesus. God did not come AS Jesus, He came IN Jesus. The best definition of Jesus is given by Peter in Acts 2:22 and Acts 10:38 "Jesus the Nazorean was a man commended to you by God with mighty deeds, wonders and signs, which God worked through him in your midst."
"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power. He went about doing good and healing all those oppressed by the devil, for God was with him."
Peace, Paul
Your belief that Jesus as only a mere mortal man cannot be reconciled to the following scriptures

Isaiah 43:10, "Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. 11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no Savior." KJV

Hosea 13:4, “I, the LORD, have been your God since the time you were in Egypt. I am the only God you know, the only one who can save. -- Hosea 13:4, “But I am the LORD your God from the land of Egypt; you know no God but me, and besides me there is no savior.” ESV

Isaiah 42:5-8, "Thus saith God the LORD, He that created the heavens, and stretched them forth, He that spread forth the earth and that which cometh out of it, He that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein: 6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and have taken hold of thy hand, and kept thee, and set thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the nations; 7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison-house. 8 I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images.." JPS

Note how the CEV translates verse 8 in Isaiah 42:8, "My name is the LORD! I won't let idols or humans share my glory and praise."

Isaiah 48:11-12, "For Mine own sake, for Mine own sake, will I do it; for how should it be profaned? And My glory will I not give to another. 12 Hearken unto Me, O Jacob, and Israel My called: I am He; I am the first, I also am the last."

Isaiah 59:1, "Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear..."

Isaiah 59:15-17, "Yea, truth faileth; and he that departeth from evil maketh himself a prey: and the LORD saw it, and it displeased him that there was no judgment.16 And he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore his arm brought salvation unto him; and his righteousness, it sustained him.17 For he put on righteousness as a breastplate, and an helmet of salvation upon his head; and he put on the garments of vengeance for clothing, and was clad with zeal as a cloke." KJV

Isaiah 45:21-24, "Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. 23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. 24 Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed." KJV

Psalms 65:5, "You will give us an answer in righteousness by great acts of power, O God of our salvation; you who are the hope of all the ends of the earth, and of the far-off lands of the sea..." BBE

Your doctrine defies these very scriptures posted above and you declared?:

"Jesus is the Son Of God.
Jesus is the Prophesied Messiah.
Jesus is our Lord and Savior.
Jesus is our brother.
Jesus is our role model.
Jesus is also our mediator with God."

How can Jesus be any of these if he was but a mere mortal agent if the bible states, - , "I even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no Savior… I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images.

And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth." Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!" And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!" And the four living creatures said, "Amen!" and the elders fell down and worshiped.” Revelation 5. — ESV

Your doctrine violates Revelations chapter 5...

And again you stated:
“First, “why the cross” Because with out the shedding of Blood there can be no forgiveness of sin. The offering had to be with out blemish…Also … Col 1:19 For in him (Jesus) all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.”
Only God can save and do this as he will not share that glory with another. How:

Isaiah 53:1-3, "Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? 2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not." KJV

You also forgot Hebrews 9:28, “so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.” ESV

Again:

Isaiah 45:21-24, "Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? Who hath told it from that time? Have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. 23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. 24 Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed." KJV

The Word is gone forth from who's mouth?

Your defining John 1:1-14 and explaining away the meaning of the text through philosophy and human wisdom does not jive with the same author who wrote 1 John 1:1-3 as well as 1 John 2:22-25.

Every knee shall Bow?

Philippians 2:10-11, “so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” ESV

Again, as it is written - “I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images.

Your doctrine violates scripture evidence of who Jesus is. This is demonstrated without using excessive verbiage based on the windy philosophy and wisdom of men which you use to nullify clear scripture text that disagrees with your opinionated biases..

Philippians 3:18-21, “For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. 20 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.” ESV

As it is written — “I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images... I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no Savior."

WHO THEN IS JESUS!
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Pierac
Established Member

Post by Pierac »

Hello , B.W.
B.W. wrote: What did you learn during those 27 years? You had to hear and had learned something during that time - what was it - that is what I am asking - not you current opinion or your stance.

Were you a member of some church — if so - which one?
Well, here's my church life history. I was raised a Catholic, at the age of 16, I converted to the Baptist denomination due to two young men who share their faith. I stayed with the Baptist for about four years, then switched to Bible believing non-denominational churches for the next 16 years or so. The past four years or so I've been at a PCA church of America (Calvinist.) Although I disagree with their theology, they taught me about God's sovereignty. For the past year and a half I have been searching for the truth. The Churches today are no different than the world today. The divorce rate is the same, gossip; backbiting, power struggles and the failure to love are all present in strength in all the denominations at the same level of the world.
I asked God for help in understanding his purpose in all this religious mess. By the grace of God I got my answers. They were not what I expected! Not in any way what so ever! One answers was “The Lord our God is One”, not 3 in one!

As for what was I taught about the trinity? The same as you, human creeds, taught by the Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, or any other non-denominational or denominational church.

Paul
Pierac
Established Member

Post by Pierac »

B.W. wrote: Only God can save and do this as he will not share that glory with another. How:

Isaiah 53:1-3, "Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? 2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not." KJV

You also forgot Hebrews 9:28, “so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.” ESV

Again:
Isaiah 45:21-24, "Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? Who hath told it from that time? Have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. 23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. 24 Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed." KJV
The Lord you are reading here is “God The Father” Not Jesus! Read my post on Psalms 110:1 page 5 of this topic. God tells you who Jesus is. Paul in Hebrews also tells you when Jesus spoke.

Heb 1:1 Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

B.W. wrote: Every knee shall Bow?

Philippians 2:10-11, “so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” ESV

Again, as it is written - “I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images.

You just supported my beliefs here! Did you even read the verse? Read the last five words of Philippians 2:10-11. To the Glory of God the Father.
Then you quoted “Again,as it is written — … My glory will I not give to another…

B.W. wrote: WHO THEN IS JESUS!

Let's get back to the Trinitarian definition of God — When Trinitarians say "God," they mean the combination of all three persons, Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. If they want to refer to one specific member of the Trinity they will use the corresponding name such as "the Son" etc.

Simple enough. Okay, one set up verse. Trinitarians will agree that there is only one God who is called Yahweh. The problem is that they include Jesus as a member of Yahweh. But for now, we both agree that the only God is Yahweh.

Isaiah 45:5 — "I am the LORD (YHWH) and there is no other, there is no God besides me."
This is pretty simple. YHWH is the ONLY God. So far, so good.

Exodus 3:15 — "Thus shall you say to the Israelites: The LORD (YHWH), the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, has sent me to you."

Okay, the God of your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is the LORD (YHWH).
The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob = YHWH.

Acts 3:13 — "The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of our ancestors, has glorified his servantJesus."

Does this verse imply that Jesus is the God of Abraham etc.? Of course not! Just read it. The God of Abraham glorified who? Himself? No! He glorified his servant Jesus. This is not difficult. Jesus is obviously not the God of Abraham etc. He is the God of Abraham's SERVANT. Who is the God of Abraham? YHWH. And YHWH is who? The ONLY God. So Jesus is not God? Of course not. He is God's anointed.

Acts 10:38 — "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power. He went about doing good and healing all oppressed by the devil, for God was with him."

Who anointed Jesus? It doesn't say the Father anointed Jesus, it says GOD. You can obviously see that Jesus is not the God that anointed him. If I said, "The king anointed Bob," would you think that it meant that Bob is the king? Of course not. Jesus is the servant whom God anointed to do his will. That is the whole purpose of anointing someone, to give them the wisdom and power that they will need in order to serve God. Does it make sense to you that God would anoint God with God? Let's look at a Messianic prophecy in the Old Testament.

Isaiah 61:1 — "The spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the LORD (YHWH) has anointed me."

By reading this verse it is plainly clear that the person who is being anointed is not YHWH. YHWH is anointing this individual. Now watch how Jesus uses this verse to refer to himself. Jesus uses this verse to say that he is the one that the Scripture spoke about. That he is the one whom YHWH has anointed. Who is YHWH by the way? That's right, the ONLY God.

Luke 4:18-21 — "He (Jesus) unrolled the scroll and found the passage where it was written: 'The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me,'…He (Jesus) said to them, 'Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing."
Okay now, this is simple. Look at Isaiah 61:1, YHWH anoints someone other than YHWH. Jesus in Luke claims that he is that person whom YHWH has anointed. Next.
1 Cor. 8:6 — "Yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom all things are and for whom we exist, and one Lord (This Lord is not a translation of YHWH, it is kyrios i.e. master, king etc.) Jesus Christ."

It doesn't get any easier than this. Who is the one God? The FATHER! That's it, period! The Father is the only one who is considered God. Jesus is our Lord (master, king). You will always see that the only one who is referred to as God is the Father. From the passage above, do you honestly read that and come away with the fact that Jesus is the one God? It is obvious that the one Lord is not the one God. Only the Father is God. It never says, "Peace from God the Father and God the Son." Why not? Didn't the Apostles know that the Son is God? Not even close! Look at the following:

1 Cor. 1:3 — "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."
2 Cor. 1:2 — "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."
Philippians 1:2 — "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."
1 Thessalonians 1:1 — "To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."
1 Thessalonians 3:13 — "To be blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus."
2 Thessalonians 1:2 — "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."
2 Thessalonians 2:16 — "May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who has loved us."
Philippians 4:20 — To our God and Father, glory for ever and ever. Amen."
Collosians 1:2 — "Peace from God our Father."
Ephesians 4:6 — "One God and Father of all."
James1:1 — "James, a slave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ."
1 Timothy 1:2 — "Peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord."
2 Timothy 1:2 — "Peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord."
Titus 1:4 — "Peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our savior."
Philemon vv. 3 — "Peace from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."
Galatians 1:3 "Peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."

So who is the ONLY one who is referred to as God? That's right, the Father. There is no way that in these sentences you can come out with the idea that Jesus is God. They always say, "peace from God AND, I repeat, AND the Lord Jesus Christ." They are separate individuals. Jesus Christ is not considered by any stretch of the imagination, "God" by these authors. If I said,

"Peace from John our president and the chief of staff Mike."
"Peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." (for comparison)

Is there anyway that you would read the verse above and come away thinking that Mike, the chief of staff is the president? No way! But wait.

In these next verses, Jesus, who Trinitarians claim is fully God at ALL times, has a God. How can this be? These must all be typos.
1 Peter 1:3 — "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."
2 Cor. 1:3 — "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."
2 Cor. 11:31 — "The God and Father of the Lord Jesus knows, he who is blessed forever, that I do not lie."
Revelation 1:6 — "Who has made us into a kingdom, priests for his God and Father."
Ephesians 1:3 — "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Ephesians 1:17 — "That the God of our Lord, the Father of glory."

How can God have a God? He can't. That's why when I ask this question to pastors the only answer they can give me is that it's a mystery. Do you know how naí¯ve and gullible that sounds?

These verses above are not profound theological statements. They are for the most part just greetings. No one has ever disputed these verses. Just read them! Then read them again!

The Messiah is supposed to have a God because he needs to be anointed by God in order to do wonders and signs on behalf of God. Let's look at Micah 5:3 which is a Messianic prophecy:

Micah 5:3 — "He shall stand firm and shepherd his flock by the strength of the LORD (YHWH), in the majestic name of the LORD, HIS GOD."

The Christ will have a God? Yes! Who will it be? Look at the verse above, YHWH. Does Jesus know that he is supposed to have a God? Of course he knows! Look below, these verses are all Jesus speaking:

John 20:17 - "I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God."
Matthew 27:46 - "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"
Revelation 3:12 - "Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God."
Revelation 3:2 - "For I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God."

So Jesus did know that he has a God? Yes, indeed! Jesus needed his God in order to resurrect.

Hebrews 13:20 — "May the God of peace, who brought up from the dead the great shepherd of the sheep by the blood of the eternal covenant."

Acts 5:30 — "The God of our ancestors raised Jesus."

Who raised the great shepherd from the dead? The God of peace, the God of our ancestors (which we covered earlier). The Trinitarian alternative is that God raised himself from the dead. But how can God raise himself if he is dead. Then God was not really dead. For that matter, how can you kill God?
Do you honestly read that verse and think that the great shepherd is God? Remember Micah? The shepherd has a God called YHWH.
Micah 5:3 — "He shall stand firm and shepherd his flock by the strength of the LORD (YHWH), in the majestic name of the LORD, HIS GOD."

By the way, what happened to the Holy Spirit in all these greetings? I guess he must have been the least favorite of the Apostles because he's not mentioned even once in those verses. I wonder why? It's because the Holy Spirit has always been considered to be the presence and power of God, i.e. the mind of God. Psalm 139: 7 states:

"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?"

Like I already posted :
When you connect Luke 11:20 with Matthew 12:28 then you get the understanding of what the finger of God is.
Luk 11:20 But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.
Mat 12:28 But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

Now the same is true with the Holy Spirit. We also have in the Bible two parallel teachings of the same subject one Matthew and one in Luke.
Luk 12:11 And when they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not be anxious about how you should defend yourself or what you should say, 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say."

Mat 10:19 When they deliver you over, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour. 20 For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.
Likewise, when you connect to Matthew 10:20 with Luke 12:12 you get an understanding of what the Holy Spirit is. It is the Spirit of the Father.

I hope this clears up your understanding of my beliefs.

Peace,

Paul
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

B.W. wrote: What did you learn during those 27 years? You had to hear and had learned something during that time - what was it - that is what I am asking - not you current opinion or your stance. Were you a member of some church — if so - which one?
Pierac wrote:Hello , B.W.Well, here's my church life history. I was raised a Catholic, at the age of 16, I converted to the Baptist denomination due to two young men who share their faith. I stayed with the Baptist for about four years, then switched to Bible believing non-denominational churches for the next 16 years or so. The past four years or so I've been at a PCA church of America (Calvinist.) Although I disagree with their theology, they taught me about God's sovereignty. For the past year and a half I have been searching for the truth. The Churches today are no different than the world today. The divorce rate is the same, gossip; backbiting, power struggles and the failure to love are all present in strength in all the denominations at the same level of the world. I asked God for help in understanding his purpose in all this religious mess. By the grace of God I got my answers. They were not what I expected! Not in any way what so ever! One answers was “The Lord our God is One”, not 3 in one! As for what was I taught about the trinity? The same as you, human creeds, taught by the Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, or any other non-denominational or denominational church.

Paul
Pierac, so what assembly do you associate with now, if any?

How do you know what I was taught about the Trinity? I learned it from the bible by learning to read Hebrew and Greek — not by any creeds or Church affiliations. You could say that the Lord revealed His nature and Character to me and from this I understand the doctrine as solid and sound. I sought an answer and discovered Truth as well.

As for the state of the Churches you associated with what was the real fault as you saw that turned you bitter? Not what you stated — but the real honest heart felt reason. What you stated is more excuse than the real honest reason. Did you get burned?
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Pierac wrote: The Lord you are reading here is “God The Father” Not Jesus! Read my post on Psalms 110:1 page 5 of this topic. God tells you who Jesus is. Paul in Hebrews also tells you when Jesus spoke. Heb 1:1 Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.
As it is written — “I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images... and yes whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. Jesus created the world - you have that right - but er how can man create the world in 7 days as well as make himself?? Hmmm -- whoops...
Pierac wrote:Philippians 2:10-11, “so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” ESV
You just supported my beliefs here! Did you even read the verse? Read the last five words of Philippians 2:10-11. To the Glory of God the Father.
Then you quoted “Again,as it is written — … My glory will I not give to another…
But the context of Philippians 2:5-11, counters your claims even in the NA 26 and 27 which leads too in context Philippians 3:20.

WHO THEN IS JESUS...

On the Doctrines of Men verses Doctrine of the Trinity

You state much how the ancient Hebraic traditions interpret the word lord to mean a son, an appointed leader, etc all in an attempt to skirt around the fact the Jesus was more than just a mortal human agent. You site much of the old Hebraic interpretations, such yours of Psalms 110:1 is a classic example of this, as well as use of the words -'Yahweh - One.' Thus appealing that these traditions are so far superior to the any other as they are older, wiser, and must be better. and their use of the term '

Were not these the same ancient ones Jesus rebuked calling them whitewashed sepulchers, having ears to hear but do not hear, eyes that see but do not see? Are these not the same Paul warns us about in his letters?
Mathew 15:7-14, Mathew16:6, Mathew 23:27-39, Philippians 3:1-7, Philippians 3:18, Galatians1:8-24, Galatians2:1-4.

And yet you declare we should heed them now? Just who are you? If Paul and Christ gave such warnings — why did you not heed them?

Jesus was not only a man but also was God manifested in human form so that we may look upon him and live, John 3:14-15. The symbolism profound — God and man reconciled not from a work of man, so none can boast they are better than God, but it is only by God's hand — his own arm that saves as He is God! Isaiah 50:2, Isaiah 51:5 Isaiah 52:10 Isaiah 53:1 Isaiah 59:1 Jeremiah 27:5 Jeremiah 32:17 Revelations 5, the hand of God extended to be the Lamb of God slain before the foundations of the world! Yes — Before the what? Jesus the Lamb — God Himself — prepared the sacrifice that would reconcile. Jesus was with God then and is God who decided before anything ever was to restore and make new his creation by the blood of the cross — a New Covenant written by the finger of God upon the stony heart of man. Jeremiah 31:31-34

Again, Philippians 3:18-21, “For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. 20 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.” ESV

Philippians 2:10-11 — in the NA 27-27 text does not support your doctrine. Nor do any of the scriptures you misquoted like a good Scribe or Pharisee or Sadducees would to lead people astray into the ways Jesus warned us about. In fact the scriptures you quote support who Jesus really is — God manifest in the flesh. Even Thomas saw that and the NA 27-27 text supports this too.

You are confusing and the limits of anointing on the human soul and twisting scriptures to say what they do not mean. Only God can save as He is the ONLY SAVIOR and that responsibility He will not share with any other than Himself.

As it is written — “I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images... I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no Savior."

WHO THEN IS JESUS!
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Good post, B.W.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Pierac
Established Member

Post by Pierac »

B.W. wrote: As for the state of the Churches you associated with what was the real fault as you saw that turned you bitter? Not what you stated — but the real honest heart felt reason. What you stated is more excuse than the real honest reason. Did you get burned?

Whoa, who said I was bitter? I already told you, once you are filled with the Spirit of God. (i.e. Mind of God through His word). Then you yearn for the fruits of the Spirit for all men.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

Mat 13:23 As for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears the word and understands it. He indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty."

God allowed me to see the traditions of men.

B.W. wrote: How do you know what I was taught about the Trinity? I learned it from the bible by learning to read Hebrew and Greek — not by any creeds or Church affiliations.
Then by all means please share the verses, I would love to read them.
Pierac
Established Member

Post by Pierac »

B.W. wrote: You state much how the ancient Hebraic traditions interpret the word lord to mean a son, an appointed leader, etc all in an attempt to skirt around the fact the Jesus was more than just a mortal human agent. You site much of the old Hebraic interpretations, such yours of Psalms 110:1 is a classic example of this, as well as use of the words -'Yahweh - One.' Thus appealing that these traditions are so far superior to the any other as they are older, wiser, and must be better. and their use of the term '

Then please explain my errors. I did not study Greek and Hebrew like you! Just where am I mistaken? Please feel free to quote your sources!

Psa 110:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at My right hand Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet."

Psalms 110:1 is a unusual verse. It is referred to in the New Testament 23 times and is thus quoted much more often than any other verse from the Old Testament. It's importance must not be overlooked. It is a psalm that tells us the relationship between God and Jesus.
Psalms 110:1 is a divine utterance although poorly translated if your version leaves out the original word "oracle". It is “the oracle of Yahweh” (the One God of the Hebrew Bible, of Judaism and New Testament Christianity) to David's lord who is the Messiah, spoken of here 1000 years before he came into existence in the womb of the Virgin Mary.

I want to bring attention to the fact that David's lord is not David's Lord. There should be no capital on the word "lord." The Revised Version of the Bible (1881) corrected the misleading error of other translations which put (and still wrongly put) a capitol L on lord in that verse.
He is not Lord God, because the word in the inspired text is not the word for Deity, but the word for human superior- a human lord, not a Lord who is himself God, but a lord who is the supremely exalted, unique agent of the one God.

The Hebrew word for the status of the son of God and Psalms 110:1 is adoni. This word occurs 195 times in the Hebrew Bible and never refers to God. When God is described as "the Lord" (capital L) a different word, Adonai, appears. Thus the Bible makes a careful distinction between God and man. God is the Lord God (Adonai), or when his personal name is used, Yahweh, and Jesus is his unique, sinless, virginally conceived human son (adoni, my lord, Luke 1:43; 2:11). Adonai is found 449 times in the Old Testament and distinguishes the One God from all others. Adonai is not the word describing the son of God, Jesus, in Psalms 110:1. adoni appears 195 times and refers only to a human (or occasionally an angelic) lord, that is, someone who is not God. This should cut through a lot of complicated post Biblical argumentation and create a making which in subtle ways that secures the simple and most basic Biblical truth, that God is a single person and that the Messiah is the second Adam, "the Man Messiah" (1 Tim. 2:5).

Let's have a look at a few Old Testament verses that show us the clear distinction alluded to here. In Genesis 15:2, Abraham prays to God and says, "O LORD, God [Adonai Yahweh], what will you give me, since I am childless?" In another prayer Abraham's servant addresses God: "O LORD, God of my lordAbraham, please grant me success today" (Gen. 24:12). The second word for "my lord" here is adoni which according to any standard Hebrew lexicon means "Lord," "Master," or "owner." Another example is found in David's speech to his men after he had cut off the hem of King Saul's robe and his conscience bothered him: "So he said to his men, far be it from me because of the Lord[here the word is Yahweh, Lord God] that I should do this thing to my lord [adoni].”

The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, page 157. states… "The form Adoni ('my lord'), a royal title (Sam. 29:8), is to be carefully distinguished from the divine title Adonai ('Lord') used of Yahweh. Adonai the special plural form [the divine title] distinguishes it from adoni [with short vowel] = 'my lords.'” Hastings Dictionary of the Bible, vol. 3, page 137. States… “lord in the Old Testament is used to translate Adonai when applied to the Divine Being. The [Hebrew] word… has a suffix [with a special pointing] presumably for the sake of distinction... between divine and human appellative.”

If David the Psalmist had expected the Messiah to be the Lord God he would not have used "my lord" (adoni), but the term used exclusively for the one God, Jehovah- Adonai. Unfortunately, though, many English translations which faithfully preserved this distinction elsewhere capitalize the second "lord" only in Psalms 110:1. This gives a misleading impression that the word is a divine title.

Both the Pharisees and Jesus knew that this inspired verse was crucial in the understanding of the identity of the promised Messiah. Jesus quoted it to show the Messiah would be both the son (descendent) of King David and David's “lord” (see Matt. 22:41-46; Mark 12:35-37; Luke 20:41-44). This key verse, then, quoted more than any other in the New Testament, authorizes the title "lord" for Jesus. Failure to understand this distinction has led to the erroneous idea that whenever the New Testament calls Jesus "Lord" it means he is the Lord God of the Old Testament.

Please reply...

Paul
Pierac
Established Member

Post by Pierac »

Act 19:1 It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. 19 He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said to him, "No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."

Jac, can you help me out with exegesis here? I'm reading Paul found some disciples that have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit. Could there be a Christian (maybe Jewish Christian? ) disciple that has never heard of the Holy Spirit? Just what was John preaching? Jac, I must admit, my Greek texts agree with their statements. (e-sword)

Let's look at several different Bibles. Maybe we will get a better translation.

KJV Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

NIV Act 19:2 and asked them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" They answered, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."

NASB Act 19:2 He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said to him, "No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."

ESV Act 19:2 And he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."

Remember we are talking about Jesus' disciples here!

CEV Act 19:2 He asked them, "When you put your faith in Jesus, were you given the Holy Spirit?" "No!" they answered. "We have never even heard of the Holy Spirit."

YLT Act 19:2 he said unto them, `The Holy Spirit did ye receive--having believed?' and they said unto him, `But we did not even hear whether there is any Holy Spirit;'

RSV Act 19:2 And he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have never even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."

Maybe we need to go back to our older Bibles?

Tyndale Act 19:2 and sayd vnto them: have ye receaved the holy gost sence ye beleved? And they sayde vnto him: no we have not hearde whether ther be eny holy goost or no.

Bishops Act 19:2 And sayde vnto them: Haue ye receaued the holy ghost sence ye beleued? And they saide vnto hym: We haue not hearde whether there be any holy ghost or no.

KJV 1611 Act 19:2 He said vnto them, Haue ye receiued the holy Ghost since yee beleeued? And they saide vnto him, Wee haue not so much as heard whether there be any holy Ghost.

Geneva Act 19:2 And saide vnto them, Haue ye receiued the holy Ghost since ye beleeued? And they saide vnto him, Wee haue not so much as heard whether there be an holy Ghost.

I can't find any translation that say's they knew of the (or any) Holy Spirit here?

Hey B.W. maybe the verses you used for me should apply to them.

B.W. wrote: Were not these the same ancient ones Jesus rebuked calling them whitewashed sepulchers, having ears to hear but do not hear, eyes that see but do not see? Are these not the same Paul warns us about in his letters?
Mathew 15:7-14, Mathew16:6, Mathew 23:27-39, Philippians 3:1-7, Philippians 3:18, Galatians1:8-24, Galatians2:1-4.
No, We shall know them by their fruits!

Paul
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Pierac wrote:Then please explain my errors. I did not study Greek and Hebrew like you! Just where am I mistaken? Please feel free to quote your sources! ...

If David the Psalmist had expected the Messiah to be the Lord God he would not have used "my lord" (adoni), but the term used exclusively for the one God, Jehovah- Adonai. Unfortunately, though, many English translations which faithfully preserved this distinction elsewhere capitalize the second "lord" only in Psalms 110:1. This gives a misleading impression that the word is a divine title...Both the Pharisees and Jesus knew that this inspired verse was crucial in the understanding of the identity of the promised Messiah. Jesus quoted it to show the Messiah would be both the son (descendent) of King David and David's “lord” (see Matt. 22:41-46; Mark 12:35-37; Luke 20:41-44). This key verse, then, quoted more than any other in the New Testament, authorizes the title "lord" for Jesus. Failure to understand this distinction has led to the erroneous idea that whenever the New Testament calls Jesus "Lord" it means he is the Lord God of the Old Testament....pease reply...Paul
Sources:
Matthew 22:41-44, “Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them a question: 42"What do you think about the Christ, whose son is He?" They said to Him, “The son of David." 43 He said to them, "Then how does David in the Spirit call Him 'Lord,' saying, 44 THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD,"SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND UNTIL I PUT YOUR ENEMIES BENEATH YOUR FEET?” NASB
As well as… Hebrews 1:13 and Luke 24:44
Pierac wrote:...The Lord you are reading here is “God The Father” - Not Jesus!.... God tells you who Jesus is. Paul in Hebrews also tells you when Jesus spoke.
Hebrews 1:1-4,, “1 In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs… "Let all 6-God's angels worship him"…” NIV

Hmmm, Jesus created the universe and is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, the exact imprint of his nature, and he, Jesus, upholds the universe by the word of his power. John 8:54-59 — Truly Philippians 2:5-11 is true and translated correctly.

Angels worship him as well and we praise him! Yet, if Jesus was only limited to being only a mere mortal man with a special anointing like the prophets — Moses — Elijah; then as it is written — “I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images... then the One unchanging God has violated his own word that he promises to keep!

The book of Hebrews does not support your view that Jesus was but only a mere mortal man but rather it supports that God was manifest in the flesh so we can look upon him and live. If God highly exalted Jesus above all and in the book of Revelations people are worshiping Jesus and bowing before the Him then what you teach is in violation of Exodus 20:3-7 the most important commandments. As well as the scriptures quoted below:

Would God lie and violate his own words he spoke by giving his glory to another — a mere mortal man and have this mere mortal be worshiped, and be called the savior that forgives sins?

How could Jesus declare, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand. 30 I and My Father are one.” 31 then they took up stones again to stone Him.” John 10:28-31 if only God can forgive?

Again Jesus says in John 5:21-24, “For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will. 22 For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, 23 that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him. 24 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.” NKJV

As it is written: 1 John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” NKJV

Isaiah 42:5-8, "Thus saith God the LORD, He that created the heavens, and stretched them forth, He that spread forth the earth and that which cometh out of it, He that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein: 6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and have taken hold of thy hand, and kept thee, and set thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the nations; 7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison-house. 8 I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images. 9 Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them." JPS

Yes Jesus was a man but he was also God manifest in the flesh so that God is not guilty of breaking his on word and commands given on Sinai. For Jesus to be worthy of such of honor, renown, glory, worship, praise and for Jesus to be able to forgive sins which only God can do, means the Messiah was and is God manifest in the flesh so that now we can look upon God and live! This is what the book of Hebrews writes about: God manifest in the flesh. Hebrews 2:17-18, Hebrews 7:3,
Hebrews 7:25-28, Hebrews 9:12

The doctrine of the Trinity supports this as there is no violation of Exodus 20:3-7 as well as supports the passages cited above. It is the only way this can be done through my Lord and Savior — Jesus Christ. We are saved how? - By God's grace — not human works.

In contrast, the doctrine you proclaim depends totally on human works for salvation because for you, Jesus, is not God who came in the flesh. God manifested himself in this manner so that His own words were completed and fulfilled by the work of His, God's, own hand — His own Right Arm as his glory he will not give another because only he can save. You depend on another Jesus — another gospel — God is One and only he can save. Blessed be the Undivided Trinity! Father, Son, Holy Spirit!

Your doctrine depends on religious pride unaware how this blinds and twists scripture to reject the living God to serve one of your own making. Such doctrine is full of prideful bluster because if Jesus was but only one mere mortal man — his blood could not atone, never cleanse anyone from sins forever, and could never save. In seeking to establish the Oneness of God, your doctrine instead destroys the oneness much in the same manner as the ancient Pharisees, Scribes, Sadducees once did, and that many religious leaders and cultic groups, who agree as one, have done in the past and continue to do so to this day.

Such doctrine as yours would have been no threat to the religious establishment during the time of Jesus and the Apostles and neither Jesus nor Paul would have wasted time warning the first century Jewish Believers to beware of anything.

The Jesus of your doctrine preaches can never forgive you of your own sins as it is written — “I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images…“I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images...and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.23 I have sworn by Myself, the word is gone out of My mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. 24 Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed”

The doctrine you have shared is ashamed of Christ Jesus and incensed that his precious blood atones and forever cleanses away all sin. The Jesus you preach can do neither, just as the Christiadelphians espouse and proclaim:
From a Christadelphian Web site wrote:Doctrinally, the Christadelphians are unique in Christendom in our understanding of the nature of Christ, and the way in which we are redeemed by his death. We reject as unbiblical the idea that Christ could die as a replacement sacrifice for us, thus covering all our sins forever with that one act. Certainly it is through his sacrifice that we may be forgiven, but only if we walk the path of self-denial that he marked out for us.
Again who else can Jesus be but God manifest in the flesh to do the work that only God proclaims he can do and no other can: forever forgive and cleanse? Who do you want to Trust God or Man?

Who then is Jesus?
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Pierac
Established Member

Post by Pierac »

Hello B.W.

I'm beginning to see the problem with our communication. We read the same verse and come away with a completely different understanding.
B.W. wrote: Sources:
Matthew 22:41-44, “Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them a question: 42"What do you think about the Christ, whose son is He?" They said to Him, “The son of David." 43 He said to them, "Then how does David in the Spirit call Him 'Lord,' saying, 44 THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD,"SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND UNTIL I PUT YOUR ENEMIES BENEATH YOUR FEET?” NASB
You left off the last verse and the whole point of his question.
ESV Mat 22:45 If then David calls him Lord, how is he his son?"

B.W. quote: Hebrews 1:1-4,, “1 In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs… "Let all 6-God's angels worship him"…” NIV

The verse reads Jesus BECAME superior. How? He INHERITED it. It also reads the Son is the radiance of whose glory? Yes, Gods. The exact representation. (Agent)

NASB 1Co 15:25 For he must reign, till he hath put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that shall be abolished is death. 27 For, He put all things in subjection under his feet. But when he saith, All things are put in subjection, it is evident that he is excepted who did subject all things unto him. 28 When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

How long will Jesus reign? “Till he hath put all enemies under his feet.” Then what? Then Jesus will become subjected to God. There is no co equal-trinity in that verse.
B.W. wrote: Hmmm, Jesus created the universe and is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being,
Once again, we read the same verses yet, come away with a completely different understanding. Remember Jesus is the center of God's plan for humanity. The key is (Dia) Through him, meaning with Jesus in mind. I already posted on this.

So what saith the scriptures on who created the universe?

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

You will note it does not say Jesus here but God. But lets turn to Jesus own words. He will tell us who did the creating. First, I would like to look at your “Who then is Jesus?” quote. Jesus is the first born, but what does that mean?

The word “first-born” comes to the New Testament with a rich heritage. The Hebrews had a custom of conferring special birthright privileges on their oldest sons. The eldest son of a father would receive the double portion of the family's inheritance. The well-known story of Jacob tricking his father Isaac into conferring on him - rather than on the first-born-Esau all the family blessing is typical of this culture (Gen 27:32). There is a deeper nuance to the meaning of this word “first-born.” The Greek word for “first” can mean either a first in time or first in status, regardless of birth position. The “first-born” may designate one who is given the honor of chief rank, that is, the first place. This usage can also be found in the Hebrew Bible, as when Jacob summons his son to bequeath his patriarchal blessing on them, he designates Reuben as “my first-born”… preeminent in dignity and preeminent in power. (Gen 40 9:3)

Although Reubin is “first-born” in time, the prominent idea is his status in dignity. This is clearly the meaning in Jeremiah 31:9 where God calls Ephraim his “first-born” even though Ephraim's brother, Manasseh, was the elder of the two. Or when God calls Israel his first-born son in Exodus 4:22 and commands Pharaoh to “let my son go that he may worship me.” (v.23) The concept has to do with Israel's precedence in importance over Egypt as far as God's plans were concerned. The classic instance of this idea of pre-eminence of rank is in the Messianic Psalms 89 where God, in glowing words, speaks of the coming promise Davidic king, the Lord Messiah:

Psa 89:26 He shall cry to me, 'You are my Father, my God, and the Rock of my salvation.' 27 And I will make him the firstborn, the highest of the kings of the earth. 28 My steadfast love I will keep for him forever, and my covenant will stand firm for him. 29 I will establish his offspring forever and his throne as the days of the heavens.

In the spirit of prophecy, God announces that this king's superior position is a matter of appointment, not the time of birth. Furthermore, God makes his appointed king "the highest [in status and rank] of the kings of the earth." Thus, when the apostle applies the term “first-born” to the son of God in Colossians 1, he is using a well-known OT Messianic description. In fact, the expression is repeated a few verses later, where Paul writes, “He is also head of the body, the church; and he is the beginning, the first-born from the dead” (v.18). The different qualifier here is noteworthy. Whereas in verse 15 the Son is the “first-born” of all creation,” here the Son is the "first-born from the dead.” If we take into account the Hebrew literary style of parallelism, where the same idea is repeated but in slightly modified form, it is quite reasonable to suggest that the qualifiers "of all creation" and "from the dead" means the same thing.

The thought is clearly that Jesus the son of God is the first man of God's new creation, because he is the first man ever to be raised to immortality. Christ return is the beginning of the eschatological resurrection. His resurrection is the promise and the guarantee that God's new order of reality has begun. The church is that new community in prospect. This confirms that the subject matter under discussion is not the Genesis creation of the heavens and the earth, but rather the creation of the church, the body of believers who constitute God's new humanity, the New Man(kind). For this reason, he is the beginning (arche which has an ambivalence, and can mean either the ruler or chief, or origin or beginning, v. 18) Either way, Jesus as the first-raised from the dead is the origin of God's new creation, and he is in consequence of this priority and resurrection also the highest in rank "so that he himself might come to have first place in everything" (v.18). However, whether we take the term firstborn to mean first in relation to time or first in relation to rank, this much is at least clear, that taken in its natural sense, the expression and firstborn excludes the notion of an uncreated, eternal being.
To be born requires a beginning. In order to verify our findings so far, we must look at the second part of the phrase that the son is "the first-born of all creation."

Christ the Head of the New Creation

The various popular English translation are at odds as to whether the Son is "the first-born over all creation" (as in the NIV and NK JV), thus first in rank, or whether he is "the firstborn of all creation" (which reflects a literal translation of the genitive case, as in the KJV, RV and NASB), meaning first in time, which would refer to Christ being the first-created being of creation.

We evidently need the wider context to determine which nuance fits best. It is clear that Paul continues his line of thought in the next verse, as he uses the conjunction “for”: "For in Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities- all things have been created through him and for him" (v.16). Jesus never claimed credit for the original Genesis creation of the heavens and the earth. He was in no doubt that the universe was God's handiwork.

Mat 19:4 He answered, "Have you not read that he (God) who created them from the beginning made them male and female,

Remember Jesus has a God…"Blessed be God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:3). Yet for us there is but one God, the Father, (1Co 8:6)

Mar 13:19 For in those days there will be such tribulation as has not been from the beginning of the creation that God (my Father) created until now, and never will be.

Observe in Colossians 1 that "all things" created are not “the heavens and the earth” as per Genesis 1:1, but rather “all things in the heavens and [up]on the earth." These things are defined as "thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities." Evidently, Jesus has been given authority to restructure the arrangements of angels as well as being the agent for the creation of the body of Christ on earth, the Church.
This is the thought as we soon shall see in Hebrews 1 where the Angels are told to worship the Son. It is also the thought that Peter mentions in 1 Peter 3:21-22 where, after “the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who he is at the right hand of God, having gone into heaven, after angels and authorities and powers had been subjected to him, " it is the new Messianic order that God has brought in through Christ the Son that is under discussion. Just before his ascension into heaven at the father's right hand of power, Jesus declares that "all authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me" (Matt.28:18). His resurrection has Jesus a new status, "far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age, but also in the one to come" (Eph.1:21).

All of this is to reiterate that this hymn of praise concerns the new order of things that now exist since the resurrection of the Son. An eschatological shift of the ages has begun with Christ's exaltation to the Father's right hand. God has "put all things in subjection under his [the resurrected Christ's] feet" (Eph. 1-22). Paul repeats this thought in the next chapter of Colossians: "and he is the head over [or of] all rule and authority" (Col 2:10). In the words we looked at in Philippians 2, God has rewarded Jesus' obedient death on the cross by highly exalting him, and bestowing on him "the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, of those who are in heaven, and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Phil 2:8-10).
It is highly significant that in verse 18 Jesus attains to a supreme position, meaning that it he did not have it already. Thus he cannot have preexisted as God. If he did his final status would be more of a demotion than the promotion described by Paul.

B.W. wrote: Yes, Jesus was a man but he was also God manifest in the flesh so that God is not guilty of breaking his on word and commands given on Sinai. For Jesus to be worthy of such of honor, renown, glory, worship, praise and for Jesus to be able to forgive sins which only God can do, means the Messiah was and is God manifest in the flesh so that now we can look upon God and live! This is what the book of Hebrews writes about: God manifest in the flesh.
If Jesus was God in the flesh then it is impossible to be a man. He would have been something entirely else. Not a man. This is why Jesus has to learn wisdom, Luke 2:40, Luke 2:52. God is all knowing. He does not need to learn anything. Paul tells us Jesus is a priest after the order of Melchizedek, and something else.

Heb 5:6 as he says also in another place, "You are a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek." 5 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. 8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered.

It is an insult to say that God learned obedience! Jesus learned obedience because he was a man, a man like you and me not a hybrid. You fail to understand the concept of Agency. When you kiss the Agent of the one sent, you are actually kissing the one whom the Agent represents. When you worship Jesus you are actually worshiping the One who sent Him. Thus Jesus comments…

NASB Joh 8:42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but He sent Me.

Joh 12:49 "For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.

There is no God in the flesh hybrid (Theos aner) in these verses.

If Jesus is already God in the flesh then He can not have a God because it would be two Gods not one. Yet, scripture clearly tell us he does have a God, both before and after His resurrection. Philippians 4:20; Ephesians 4:6; John 20:17; Matthew 27:46; Revelation 3:12; Revelation 3:2.
B.W. Wrote: Your doctrine depends on religious pride unaware how this blinds and twists scripture to reject the living God to serve one of your own making. Such doctrine is full of prideful bluster because if Jesus was but only one mere mortal man — his blood could not atone, never cleanse anyone from sins forever, and could never save. In seeking to establish the Oneness of God, your doctrine instead destroys the oneness much in the same manner as the ancient Pharisees, Scribes, Sadducees once did, and that many religious leaders and cultic groups, who agree as one, have done in the past and continue to do so to this day.
Such doctrine as yours would have been no threat to the religious establishment during the time of Jesus and the Apostles and neither Jesus nor Paul would have wasted time warning the first century Jewish Believers to beware of anything.

The Jesus of your doctrine preaches can never forgive you of your own sins as it is written — “I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images…“I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images...and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.23 I have sworn by Myself, the word is gone out of My mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. 24 Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed”

The doctrine you have shared is ashamed of Christ Jesus and incensed that his precious blood atones and forever cleanses away all sin. The Jesus you preach can do neither, just as the Christiadelphians espouse and proclaim:
What? B.W. this is just an emotional response. Jesus died on the cross for ours sins. Jesus died! Your theology says that God died on the cross. The only problem is God can not die. So Jesus would have had to pretend to die and thus there would not be any forgiveness of sin because he really didn't die.

Let's see who can forgive sins.

Mat 9:2 And they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralytic, "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven."

Mat 9:6 "But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins"--then He said to the paralytic, "Get up, pick up your bed and go home."

Mar 2:7 "Why does this man speak that way? He is blaspheming; who can forgive sins but God alone?"

John 20:21 So Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you." 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them,"Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 "If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained."

Now learn something here, Jesus never forgave sins before He was anointed with God's Spirit. Now the Apostles have the ability to forgive sins, once again only after Jesus gave them the Holy Spirit. Are you saying the Apostles are now God because they can forgive sins? No they are not. They are however now Agents of Jesus the Christ and "have authority on earth to forgive sins". "As the Father has sent Me, I also send you."

Peace
Paul
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Yes, Jesus died, He fulfilled the payment for sin....just as the OT covenants required sacrifces for the payment of sin. He lived a perfect life and died to fulfill justice (His humanity this replaced Adam's failure). But when we say God died (and yes this is mysterious), let's not forget God conquered death!! His resurrection, that glorious triumph over death meant that He sacrificed himself and He "crushed the serpent's head" as that wonderful scripture even in Genesis points to! He loved us so much that He paid for our sins. B.W.'s great verses show this. God didn't just appoint a man to die, He became both fully man and fully God (and who among us knows how this mysterious math works out? But just because we don't understand the math or biology or physics of this is not a reason to deny the doctrine) and both of these natures work to fulfill God's justice and mercy.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Now learn something here, Jesus never forgave sins before He was anointed with God's Spirit.
So what? Even if you could prove that It doesn't make Him any less God... Just as Jesus being an obedient servant to God the Father, and operating in God's timetable, doesn't make Him any less God.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Pierac
Established Member

Post by Pierac »

In so far as it is used by the "traditionalists" to justify belief in a personally preexistent Christ, the passage in Colossians 1:15-19 ranks right up there with John 1 and Philippians 2. It is easy to see how this conclusion is reached, when the passages read in the gridlock of "orthodoxy." Paul wrote:

Col 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him.17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell,

We must carefully examine both the overall context and the particular phrases before rushing to the conclusion that the apostle is teaching that Jesus the son of God created the heavens and the earth, and that he is therefore coequal with God the Father. Everything we have looked at so far would indicate that Paul has not suddenly done a back flip from his clearly stated belief that there is "one God, the Father… and one Lord, Jesus the Messiah" (1 Cor. 8:6; Eph. 4:5-6, etc.).

The overall context must be clearly borne in mind. The apostle he is "giving thanks to the Father" because He "has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in light," which is to say that God the Father has "delivered us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the effected through His Son Jesus. He is speaking of things that relate to "redemption, the forgiveness of sins" (v.14) and "the church" (v.18) and how through the Son of the Father God
has "reconciled all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of his cross" (v.20).

Kuschel in his book "Born Before All Time? p.331. Says, "the direct context of the Colossians hymn is itself of an eschatological kind and represents the 'shift of the ages.'" G.E. Ladd in his book A Theology of the New Testament, p.323. states. “In other words, 'the New Testament does
not merely picture the resurrection of Jesus as the resurrection of a corpse, but as the emergence within time and space of a new order of life
.'"

When the Father raised Jesus to life again it was not only an isolated historical event. It was more importantly the injection into history of the beginning of "the eschatological resurrection." Eternal life-the life of the ages to come-is guaranteed in Christ who is "the first fruits" of all who will follow. (1Cor.15:23). Jesus is the first of a whole crop of new-life first to come! A new order of things now exist. A new age in prospect has already begun. If "anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old things [have] passed away; behold, new things have come" (2 Cor. 5:17). To be baptized into Christ is to already in prospect be "in the likeness of his resurrection" (Rom. 6:5). We are already "seated with Christ in the heavenlies" (Eph. 2:6). Because Christ has been raised to the glory of the Father, we are already in promise "glorified" (Rom. 8:30). We have been transferred into "the kingdom of His beloved Son" (Col. 1:13).

It is this tectonic shift in the ages that is the context of this hymn of praise. We are looking at a whole new order of things. The waves of this continental shift from the resurrection of Christ are rolling towards the distant shoreline of the coming Kingdom of God with tsunami-like power. Old authorities and structures have been rattled, for Christ is now the head of God's of new creation. A new dynasty in God universe has been inaugurated. This is the cosmological contexts of the individual phrases we will now examine.

Speaking of "His beloved Son" who has brought us "redemption, the forgiveness of sins" (Col.1:13-14), the apostle tells us that "he is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation" (v.15). An image, as we know, is a visual representation or copy of an original. This word "image" intimates that there is a difference in identity between the copy and the original. When we look in the mirror, we understand that we do not see our "real" selves, only an image of ourselves. I know that I am not the person behind a glass, but really the person in front of the glass. This word "image" is a very strong pointer to the fact that Christ the Son is not God. For the image can not be the original, who in this case is God the Father. The first phrase, "he [the Son] is the image of the invisible God" reminds us of Jesus' own word that "he who has seen me has seen the Father" (John 14:9). Jesus is the face and the voice of God, so to speak (1 Cor. 4:6). As Kuschel in his book Born Before All Time?, (p.333). rightly points out, "the expression 'image' does not relate to 'the essence of a thing' but to 'Christ revelatory function'… talk of the 'image' is a statement about revelation."

As the image of God, Christ reveals the father to us. But what exactly is revealed? Kuschel explains it well here. In the light of the eschatological resurrection of the Son, God and his image Christ must be thought of as belonging inseparably together. From now on: one can now (after the eschatological shift) no longer speak of God without having to speak of Jesus Christ and vice versa. Anyone who speaks of Christ at the same time speaks of God himself. In relation to creation, this means that one can not really know the new creation as a work of the Creator except in Christ. So there are two sides: God makes himself known in the image of Christ, and the creation cannot be known as the work of this creator without Christ.