What are the top arguments atheists should NOT use?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
madscientist
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: What are the top arguments atheists should NOT use?

Post by madscientist »

So what i understood from SaintGeorge's post is that we should take Genesis as a poem and symbolically!! :) OK but how do we know we are not to take other parts like that as well? How are we to distinguish which parts were meant literally and which are symbolic? Does the Bible mention that some parts are to be interpreted in such ways? Cos we know if we were to take it literally there'd be disputes (there are already :P) so let's say it's symbolic.
But why not take it symbolic as a whole? That is the question... :lol:
"Love is only possible if a choice of either love or rejecting the love is given." One of the most true things id ever heard, not so long ago.

-MMS-
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

madscientist wrote:So what i understood from SaintGeorge's post is that we should take Genesis as a poem and symbolically!! :) OK but how do we know we are not to take other parts like that as well? How are we to distinguish which parts were meant literally and which are symbolic? Does the Bible mention that some parts are to be interpreted in such ways? Cos we know if we were to take it literally there'd be disputes (there are already :P) so let's say it's symbolic.
But why not take it symbolic as a whole? That is the question... :lol:
I have always heard...and it sounds sensible to me to take everything in the bible as literal unless it is otherwise indicated.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
madscientist
Valued Member

Post by madscientist »

Literally? OK but how do we know which parts are otherwise indicated?
Does the bible say about itslef that we are to interpret some parts or is it other books or sources that say that? if its the bible that says about itself that then no prob. but - does it? :D
"Love is only possible if a choice of either love or rejecting the love is given." One of the most true things id ever heard, not so long ago.

-MMS-
FFC

Post by FFC »

madscientist wrote:Literally? OK but how do we know which parts are otherwise indicated?
Does the bible say about itself that we are to interpret some parts or is it other books or sources that say that? if its the bible that says about itself that then no prob. but - does it? :D
Hi Mad,

2nd timothy 3:16 says: All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but I think it gets close to it.

Proper Hermeneutics I'm told is like a funnel. You should be able to use all of scripture to make the smallest point. As far as what is literal and what is not...you can usually find the meaning to a symbol elswhere in scripture if you know where to look. I'm sure others can give you a much better answer.

Take care
FFC
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

madscientist
Valued Member

Post by madscientist »

So FFC, you are basically saying that the whole Bible speaks of itself?
and hermeneutics - any different from common "literature analysis" except that its done on the Bible? I myself despise analysing literature it beats the hell outta me :D :lol: but Bible is a different story i guess. 8)
so if one were to read the whole Bible should this person have a complete knowledge of what is and what isnt required?
there are still going to be questions i think... to discuss, things which are unclear, things seeming to contradict each other etc. Or wont there be? :)

-MMS-
FFC

Post by FFC »

Mad wrote:so if one were to read the whole Bible should this person have a complete knowledge of what is and what isnt required?
Mad, I would think so in a strictly academic way, but only God through His Holy Spirit can teach everything.
there are still going to be questions i think... to discuss, things which are unclear, things seeming to contradict each other etc. Or wont there be?
Just look around this board. Even the most faithful and good intentioned don't have it all right. All we can do is rely on God to guide us in the long run. What do you think?

madscientist
Valued Member

Post by madscientist »

FFC wrote: Just look around this board. Even the most faithful and good intentioned don't have it all right. All we can do is rely on God to guide us in the long run. What do you think?
Hm ya sounds like a cool idea 8). We must rely on Him since we're far from being perfect. and relatively unintelligent relative to Him. :)
Yes the Spirit teaches everything. But can the Spirit teach without one having any knowledge of the Bible? thats the question :lol: :P so its reading and hoping that Spirit does teaches us.

-MMS-
be-ing not do-ing
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by be-ing not do-ing »

madscientist wrote: Yes the Spirit teaches everything. But can the Spirit teach without one having any knowledge of the Bible? thats the question :lol: :P so its reading and hoping that Spirit does teaches us.
In a word-Yes, many early Christians ,the prophets and ancient people who "walked with God" were lead by God. Not all of them had access to the Scriptures. Also many of the Scriptures were not written down at the time. The Law that YHWH gave was a "law" of love. Love God then love neighbor. Love is defined as working in the best interest of other in a kind and humble manner. Not warm fuzzy feelings that you may or may not have at any given time.
Be still and know that I am God...Psalms 46:10
FFC

Post by FFC »

Mad wrote:Yes the Spirit teaches everything. But can the Spirit teach without one having any knowledge of the Bible? thats the question so its reading and hoping that Spirit does teaches us.
Yes, I think it happens all of the time...but in my thinking the Spirit first and foremost teaches us our need for God who directs us to His word in one way or another.

Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

FFC wrote:Yes, I think it happens all of the time...but in my thinking the Spirit first and foremost teaches us our need for God who directs us to His word in one way or another.
Agreed. God will teach using whatever is at his disposal. For one who has ready access to the scriptures, i think he would try to use that to teach. But, as be-ing not do-ing said, not all have access to them. So what is most important is our 'walk with God'. With him in our hearts, that is all we need.
FFC

Post by FFC »

Enigma7457 wrote:
FFC wrote:Yes, I think it happens all of the time...but in my thinking the Spirit first and foremost teaches us our need for God who directs us to His word in one way or another.
Agreed. God will teach using whatever is at his disposal. For one who has ready access to the scriptures, i think he would try to use that to teach. But, as be-ing not do-ing said, not all have access to them. So what is most important is our 'walk with God'. With him in our hearts, that is all we need.
This is true, and if someone doesn't have ready access to the scriptures, but is still faithful to what he does know, no matter how small, God is pleased.

Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

FFC wrote:This is true, and if someone doesn't have ready access to the scriptures, but is still faithful to what he does know, no matter how small, God is pleased.
Amen :D
madscientist
Valued Member

Post by madscientist »

right. so reading scriptures if we have them and tryin to understand. but can we live a life filled with God NOT reading them even if we possess Bible? is each Christian expected to read it at least once in his entire life?

sorry not trying to be annoying just askin... :) how important they are. The fact is that not all people have access. but are we then "excused" for not having them if we dont live according to Bible?
just curious to know stuff... :P

-MMS-
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

I think that if you have knowledge of the scriptures existence (even if you don't have easy access to them) then it is your duty, job, responsibility to seek them out and read them.

God judges the heart. If you have access to the scriptures and intentionally do not read them, study them, whatever, that is an intentional turning away. If you don't know about them, there is no intention at all. So both ways, the heart is still judged.

What i am trying to say is that ignoring the scriptures is an act of your heart. So it is not necessarily the understanding of the scriptures that is wanted, but the desire to understand the scriptures. :?
FFC

Post by FFC »

madscientist wrote:right. so reading scriptures if we have them and tryin to understand. but can we live a life filled with God NOT reading them even if we possess Bible? is each Christian expected to read it at least once in his entire life?

sorry not trying to be annoying just askin... :) how important they are. The fact is that not all people have access. but are we then "excused" for not having them if we dont live according to Bible?
just curious to know stuff... :P
I think if you believe the scriptures are God inspired words to us then they are of the utmost importance. None of us can live the Christian life apart from God...bible or no bible anyway. It is His Spirit that teaches us. As far as people who don't have access to a bible, I would say they are probably very few and far between.