Favorite Book in the Bible?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
johnnyboy08
Recognized Member

Favorite Book in the Bible?

Post by johnnyboy08 »

Well, I'm fairly new to this! Which books do you guys like? :)
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Favorite Book in the Bible?

Post by FFC »

johnnyboy08 wrote:Well, I'm fairly new to this! Which books do you guys like? :)
The gospel of John!
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
johnnyboy08
Recognized Member

Post by johnnyboy08 »

I've read only the Book of Ecclesiastes, so that's my favorite so far... I've only started reading the Bible. Which one should I get into first? I tried to read from the book of Genesis, but so far, it's only been the flood and then the long lists of Adam and Eve's descendants :roll:
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Yeah, leviticus can be tough too :D

Love the one quote from Ecclesiastes "Much studying wearies the mind", I know my students agree :D

Boy, tough question...

These would have to be my favorite
Genesis, Exodus, Joshua, Judges, Daniel, Esther: sustaining history of God's faithfulness to His people.

Psalms: Gods want our entire being, our strengths and our fears/doubt...

Job: Love this book....may be my favorite...

Romans, Ephesians...
bizzt
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

johnnyboy08 wrote:I've read only the Book of Ecclesiastes, so that's my favorite so far... I've only started reading the Bible. Which one should I get into first? I tried to read from the book of Genesis, but so far, it's only been the flood and then the long lists of Adam and Eve's descendants :roll:
Suggest starting in the New Testament. Each of the four Gospels have Parallels yet differences coming from Different perspectives and writers. Recommend reading Luke and then Acts. This is known to be written by the same writer. I would then move onto Pauls epistles...

God Bless
johnnyboy08
Recognized Member

Post by johnnyboy08 »

Thank you all. May I ask which versions of the Bible I should use? I have a New American Standard Bible at the moment, but a few of my Christian friends tell me to read the King James only. I flip through a few pages, but the English is SO old! :roll:
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

johnnyboy08 wrote:Thank you all. May I ask which versions of the Bible I should use? I have a New American Standard Bible at the moment, but a few of my Christian friends tell me to read the King James only. I flip through a few pages, but the English is SO old! :roll:
King James is nice. I like the NIV... Anybody else?
FFC
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

bizzt wrote:
johnnyboy08 wrote:Thank you all. May I ask which versions of the Bible I should use? I have a New American Standard Bible at the moment, but a few of my Christian friends tell me to read the King James only. I flip through a few pages, but the English is SO old! :roll:
King James is nice. I like the NIV... Anybody else?
NIV and NASB are both good
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

agreed, NIV and NASV
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

NIV also. However, i love the Kings James when reading Proverbs or Psalms, its so poetic.
daddyman2001
Newbie Member

Post by daddyman2001 »

imo, the book of Romans summarizes the old and new testaments very well. within the chapters of Romans, you will learn several key concepts and attributes of God's love.

reconciliation, justification, propitiation and grace.

For me, Romans makes the entire Bible make sense....
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

I like 1 John, and Corinthians. :D
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
JCSx2
Valued Member

Re:

Post by JCSx2 »

Excellent question.

I prefer The New king James Version, But I cross reference with other styles to get a better feeling for them. I took this advise from the author of "A purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren.

I use this web site for the other versions

http://www.biblegateway.com/

It is also excellent for copy and paste of verses in this forum, instead of typing all of it out.

I have my bible here and look up passages in it but when I am certain of the passage I want I type it in the web site for the copy and paste part.

Peace

Jim
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.