What exactly are "ghosts"?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

What exactly are "ghosts"?

Post by SUGAAAAA »

Are there any biblical explanations for them? The common thought is that a ghost is a soul of a person who has remained on earth after death.

So would that mean the soul hasnt gone to heaven or hell, or hasnt even been judged?
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

They are evil spirits, none of them are human.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

The devil's evil spirits?
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:The devil's evil spirits?
Satan's minions (evil spirits) act as spirits, because they are, the unseen deceivers. If Satan himself were to deceive someone, the story would get a little worse for that victim. Satan's minions (lesser fallen angels) have less power than Satan himself, since Satan was and is the most powerful angel created by God that rebelled against Him.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

Aren't ghost any spiritual beings?
ie. Holy Ghost
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:Aren't ghost any spiritual beings?
ie. Holy Ghost
Ghosts are demonic spirits, clearly the Holy Ghost/Spirit which is a different "ghost" is not demonic, but Holy, and does not deceive unlike the demonic ghosts/spirits.
Last edited by Believer on Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

Is the Holy Ghost the only non-devil related ghost?
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:Is the Holy Ghost the only non-devil related ghost?
According to scripture in the Bible, while not direct, there are guardian angels that protect the believers, they are not demonic as they come from the Holy God.
Forge
Valued Member

Post by Forge »

Hmm... I don't think all ghosts are evil spirits. In the parable about Lazarus and the rich man, he rich man in hell begged God to let Lazarus to warn his brothers. If Lazarus were to go back, he wouldn't be a demon, would he?
I DEMAND PIE, AND A BARREL OF WHIPPED CREAM
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

I think we need more Scripture in this thread.

A summary of Bible teaching on the subject of ghosts would be a good start.

I'll commence with a list of all the passages in the Bible which refer to ghosts as demons:

That didn't take long.
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Fortigurn wrote:I think we need more Scripture in this thread.
Agreed!

(Matthew 10:33) But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

I bet satan smiled when he read this. Think about 'ghosts' ' aliens' and other super natural phenomena over the past...well all of history really. The fact that satan has come to decieve the nations should shed some light on this.

This is, I believe only one of a myriad of deceptions at work. Anything and everything people are willing to place thier mustard seed in, as long as it's not the Truth.

Test the spirits, the fruit thereof, and tell me, is it dark or light? Does it glorify the Holy Spririt or does it confuse and misguide?

2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks always to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
2Th 2:14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Th 2:15 Therefore brethren stand fast and hold the traditions which ye have been taught whether by word or our epistle.

Eph 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12 For we wrestle, not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Eph 6:13 Wherefore, take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Eph 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith, ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Eph 6:18 Praying always, with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto, with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Eph 6:19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
Eph 6:20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein, I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
Eph 6:21 But that ye also may know my affairs, and how I do, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, shall make known to you all things:
Eph 6:22 Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that ye might know our affairs, and that he might comfort your hearts.
Eph 6:23 Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Eph 6:24 Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.
Grace isn't enough...
Familiar Member

Post by Grace isn't enough... »

Wow thats a mouthful..er somethin...somethin's full of it...lol

Yeah so i believe 1st and 2nd corinthians, lev. and eph. talk about Life beyond, or ghost. I know that as humans God does not want us to try and look behind the veil of death and take a peek. It talks about how ghost are in fact not spirits just wondering around(confusious confusion). They are like whats his face believer said, they try to decive us. i believe they will even act like the people they look like and act out what they did - further decption, anything to try and trick us. This is acually really kinda neat cuz i think it might kinda tie in with the whole japanese believe that if a death occurs in rage the spirits will stay and replay the death scene(the grudge) and they bible gives implications of that very thing...only they are satans minions not human spirits. basically when ya dead its a done deal....that goes for praying for the dead too meeeh*sticks toungue out at catholics* hehe
phiver4
Familiar Member

Re: What exactly are "ghosts"?

Post by phiver4 »

For a further explanation on "ghosts" check out parts 1 and 2 from John Ankerberg contained on the 2 links below.

http://www.johnankerberg.org/Articles/p ... 1005W2.htm

http://www.johnankerberg.org/Articles/p ... 1005W3.htm
JCSx2
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by JCSx2 »

phiver4 wrote:For a further explanation on "ghosts" check out parts 1 and 2 from John Ankerberg contained on the 2 links below.

The links are not working and I cannot find the article, what are the articles titled?
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
phiver4
Familiar Member

Post by phiver4 »

JCSx2 wrote:
phiver4 wrote:For a further explanation on "ghosts" check out parts 1 and 2 from John Ankerberg contained on the 2 links below.

The links are not working and I cannot find the article, what are the articles titled?
Hmmm, I just clicked on them and was taken directly to the articles.

Or try:
http://www.johnankerberg.org