A morbid thought.

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

A morbid thought.

Post by Silvertusk »

I am not sure if this is the right place for this, so please move it if it isn't.

I was wondering if we were the only species on earth who is aware of our own mortality. Do other creatures fear death above the instintive level? Are we the only creatures on this planet who look to see if there is more than just oblivion. If we are and there is no God, don't you think that is incredibly tragic for us as a species that we see more into death than others. That we really know the fear of death. This is similar to what I said about Love in a different post. Because we have this greater awareness of the implications of death and love, doesn't that imply that there is a reason for this....or is it all down to survival? Or are we truely cursed as a species because we know the true implications of death?

Sorry about the morbidity of the question.

God Bless
Silvertusk.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: A morbid thought.

Post by jenna »

I personally don't think of this as a "morbid" question, but a good one. No one wants to die, naturally, but I think most Christians should actually welcome death, because then when we are resurrected we will be with God eternally. Just a thought. :D
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

jenwat3 wrote:I personally don't think of this as a "morbid" question, but a good one. No one wants to die, naturally, but I think most Christians should actually welcome death, because then when we are resurrected we will be with God eternally. Just a thought. :D
I know I have a better view on death now that I understand that I will have an eternal life with God.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

I don't think animals are aware of death in the same way. Of course, don't know how aware they are at all of their role in creation. Certainly, they are aware, at least the higher mammals, of pain (anybody who watches those animal cop shows should be aware of that), but they aren't aware of death. (On the comical side, think about how you know *we* are aware of death, we take pains to avoid it and keep ourselves young and obsess over immortality, how many animals do you see exercising or taking all sorts of pills)

Two things....we are on a different level than the animals....made in the image of God. I think that puts a higher degree of understanidng life/death in the first place. Secondly, I think the corruption of sin provides a deeper awareness of death, fear and "morbid" thoughts. There is something to truly be afraid of in death....separation from God....truly a morbid thought
jpenney
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by jpenney »

You created God because your brain noticed cause and effect relationships, it is capable of self-modeling and it therefore asks the question "what caused me". If we were less arrogant, we might have taken the time to find out if there are other animals whose brains are capable of self-modeling, and then you would have your answer.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

jpenney wrote:You created God because your brain noticed cause and effect relationships, it is capable of self-modeling and it therefore asks the question "what caused me". If we were less arrogant, we might have taken the time to find out if there are other animals whose brains are capable of self-modeling, and then you would have your answer.

Well for one I did not create God. And another thing, what evidence have you got that other anumals ae self-modeling?
charlottecowell
Familiar Member

Post by charlottecowell »

jpenney wrote:You created God because your brain noticed cause and effect relationships
I think there is a grain of truth in the first part of what you say here, 'you created God' but I don't think that is because 'your brain noticed cause and effect relationships.'

if every human being has a personal relationship with God (as is their raison d'etre) then to an extent the God they see and serve is indeed 'God'. Most of us on this forum seem to have been brought up Christian, but what about the cultures for whom Jesus Christ was unknown? They will have their own ideas of God the same as we have, some universal, some particular to that culture....the relationship of God with the creation, in all its diversity, is an ever-evolving thing, in much the same way as the universe is ever-expanding, that is why we can never fully grasp the mystery, as it takes shape beyond the limits of our mind and the cosmos