Was Christ's resurrection in 3 days prophecized?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
phiver4
Familiar Member

Was Christ's resurrection in 3 days prophecized?

Post by phiver4 »

The following verses point to a prophecy about Jesus' rising from the dead in 3 days, however there is no O.T. prophecy on this.

"Thus it is written that the Christ should suffer and rise again from the dead the third day" (Luke 24:47).

The apostle Paul also alleged that the scriptures had spoken of the Messiah's resurrection on the third day: "For I delivered unto you first of all that which also I received, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and that he was buried and he has been raised on the third day ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES" (1 Cor. 15:3-4).

I know that the ancient Jews used analogy and parallel passages in their identification and interpretation of prophecy derived from the Old Testament but I cannot find anything in the O.T. that would really support the above verses.

I have found myself up against a wall in a debate on this one and would like to know if anyone can help.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Was Christ's resurrection in 3 days prophecized?

Post by FFC »

phiver4 wrote:The following verses point to a prophecy about Jesus' rising from the dead in 3 days, however there is no O.T. prophecy on this.

"Thus it is written that the Christ should suffer and rise again from the dead the third day" (Luke 24:47).

The apostle Paul also alleged that the scriptures had spoken of the Messiah's resurrection on the third day: "For I delivered unto you first of all that which also I received, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and that he was buried and he has been raised on the third day ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES" (1 Cor. 15:3-4).

I know that the ancient Jews used analogy and parallel passages in their identification and interpretation of prophecy derived from the Old Testament but I cannot find anything in the O.T. that would really support the above verses.

I have found myself up against a wall in a debate on this one and would like to know if anyone can help.
I always thought that Paul was speaking of Christ's own self proclamation that he would suffer, die and rise again. Could he be speaking about the apostles writings?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
frankbaginski
Valued Member

Post by frankbaginski »

There are a bunch. So just off the top of my head here are a few.

Abraham and Isaac - God said kill son, at that moment son was dead in Abrahams eyes, three days journey they angel stopped him. Isaac is an alusion to Christ. Also Isaac not seen until his bride comes, foreshadow of rature. We don't see Christ until rature.

MT. Sinai - prepare yourself - in third day I will appear.

How long is Jonah in belly of fish?

Just on break, have to go, more later
phiver4
Familiar Member

Post by phiver4 »

[
I always thought that Paul was speaking of Christ's own self proclamation that he would suffer, die and rise again. Could he be speaking about the apostles writings?[/quote]

I don't think those are the Scriptures that Paul is referring to because wouldn't the other apostle's writings still be a work in process? And how would they travel or communicate with each other in that time period?
phiver4
Familiar Member

Post by phiver4 »

frankbaginski wrote:There are a bunch. So just off the top of my head here are a few.

Abraham and Isaac - God said kill son, at that moment son was dead in Abrahams eyes, three days journey they angel stopped him. Isaac is an alusion to Christ. Also Isaac not seen until his bride comes, foreshadow of rature. We don't see Christ until rature.

MT. Sinai - prepare yourself - in third day I will appear.

How long is Jonah in belly of fish?

Just on break, have to go, more later
Thank you,
In my frantic search I did find this, which has helped tremendously:
This is taken from "Bible Study at the Moorings"

Exposition of Hosea 6:1-2

Prophecy tells not only that Jesus would rise from the dead, but also specifies the day after His burial when the Resurrection would take place. Jesus said that the prophets indicate the third day (Luke 18:31-33). Paul agreed that Christ's resurrection on the third day is a fact revealed by the Scriptures (1 Cor. 15:4). Where does the Old Testament divulge this information? The primary source is Hosea 6:1-2.

1 Come, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.
2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.

Hosea 6:1-2

Here is a difficult prophecy, but when we examine it carefully, we find that there is only one reasonable interpretation. In verse 2, who is "us?" Further light appears in the previous chapter.

When Ephraim saw his sickness, and Judah saw his wound, the went Ephraim to the Assyrian, and sent to king Jareb: yet could he not heal you, nor cure you of your wound.

Hosea 5:13

This flashback reveals who needs the healing mentioned in verse 1. It is Ephraim and Judah—in other words, the nation of Israel. So, it is Israel who will be healed and raised up after three days.

There are two common interpretations, but neither is satisfactory.

The usual interpretation is that Hosea is predicting a time when God will look favorably on Israel again and restore her fortunes. He is simply restating the message of many other prophets that God will someday rescue Israel from her troubles, exalt her among the nations, and under her Messiah give her rule over all the earth. Liberal scholars favor this one.
Others suppose that he is talking about a future resurrection of the righteous dead.
But both interpretations founder on the question, What are the two days and the third day? If the revival is a national revival or a mass resurrection of Old Testament saints, how can either of these be meaningfully placed after a two or three-day interval. What interval is it talking about? No one who favors these two interpretations can say.

The true meaning is revealed in Ephesians 4:8-10.

8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Ephesians 4:8-10

The "captivity" here is the Old Testament saints. Christ went to Hades after His death, to the abode of the righteous dead of Israel (Luke 16:23). There He preached the gospel (1 Pet. 4:6) so that they could meet their Savior and respond to Him in love. During their lives on earth, they had believed in God and trusted in Him for salvation, but they had not known Jesus, whose coming was still future. They became acquainted with Him, as it were, only after His death and descent into Hades. Yet He did not visit them and then leave them alone. He brought them out of Hades and took them to heaven so that they might dwell in the presence of the Father. Previously, they could not live in the Father's presence because their sins were not covered by the finished work of Christ. Lacking identification with Christ in His perfection, they had no standing before God and no right to dwell in heaven.

This interpretation allows a full explanation of everything stated in Hosea 6:2.

It says He would "revive us." They must be revived because they are dead.
It says He would "raise us up." They must be raised because their souls dwell in the earth.
The raising would occur "after two days"—to be precise, "in the third day." Their deliverance from Hades would be accomplished at the resurrection of Christ, on the third day after His burial. Yet they were not immediately taken to heaven. On the Sunday when Jesus rose from the dead, before He ascended to the Father with them, many were seen walking about Jerusalem (Matt. 27:52-53). Apparently, His ascension took place later on Sunday. Early on Sunday morning, Christ would not let Mary touch Him because He had not yet ascended (John 20:17), yet in the evening He let the disciples touch Him (Luke 24:39).
The passage says that "we shall live in his sight." After being removed from Hades, they would literally live in the sight or presence of God.
The same interpretation makes sense of verse 3 in Hosea 6.