Test Question...What say you?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
JCSx2
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Test Question...What say you?

Post by JCSx2 »

12. What is the correct belief concerning the Lord's Supper/communion/the Eucharist?

The bread and wine are actually changed in substance to Christ's body and blood, so that they are no more bread and wine in essence, but exclusively the body and blood of our Lord.

The bread and wine are changed so that they become one in substance with Christ's body and blood, that their essence is changed into the body and blood without losing their natural properties.

The bread and wine remain only bread and wine in substance, but by partaking them, faithful believers receive Christ's physical body and blood through the power of the Spirit.

The bread and wine remain only bread and wine in substance, and are not means of grace, but are simply a sign of what they represent and a memorial of Christ's sacrifice.

Not sure
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Test Question...What say you?

Post by jenna »

Not sure about this one, going to read up on it. I think (at this time) that they are a memorial of His sacrifice for us. I may get a better understanding after reading on this.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
johnt
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by johnt »

It is the first one. Every morsel is changed to His Body and every drop is His Blood.
johnt
Recognized Member

Post by johnt »

I just finished reading an indepth paper on the subject about a half hour ago. My head is really startig to hurt. If anyone would like the link I will post it. It is very long and is in the Catholic Encyclopidia. Talk about theology and arguement. My head still hurts after that one!
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I'm always been taught it was just bread and wine that we partook of in remebrence of Jesus and what He did for us. What would be the point of physically eating his body and drinking His blood?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

I agree, FFC, although I think in the uniqueness in the act and in the power of the "remembrance" there IS a change in the significance of the bread and wine. (I don't think they change in sunstance, but change in significance). I think that is why there are warnings about blithely taking communion and preparing one's heart for the act.

One resource (certainly protestant)
http://www.reformed.org/documents/wcf_w ... index.html (if you go here, you can click on the numbers and see the scripture verses used to build the doctrine)
westminster wrote: I. Our Lord Jesus, in the night wherein He was betrayed, instituted the sacrament of His body and blood, called the Lord's Supper, to be observed in His Church, unto the end of the world, for the perpetual remembrance of the sacrifice of Himself in His death; the sealing all benefits thereof unto true believers, their spiritual nourishment and growth in Him, their further engagement in and to all duties which they owe unto Him; and, to be a bond and pledge of their communion with Him, and with each other, as members of His mystical body.[1]

II. In this sacrament, Christ is not offered up to His Father; nor any real sacrifice made at all, for remission of sins of the quick or dead;[2] but only a commemoration of that one offering up of Himself, by Himself, upon the cross, once for all: and a spiritual oblation of all possible praise unto God, for the same:[3] so that the popish sacrifice of the mass (as they call it) is most abominably injurious to Christ's one, only sacrifice, the alone propitiation for all the sins of His elect.[4]
V. The outward elements in this sacrament, duly set apart to the uses ordained by Christ, have such relation to Him crucified, as that, truly, yet sacramentally only, they are sometimes called by the name of the things they represent, to wit, the body and blood of Christ;[10] albeit, in substance and nature, they still remain truly and only bread and wine, as they were before.[11]
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

This is what I believe.

The bread and wine are changed so that they become one in substance with Christ's body and blood, that their essence is changed into the body and blood without losing their natural properties.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:What would be the point of physically eating his body and drinking His blood?
Because that's what he commanded us to do.

Another source (certainly Catholic :wink:).

Scott Hahn's Eucharist article (actually lecture) is some of the best I've seen on the subject. Not only does it provide a solid case for the reasons behind Jesus' command (actual body and blood) but also scriptural support of how it ties in with the Passover meal and what "It is finished" means. I recommend it for whoever is looking for a Catholic perspective on the Holy Communion.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
johnt
Recognized Member

Post by johnt »

Here is the article on that defines the subject we are discussing.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05573a.htm
FFC

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:Because that's what he commanded us to do.
I wondered how long it would take you to respond, Brother. :clap: :P Do we need to get the emoticon with the pope hat? ;)
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Swamper
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

FFC wrote:
I wondered how long it would take you to respond, Brother. :clap: :P Do we need to get the emoticon with the pope hat? ;)
Hahaha...it could be Pope Emoticus I!
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:
I wondered how long it would take you to respond, Brother. :clap: :P
Yeah, I'm a little slow these days.
FFC wrote: Do we need to get the emoticon with the pope hat? ;)
:lol: :lol: maybe with a stetson, make him a southern pope.
Swamper wrote:Hahaha...it could be Pope Emoticus I!
:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:maybe with a stetson, make him a southern pope.
A religious and political figure with a cowboy hat? :? Where have I seen that before. :esurprised: :lol: :tomato:
Last edited by FFC on Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

FFC

Post by FFC »

Look, Byblos! :incense: Is that close enough? K is on a roll!

:shijacked:

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:Look, Byblos! :incense: Is that close enough? K is on a roll!

:shijacked:
:srofl: that is too funny.