resurrection

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: resurrection

Post by oscarsiziba »

I perceive the three days and nights phrase to be meaning a small period of time,not necessarily the 24hr recognising of days.Remember He once said He would destroy and build the temple in three days?Now that was not,as I perceive,a literal 3 days but a short period of time,with the word temple meaning(in this case) the body and death represented by the destruction.He said He would build it in three days' time meaning He would resurrect.
Let us pray for enlightment over these things,but overrall accept the sacrifice of Christ for our sins and we will have a wonderful opportunity to ask Him face-face!
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Remember, Oscar, that Christ Himself was not confused about how long a day was. He plainly stated "Are there not 12 hours in a day?" So He knew that 3 days and three nights meant a period of 72 hours that He would be in the grave.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

:beat:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Ok, ok!
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member

Post by oscarsiziba »

Well sister I DO KNOW HE WAS NOT CONFUSED,BUT HONESTLY SOME THINGS ,i THINK ARE FOR gOD ONLY AND OURS IS TO FOLLOW THAT WHICH HAS BEEN REVEALED BY SCRIPTURE AND IF WE FAIL TO FIND ANSWERS TO SOME OTHER THINGS-I PERCEIVE IT ONLY SHOWS THAT WE ARE FINITE BEINGS.
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
johnt
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by johnt »

Well I guess I'm in BIG TROUBLE NOW! If you all would read this article first then please explain it to help me become unconfused. It is very good and very detailed. I went from believing that Friday was the day of crucifiction, then Wednesday but this young lady makes a very hard case that it just might have been Thursday!!! Jenn I'm very sorry about this but "The Sabbath Day" topic got me to start wondering. I'm truely sorry for opening this can of worms again. By the way this young lady would make a great attorney. She is very detailed and thourough.

http://www.loriswebs.com/lorispoetry/crucifix.html
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Yes, she was very detailed and thorough. Unfortunately she did not have her feast days in line. First, she says that the Passover was after the First day of unleavened bread. This is incorrect. Passover is before the Day of Unleavened Bread. Also, she claims that Passover is a "High Holy Day". This also is wrong. A High Holy Day is a special day of rest, in which no work is performed, much like the weekly Sabbath. The fact of the Passover is that it is the ONLY annual feast day that is NOT proclaimed to be a High Day. Also, what further proof that Jesus died on Passover? see Luke 22:7. "when the Passover must be killed". The Passover was Christ! He died on Passover day, and the following day was the first Day of the Feast of Unleavened bread, or the annual SABBATH.
johnt
Recognized Member

Post by johnt »

"It should now be obvious that the Israelites were not following God's commands about the Feast of Passover. This is part of the reason for the confusion which we are experiencing today when we try to analyze what happened and try to line up the events chronologically so we can determine what events happened on what day of the week." Lori Eldridge wrote. This is what caught my attention after reading several of the paragraphs. I went back and read them over carefully again and continued. Maybe Frank needs to look this study over for it seems to be his style. I found it very profound.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Maybe the Israelites were not, but the Jews did. There is a difference. Jesus was a Jew, and so were many apostles. They knew which days were the proper ones to keep, and they kept them. Israelites or not, Jesus died on Passover day. Any other day, and He would not have been called "Christ our Passover." 1 Cor. 5:7
johnt
Recognized Member

Post by johnt »

"Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed" (1 Cor. 5:7b).
"Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" (John 1:29).

First is a quote from Paul and the second is from John The Baptist. in further reading of Exodus 12:1-6 G-d gives Moses and Aaron the requirements for the gathering and slaughter. Also Exodus 12:3-6 is explicite and includes the preparation, eating and the actual deed to be done to the Egyption firstborn. You also have to realize the orders are very explicite in that instructions are also given that the carcas of the lamb is to be destroyed by fire in the morning. At dusk on the 14th day the lamb is slaughtered and then cooked whole on a pit eaten right away and after midnight all the first born of Egypt to include beasts are killed. Christ has the last supper and holds to the original Passover ritual is then sentenced in the morning and is crucified that afternoon on Passover Day and entombed before sunset. The lamb is slaughtered at dusk on the 14th day of Nisan, cooked and eaten on the 15th day and burned on the morning of the 15th day which is just after the actual act of the killing of the Egyption firstborn which is the act of the Passover for those who were spared.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Right, Christ died on Passover Day. The next day would have been an annual Sabbath, the First Day of Unleavened Bread.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jenna wrote:Right, Christ died on Passover Day. The next day would have been an annual Sabbath, the First Day of Unleavened Bread.
It was also a regular Sabbath. I thought we already established that a while back :wink:.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Byblos wrote:
jenna wrote:Right, Christ died on Passover Day. The next day would have been an annual Sabbath, the First Day of Unleavened Bread.
It was also a regular Sabbath. I thought we already established that a while back :wink:.
No, we didn't. You gave your thoughts on the subject, along with references. But the Sabbath and the First Day of Unleavened Bread did not occur on the same day. :lalala: :fyi: :ewink:
frankbaginski
Valued Member

Post by frankbaginski »

johnt,

HI there, I looked over the link you provided. I think there are a bunch of assumptions there. I will have to go back and check the sequence again. My reference is the book The Coming Prince. I will reread and post something. I am in the middle of a few other studies. When I read The Coming Price it made the most sense to me compared to all others I read concerning these events. It also links the the 69 weeks prophesy in the book of Daniel. It links to the day that Christ rode into Jerusalem on the donkey. If I remember right it was 173,880 days from the order to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem to the day Christ would anounce Himself King. The act of riding the donkey into Jerusalem while the crowd was singing was that event prophesied some 550 years earlier by Daniel.

My favorite books are Daniel, Job, Acts, Revelation, Genesis, Exodus, Ezekiel, Isaiah, in that order.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Hello to all.

Thank you for a good thread. I am quite impressed at how cordial you all are to one another. :D

A skeptic asked me about the 3 days and 3 nights issue so I came here looking for discussions on the subject and found this one.

It took me a while to get through this thread and read some of the links and I still need to go over some of the conversations again and read links I missed.

However, I don't remember reading what the early Church Fathers thought about this subject. Wouldn't that be relevant? Did any of them say it was Friday?

The question that comes to my mind is why the church would observe Friday as the day of Jesus' death if it believed He had died on a Wednesday or a Thursday??

Thanks.

BTW: This was the skeptics challenge:

In Matthew 12:40 Jesus prophesies, “For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly, so shall the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” According to the synoptic gospels Jesus died late Friday afternoon. When the women arrived at the tomb sometime around dawn the following Sunday, the resurrection had already occurred. The time between the crucifixion and the resurrection could not have exceeded a day and a half thereby contradicting the prophecy. This prophecy is again contradicted in Luke 23:43 when Jesus says to the thief, “Truly I say unto you, today you shall be with me in Paradise.” Paradise, as I understand it, is not located in the heart of the earth. So, Jesus, this God-man, couldn't even correctly predict his own resurrection.