What is the meaning of fasting?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
JCSx2
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: What is the meaning of fasting?

Post by JCSx2 »

Ashley wrote:Thank you for all who replied to me. I have got some ideas how to fast now.
These days, I felt like dstant from God; the feeling's been quite strong recently because for some reasons I wasn't able to show up in church for some time. Occassionally I sang some hymns and thought of HIm under my own steam. The solitude on my business trip was unbearable... feel like doing something FOR Him because He was being with me. To show my need and express my love for Him. I want Him.

very often I felt myself a bit filthy, rather doubtful whether He heard me even I whispered to him in my heart. Of course I knew He was always there watching and listening to us even we didn't find Him. It was just the case I fell into sin when temptation enticed me. I felt so weak and helpless..

Somehow I thought of fasting.. something that at least I clearly know that I am committing myself to do something for Him, an objective that is measurable and well-defined. Simply the way to fast I've got little idea, like : what food should I avoid or should I starve, drinking water only... etc.

Reading the replies, I perceive that fasting means abstinence from something that we usually do or take. Food is fleshly desire , I think if we stop doing for some fleshly desires or lower the level of doing these for, e.g 2 - 3 days JUST FOR SAKE OF HIM. It shows a committment or determination that strengthens our faith.

my personal opinion only, though.

Thanks so much to all of you. thank you.

If you want to do something for him, why don't you do charity work; or something people of lesser circumstance can benefit from, in his name of course.

Fasting I feel is a wasted effort in doing something for God. Who benefits from this? You are hungry and miserable, God hears you being hungry and miserable.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Fasting is not a waste of time and is Biblically recommended and mandated in several instances.

When Jesus disciples cannot handle a possessed man, Jesus tells them, "this kind does not come our except with prayer and fasting."

Fasting is a physical AND spiritual discipline. The bringing of the body under the control of one's own will and spirit for the purpose of focusing upon God and added time in prayer is something that far too few Christians understand, practise or appreciate. There are physical benefits as well, but those in my opinion are secondary.

It's something the scriptures admonish us to do privately, not calling attention to our spirituality.

Anyone interested should in my opinion simply pick up a concordance and go through the Scriptures where-ever fasting is mentions and take notes as to what it says about it uses and its importance. Take some time, because there is a lot of material.

Something that the Bible takes so much time to describe, advocate and encourage is not something to be taken lightly.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Very good post! I wish others could see that, in other areas besides fasting. :amen:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Ashley
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Ashley »

JCSx2 wrote:
If you want to do something for him, why don't you do charity work; or something people of lesser circumstance can benefit from, in his name of course.

Fasting I feel is a wasted effort in doing something for God. Who benefits from this? You are hungry and miserable, God hears you being hungry and miserable.
Nice to hear your reminder. I guess I didn't use the most accurate expression that caused such a misunderstanding.

I trust that those guys having attended Sunday school are aware of the teaching that human behaviour is not a mean to serve the Lord. [we do not conquer death because of behavior, but because of living with Him. Familiar teaching?] Good human behaviour is supposed to be a result of living in Him. Scripturally God looks at a man's heart, instead of his appearance. The priority of our belief, as I am always told, is our hearts and keeping them in line with God's will.

We understand God's will only through reading the Bible and prayer asking for His will. Suppose a guy lives in God he should automatically do something that we see on the sidelines are benevolent and kind.

Interestingly "what are considered to be 'benevolent' and 'kind' " are invariably abused by a lot of people. I am not saying that doing charity work is not showing God's will. In the same way, you could also be accused of "hypocrisy" if doing too much charity work so exalts a guy much enough to become political against others. Paradoxically, NOT doing any charity work doesn't necessarily mean that these guys are mischeivous or poor believers. While you believe that doing charity work equals to doing for Him, how much of work should we do to please Him and be taken to be put right with Him? What benchmark do we have and how can we conclude that a guy measures up?

I did see a secretary griped about her coworker who shirked buying her a meal after winning a lottery, as "bad and evil behavior". Thinking about it in another perspective, why should a guy winning a lottery buy people a meal? Yes it is good that he would buy his friends a meal. No he isn't bad if he would choose not to.

Because human deeds are highly unreliable, (we never see through human hearts), "what we do" will never be a measuring line to judge if one is living with God. I think what you said poses a problem of "priority".

Just like Martha in the Gospel. She accused Mary of wriggling out of work for Jesus. Jesus taught that Mary chose the right thing while Martha focused on the wrong side. (I boldly try to interpret it)

Last edited by Ashley on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Fasting is not a waste of time and is Biblically recommended and mandated in several instances.

When Jesus disciples cannot handle a possessed man, Jesus tells them, "this kind does not come our except with prayer and fasting."

Fasting is a physical AND spiritual discipline. The bringing of the body under the control of one's own will and spirit for the purpose of focusing upon God and added time in prayer is something that far too few Christians understand, practise or appreciate. There are physical benefits as well, but those in my opinion are secondary.

It's something the scriptures admonish us to do privately, not calling attention to our spirituality.

Anyone interested should in my opinion simply pick up a concordance and go through the Scriptures where-ever fasting is mentions and take notes as to what it says about it uses and its importance. Take some time, because there is a lot of material.

Something that the Bible takes so much time to describe, advocate and encourage is not something to be taken lightly.
Thank you, I will actually do some research on this topic. I do claim ignorance to this issue; I agree with the following statement.
Canuckster1127 wrote:Something that the Bible takes so much time to describe, advocate and encourage is not something to be taken lightly.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ashley
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Ashley »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Fasting is not a waste of time and is Biblically recommended and mandated in several instances.

Fasting is a physical AND spiritual discipline. The bringing of the body under the control of one's own will and spirit for the purpose of focusing upon God and added time in prayer is something that far too few Christians understand, practise or appreciate. There are physical benefits as well, but those in my opinion are secondary..

I like this definition.

It should not be taken lightly. It is easier to say than to do it.