Modest Dress and Headcoverings: Male Response?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Modest Dress and Headcoverings: Male Response?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

oscarsiziba wrote:One writer says of fashion:'Fashion taxes without reason and collects without mercy'.
Women as well as men have great accountability for the way they dress and behave as no action has no bearing on the life of another-even the smallest action.Bathsheba was very right to bath,but her small act of wantonness was cause of David's big sin.Behold how a small action has bigger repercussions!
I would say to men and women-dress in a way that would not make you blush if Jesus visited you or opened your wardrobe.The redeemed are pictured as putting on robes(what does that indicate)?
God help us. 8)
I agree, Fashion is an expensive treadmill. Thankfully, any who know me have never accused me of this lack of judgement. (not since I first mixed plaid with stripes anyway ..... :oops: )

Women do have a responsibility to dress modestly and appropriately so as not to cause men to fall, but then, men are responsible with where they place their eyes and how they act. I've long sincein my own life given up on any expectation that women in general will be responsible for where I place my eyes. So I take that for myself and am constantly training myself to not take the second look and to take thoughts captive.

David, in his confession to God did not blame Bathsheeba. He took responsibility for his sin. In fact, were he on the battlefield where a healthy king belonged he would not have been idle and subject to the sight of Bathsheeba in her bath on the roof, which was a private place free from the view of most.

I haven't gone to robes yet. Is a loose sweater OK? :pound:
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re:

Post by jenna »

LadyHel wrote:Erm... I'm not male, but for reasons that I can't be bothered to discuss here, it's probably appropriate for me to post on this.
It depends. Personally, I find kids who haven't gone through puberty dressing like they're on the pull one of the most disturbing things ever. On the other hand "modest dressing" is often escapism and hiding form the world. It often denotes a lack of confidence with your body and that's not right either.
I like wearing short skirts and tight tops sometimes, because I like my body. I wear the clothes for me, not for anybody else.
I suppose that's the point. It's who you're doing it for. If you do it because you like the way it makes you look, that's fine. If you're doing it because you think somebody will like you more for it, that's not.

It's the difference between caking your face in a mask of foundation, and using a bright eyeshadow that draws attention to you and highlights your eyes.
You like your body, so you like showing it off? Sounds like a vanity issue to me. It's like announcing to the world 'Hey! Look at me! See what I got?'
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member

Post by oscarsiziba »

Yea,Jen,I mean on the other side of earth,but the practice is done under here.If one isn't interested in proper dressing under here they wouldn't be happy putting on the holy robes of victory(which of course wouldn't be revealing,anyway) :esmile:
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Yes, I agree. My PERSONAL belief is that dressing inappropriately and wearing makeup is wrong. (Boy am I going to get some static now!) :lol:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

David, in his confession to God did not blame Bathsheeba. He took responsibility for his sin.
Yeah after Nathan told him a little story to jog his memory. Today we have the Holy spirit to do that.

It's interesting that in 1 Kings David is mentioned, I can't remember the verse, as being a man after Gods own heart and upright in all his ways... except in the case of Uriah the hittite. What a spot on his spiritual resume', huh?.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

FFC wrote:
David, in his confession to God did not blame Bathsheeba. He took responsibility for his sin.
Yeah after Nathan told him a little story to jog his memory. Today we have the Holy spirit to do that.

It's interesting that in 1 Kings David is mentioned, I can't remember the verse, as being a man after Gods own heart and upright in all his ways... except in the case of Uriah the hittite. What a spot on his spiritual resume', huh?.
David wasn't perfect by a long shot, but God still used him. Makes me kinda glad that there is hope for all of us, me included.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
FFC
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
FFC wrote:

David wasn't perfect by a long shot, but God still used him. Makes me kinda glad that there is hope for all of us, me included.
:amen:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member

Post by oscarsiziba »

Dressing,I perceive is meant to cover the body,not essentials only, and the shape thereof and for anything to fall short of this purpose is to defeat the whole purpose of it.Rather walk stark naked and really show who you are than be a hypocrite,placing a cloth here and there over your body.
Some greater part of the world's nudity is owed to fashion and many are on the highway to hell in following this meretricious thing.
:crying:
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

"and the shape thereof"

I think there is a way to dress for women that still reflects our feminine shape without resorting to shapeless sacks and yet still remains classy and modest. At some point, dressing in shapeless sacks can reflect a shame in our bodies, a needless shame.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
JesusSmiles
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JesusSmiles »

There are times when I thought a Berka would be real nice. I could go to the grocery store without having to do my hair and makeup. :lol:

I think every woman knows her motives in chosing clothes, hair-style and the amount of makeup. If she checks her motives.....she'll be okay in what she choses. There are plenty of clothes out there between 'sacks and cleavage'.
God is Great, and therefore He will be sought.
Good is Good, and therefore He will be found.
Anonymous
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

JesusSmiles wrote:There are times when I thought a Berka would be real nice. I could go to the grocery store without having to do my hair and makeup. :lol:

I think every woman knows her motives in chosing clothes, hair-style and the amount of makeup. If she checks her motives.....she'll be okay in what she choses. There are plenty of clothes out there between 'sacks and cleavage'.
Clothes and hairstyle, I can agree with. You are correct that there are alot of different styles of clothes. One question though, what would be the motive behind the makeup?
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

jenna wrote:One question though, what would be the motive behind the makeup?
Fear of age...?
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

BavarianWheels wrote:
jenna wrote:One question though, what would be the motive behind the makeup?
Fear of age...?
Make-up is pretty much a means to cover imperfections and to enhance the natural attractiveness of a woman's features.

I had a pastor years ago who said it this way for women,

"If you need to paint the barn, go ahead, just don't paint it too bright."
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

:esurprised: :lol: :lol:

I think that this too is a matter of heart attitude. It's one thing to understand how to do make-up to frame the eyes or complement the eye color...but another thing altogether if this is linked to an insecurity that reflects vanity or shame.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Not to get into a debate, but I have always been taught that makeup, in any form, is used to make a woman look better than she actually does. Vanity, perhaps. However, Zoe and Canuckster have good points. y:-?