Did Jesus go to Hell?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Did Jesus go to Hell?

Post by jenna »

Yes, we physically die, but we won't receive eternal life until after the resurrection.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

jenwat3 wrote:Yes, we physically die, but we won't receive eternal life until after the resurrection.
It is received the moment one believes. It is the gift given NOW.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

BavarianWheels wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:Yes, we physically die, but we won't receive eternal life until after the resurrection.
Amen. That point can't be stressed too strongly.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member

Post by oscarsiziba »

BavarianWheels wrote:
What happens then when I rescind on my belief?Once saved,always saved? :esurprised:
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

What happens then when I rescind on my belief?Once saved,always saved?
How beautiful His grace is. He is faithful even when we're not.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

jenna wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:No one has seen the face of God? Hmm . . . I guess the Bible got it wrong, then. ;)
  • "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty." Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. (Isaiah 6:4-6)
Anyway, that's something of a tangent. Regarding Sheol, it doesn't do any good to simply assert the the abode of the dead is the grave. I've already pointed out that there is a word for grave: qeber. You've also not taken into account the translation of hades for sheol, so while I appreciate your arguments, they are just bald assertions that run counter to the evidence.
This may be stirring the pot a little, but I did find a verse you may want to read. It is 1John 4:12. :stirthepot:
No stirring necessary. The verse says just what it means. No one has ever seen God (the Father). The Father has never manifested Himself soas to be seen by a human being. But, when we love each other, then the Father is revealed in us.

So, what do we do with the fact that the OT says in several places that people have seen God? Simple. We recognize the obvious fact that Yahweh of the OT is the Second Person of the Godhead. The Person Moses, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Abraham, and others saw was preincarnate Jesus. Compare those descriptions with the descriptions of Jesus in Revelation, and you'll see they are describing the same thing.

I think my point stands vindicated regarding this entire issue of Jesus, Hell, "soul-slee", the thief, etc. :)

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

jenna wrote:Yes, we physically die, but we won't receive eternal life until after the resurrection.
That's not what Jesus says.

"Truly, truly I say to you: whoever believes has everlasting life." John 6:47, notice the present tense.

SJohn 5:24 is also interesting, because it says those who believed have passed (past tense) out of death and into life. Just scan through John, and you'll see Jesus always says that the moment we believe, eternal life is something we have immediately.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

If you are to take that verse at face value, to say that whoever believes has everlasting life, then it should be taken to mean that person will never die at all, not even once. Is this the case? I don't think it is. This verse simply means that if you partake of Jesus, you WILL HAVE everlasting life. Note also, the apostles believed in Jesus. Are they still alive today? no, but this does not mean they will not have eternal life!
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I do take it at face value.

From the same book:
  • Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" John 11:25-26
Again, Jesus says that whoever believes HAS everlasting life. So I'll ask you the same question He asked Martha? Do you believe this? Or did Jesus misspeak? ;)

The Bible says we have everlasting life right now. If your theology doesn't allow for that, perhaps you should figure out which part of your theology is mistaken, rather than rephrasing the Bible to make it say something it doesn't?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

I think you may have answered your own question, Jac, with your verse. Notice how it says "He who believes in Me WILL LIVE, EVEN THOUGH HE DIES"? Not putting different words in this verse. This means that those who believe do have eternal life, but they will not receive it right away. "EVEN THOUGH HE DIES", they will receive it after the resurrection.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Sure I nioticed. And did you notice he was talking about Lazaras having just died? And did you notice the part where He said, "whoever lives and believes in me will never die"? Of course, this is the same Man who said, "Whoever believes has everlasting life."

Sounds like I answered both our questions. ;)
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

It sounds like it, yes. :ewink: Let me ask you this, though. What do you make of the verse Revelations 22:12? " Behold, I come quickly, and My reward is with me, to give to every man". Sounds to me like Jesus will bring His reward when He returns, we don't get eternal life immediately.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Where is eternal life said to be a reward? I know of no such scripture. On the other hand, maybe the reward He brings are the eternal rewards we receive when He returns? (i.e., Luke 19:11-26; 1 Cor 3:13-15; 2 Cor 5:9-10; 2 Tim 4:8; James 1:12; Rev 2:10; etc.)
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

So what is your take on the "crown of life"? And what other rewards do you think He will bring with Him when He returns? What other reward will we get other than eternal life?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

1. The crown of life is the crown that is given to those who persevere in the faith;
2. We will receive various rewards, which I understand to be the extent of our authority on the New Earth, when Christ returns. These will be granted at the Judgment Seat of Christ (already referenced), and distributed at the Lord's Second Coming.
3. I don't understand eternal life to be a reward.

:)