marijuana/prostitution

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: marijuana/prostitution

Post by oscarsiziba »

Whether or not marijuana has less effects in relation to crime does not matter as it still is dangerous to the smoker.This becomes sin to Gopd who created the body and has declared it the His temple-many of us have turned these bodies into dens of robbers or brothels..whatever,but marijuana or alcohol aren't good to health and therefore cannot be tolerated.For a nation /gvt to legalise it would be apostatising as this is contra-Scripture bad for the people in the long run.
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Smoking marijuana is bad for our health, yes. However there are lots of other uses for it besides smoking it. And alcohol IN MODERATION can actually be good for your health. Wine, both red and white, have been shown to have beneficial health "side effects".
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

oscarsiziba wrote:alcohol aren't good to health and therefore cannot be tolerated.

Didn't Jesus turn water in to wine himself for the wedding? At the last supper what is supposed to be his blood? There are many other accounts in the Bible where wine is accepted so I cannot see the absolute truth as to alcohol not being tolerated.

Abusing it I can see as being a no-no.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member

Post by oscarsiziba »

Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler,whoever is caught by these is not wise.
The kind that Jesus made is in Greek referred to as ouikos meaning grape juice and it is this that the people drank at the wedding and must have been the one made by Jesus.
God does not deal with moderation when it comes to principle:It's either you do or you don't.
The Lord's supper is conducted using grape juice,not beer(which to come this far would have been fermented)
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

oscarsiziba wrote:Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler,whoever is caught by these is not wise.
The kind that Jesus made is in Greek referred to as ouikos meaning grape juice and it is this that the people drank at the wedding and must have been the one made by Jesus.
God does not deal with moderation when it comes to principle:It's either you do or you don't.
The Lord's supper is conducted using grape juice,not beer(which to come this far would have been fermented)
There are many health benefits to drinking red wine and it is very high in antioxidants.

I am not sure how consistent the following line fits your interpretation if we substitute grape juice for wine: "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now." (John 2:10)
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

I agree with K on this. Anything used in moderation as far as alcohol can't be too bad. It may actually benefit. And like he said, if it was actually grape juice, how could you bring out the choice grape juice? It may have been grape juice to START with, but that's how wine is made!
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
charlottecowell
Familiar Member

Post by charlottecowell »

The terrible effects that alcohol can - and does - have on individuals and society, compared with the relatively tame effects of marijuana, make the law seem very hypocritical indeed. I'm willing to bet my entire salary that more crimes are committed as a result of people drinking than having a herbal smoke. There's a lot of misunderstading in the world when it comes to drugs and I think when it comes to things of this kind the sage rule, 'nothing in excess', is wise indeed.

In an ideal world the religious person would never be inebriated or under the influence of anything but God's will, but we all have our poison - half the world can't do a day's work without a pint of coffee and sugar is one of the most addictive substances known to man, so if people start moralising they'd better be sure they don't have any secret cravings for chocolate :lol:

As for prostitution, yes, I think it should be legalised to prevent human traficking, crimes against street-walkers, drug addiction, STDs and so on. I feel sorry for women who have to resort to prostitution and I think we should make their lives easier if we can by decriminalising it.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

I don't think legalizing prostitution would prevent crimes such as crimes against street-walkers, drug abuse, or std's. It may actually raise the statistics of these problems, since more people would be visiting prostitutes, without fear of being arrested. It may also cause an increase in divorce and other things.
charlottecowell
Familiar Member

Post by charlottecowell »

I can't see how legalising prostitution would lead to divorce....I'd say prostitution is preferable to someone having an affair (which usually involves emotional attachments) if they aren't satisfied in their marriage. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's ideal - far from it - but the lesser of two evils in my opinion, the more honest choice. Prostitution is merely an infidelity of the body (for a married man) not the mind, heart or even soul as well.

Also, if brothels were legal there'd be pretty good health guidelines and it would help prevent women being used against their will, which is sexual slavery.
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

If something is wrong, it's wrong. LEgalizing prostitution would be wrong because prostitution is wrong.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

"Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, 'The two will become one flesh.' But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit." 1 Corinthians 6:4

Sorry if that was quoted already. Besides the spiritual consequences of prostitution, I'm not convinced that things would get better for prostitutes if it were legalized. I'm sure many women (and girls) would still be forced into it. Wouldn't legalizing it debase our culture? Why should we condone women being treated as simple recepticles for mens' uncontrolled desires? I wish I knew how many men really feel the way Charlotte described them.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Absolutely!!, It would be a sanction fopr treating women as chattel and do we really want to place any sort of endorsement or condonement on it? THis is such a heinous activity that we shouldn't tolerate it as a culture. Are we so willing to look the other way? This is how society used to view mistresses and wives. YOu were to look the other way while the man committed adultery.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

charlottecowell wrote:I can't see how legalising prostitution would lead to divorce....I'd say prostitution is preferable to someone having an affair (which usually involves emotional attachments) if they aren't satisfied in their marriage. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's ideal - far from it - but the lesser of two evils in my opinion, the more honest choice. Prostitution is merely an infidelity of the body (for a married man) not the mind, heart or even soul as well.

Also, if brothels were legal there'd be pretty good health guidelines and it would help prevent women being used against their will, which is sexual slavery.
It would still be considered commiting adultery, however you look at it. Would it really be more honest? Sin is sin, no matter what. Even if it were legalized, God's view of it haasn't changed.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

jenna wrote:
charlottecowell wrote:I can't see how legalising prostitution would lead to divorce....I'd say prostitution is preferable to someone having an affair (which usually involves emotional attachments) if they aren't satisfied in their marriage. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's ideal - far from it - but the lesser of two evils in my opinion, the more honest choice. Prostitution is merely an infidelity of the body (for a married man) not the mind, heart or even soul as well.

It would still be considered commiting adultery, however you look at it. Would it really be more honest? Sin is sin, no matter what. Even if it were legalized, God's view of it haasn't changed.
If God's view of it hasn't changed and it tears the social fabric by undermining the family and marriage, why would a Christian support it's legalization?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

I certainly wouldn't support it's legalization. I was merely saying "if". In response to Charlotte's post. :roll: