Movies

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: Movies

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:
Byblos wrote:Did you notice what happened? I'm sure you typed the 'D i c k Van D y k e' show (minus the blanks) and it was posted as The **** Van [Lesbian] show . That is just too funny, political correctness run amok.
Oh my gosh! No I didn't notice that! I am laughing so hard now. I'm not sure what the The **** Van [Lesbian] show would be about...but I would steer clear of it. ;)
Me too. When I saw that it took me a few seconds to realize what'd happened but I got a good chuckle out of it. I bet he would too. I'm looking to see if I can send him an e-mail (through his fan club, maybe?).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:
FFC wrote:
Byblos wrote:Did you notice what happened? I'm sure you typed the 'D i c k Van D y k e' show (minus the blanks) and it was posted as The **** Van [Lesbian] show . That is just too funny, political correctness run amok.
Oh my gosh! No I didn't notice that! I am laughing so hard now. I'm not sure what the The **** Van [Lesbian] show would be about...but I would steer clear of it. ;)
Me too. When I saw that it took me a few seconds to realize what'd happened but I got a good chuckle out of it. I bet he would too. I'm looking to see if I can send him an e-mail (through his fan club, maybe?).
I'm sure he would think it funny. He'll probably trip over his ottoman. :lol:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Swamper
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

Gman wrote:
Swamper wrote:Thanks Zoegirl for the Doctor Who info, I'll look into it soon. :)

Another series I like is NCIS. I just got the first season of it for my birthday. Great show. :D
Hey happy B-day Swamper.. You da man... 8)
Thanks Gman. :)
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

andyredeemed wrote:Zoegirl, did you ever see any of the Blackadder comedies? I think you'd like it.
yes , my brother used to watch them....I havent' seen many, though, I really wish I had BBC America or that my PBS station showed them. Rowan Atkinson is hysterical in them.

I do like them :D
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

zoegirl wrote:
andyredeemed wrote:Zoegirl, did you ever see any of the Blackadder comedies? I think you'd like it.
yes , my brother used to watch them....I havent' seen many, though, I really wish I had BBC America or that my PBS station showed them. Rowan Atkinson is hysterical in them.

I do like them :D
Speaking of Rowan Atkinson...I love Mr. Bean!
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

The Christmas special is my favorite. When he is playing with the creche.... :D "Christmas Socks"
Beth
Newbie Member

Post by Beth »

Movies are movies. Christians are Christians. Two different things yet when you look at the deeper side; what are movies made for? What are Christians made for?
movies are made to please the general public
Christians were made be with God, to coincide, live with and be loved by God. That said; I think God has a sense of humor. Maybe not a gross sick sense of humor that is seen in human nature, but a sense of humor nonetheless.
I see movies as the are meant to be seen. People trying to tell a story. Something are inappropriate and need not be there to tell the story at hand but like I said movies are made for the pleasure of the general public. I have walked out of movie theaters because of gross inappropriate content that completely discredited the story line. But when you find a well balanced movie that is suitable in it's genre and story line it has gone beyond being a movie and becomes a moving story. I can not say whether "Bruce Almighty" was a inappropriate movie because I honestly don't remember it but what I did get from it is the fact that if humans had the power that God did we would abuse it. To me it shows how superior God is. But you have to remember in movies like that they exaggerate everything to huge proportions just to get a point through and even have a light heart about it.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

bizzt wrote:
zoegirl wrote:
LOved the movie version of "The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe"....
Yeah it was pretty good. I wish it showed a little more about the coming about of the Witch.

Unfortunately that would be stepping onto "The Magicians Nephew" territory and I think that should be made into a movie in its own right.

Silvertusk.
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Silvertusk wrote:
bizzt wrote:
zoegirl wrote:
Yeah it was pretty good. I wish it showed a little more about the coming about of the Witch.

Unfortunately that would be stepping onto "The Magicians Nephew" territory and I think that should be made into a movie in its own right.

Silvertusk.
Well, if they make film adaptations of all the books, that one is probably many years down the road, since it appears that the movies are being made in the order that the books were released and "The Magician's Nephew" was the sixth book released.
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member

Post by oscarsiziba »

I don't watch any other kind of movies,save the Christian ones,the majority by Lube PrODUCTIONS and Moody Institute Classics.Think the devil introduces some ungodly teachings and compromises through theatre
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Swamper wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:
bizzt wrote:
zoegirl wrote:

Silvertusk.
Well, if they make film adaptations of all the books, that one is probably many years down the road, since it appears that the movies are being made in the order that the books were released and "The Magician's Nephew" was the sixth book released.

by the way, did you guys notice the previews for "Prince Caspian"!! Loking forwar to it!! LOVE, LOVE LOVE C S Lewis!!
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I only watch movies about why we shouldn't watch movies. y:-?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I only watch movies about why we shouldn't watch movies. y:-?
:clap: :popcorn:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
psr6782
Acquainted Member

Post by psr6782 »

Life of Brian was HYSTERICAL!
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!"

Also, while I thought Passion was a good and powerful movie (especially for this season), I really prefer the 70's version of Jesus Christ Superstar, it really captures the emotions with the music and even shows Jesus resurrected at the end (the stage version did not include this). I try and watch it every year around this time.
JesusSmiles
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JesusSmiles »

When I watch a movie or a television show...I simply ask myself if Jesus physcially walked in the door right now - would I be comfortable with Him seeing what I am entertaining myself with or would I be embarassed while grabbing the remote to quickly try to redeem myself. I tell my teenagers to do the same thing when chosing video games.

I think it's important to realize everyone has their own level of truth and reasoning. Therefore, what one person is comfortable with, I may not be....and vice-versa. So, I don't think we can come up with a definitive 'these are the only movies or shows you can watch' list. It's an idividual choice.

And YES....I KNOW Jesus sees what I'm watching even if He isn't walking thru the front door....but it's an exercise I do because I can seriously block out spiritual thoughts if it's a movie I REALLY want to see. :lol:
God is Great, and therefore He will be sought.
Good is Good, and therefore He will be found.
Anonymous