How can you tell?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Charlie Brown
Acquainted Member

How can you tell?

Post by Charlie Brown »

How can you tell if a pastor at a church is one that is properly preaching the Bible?
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: How can you tell?

Post by BavarianWheels »

Charlie Brown wrote:How can you tell if a pastor at a church is one that is properly preaching the Bible?
A good question. I suppose it's a good reason to study the Bible for ourselves and ask for the HS to help us in understanding.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Charlie Brown wrote:How can you tell if a pastor at a church is one that is properly preaching the Bible?
Well....these days if he is preaching politics....LOL.... sorry, I couldn't resist, please forgive me?

BW has it right-the better knowledge and understanding we have of the Bible will help us determine if we should be in that congregation. If he/she preaches doctrine that goes against your core beliefs then you may want to consider going elsewhere. Bear in mind that we don't always agree with everything our pastor has to say, but often there is enough commonality to keep us there.

I hope this helps.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Theology is one thing, but fruits is also another flag....

Matthew 7:19-21

19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Charlie Brown
Acquainted Member

Post by Charlie Brown »

The reason I'm asking is for a friend of a friend. lol

Anyway, here is something that I got off of their website that kind of threw up a red flag -
We believe that Jesus was not lying when He stated that we would do greater works than
Him (John 4:12)
Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? John 4:12
Obviously, this is just one example, but to me He was not saying anything about us doing greater works than Him. He was just asking the Samaritan woman if she was greater than Jacob......unless I'm reading it wrong.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

What's the groups name?

Is this "The Way" ?

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Charlie Brown
Acquainted Member

Post by Charlie Brown »

Gman wrote:What's the groups name?

Is this "The Way" ?

Grace Fellowship.

That was just one line from their "mission" page.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Charlie Brown wrote:

Is this "The Way" ?

Grace Fellowship.

Which Grace Fellowship and where? There are many Churches that use that name. I passed one today in Colorado called Grace Freedom Fellowship and another called Grace Fellowship Southern Baptist.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Charlie Brown wrote:

Is this "The Way" ?

Grace Fellowship.

Ok.. I don't know much about them. It looks like they are trinitarian, but it seems a bit out of character to state that one can do greater works than Christ. Some cult groups would have you believe that if you have enough faith, then you can move mountains, etc... This is incorrect... First and foremost certain works cannot be accomplished without the guidance, revelation, or consent of God first. Therefore faith is not something you build on your own, it is only established through the works of God.

Charlie Brown
Acquainted Member

Post by Charlie Brown »

I should have included this link.

http://www.gracegeorgetown.org/AboutUs.html
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Charlie,

They are Charismatics...

Quote: "The full consummation of the Baptism of believers in the Holy Spirit is evidenced by the initial physical
sign of speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance, and by the subsequent manifestation
of spiritual power in public testimony and service (Acts 2:4; 10:44-46; 19:2,6; 1:8)"

They believe in Speaking in tongues for one thing. I've already been through this.

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =8&t=32915

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

In other words, if you don't Speak in Tongues, then you don't have the Holy Spirit inside you and therefore you are not saved...

Get it now?

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Charlie Brown wrote:I should have included this link.

http://www.gracegeorgetown.org/AboutUs.html
Thanks for the link!

Here is what they say:
Grace Fellowship of Georgetown is an independent affiliate church of Grace Ministries,
under the covering of Grace Fellowship of Lexington. We are a nondenominational,
charismatic, full Gospel Word of Faith church.
As long they do not handle snakes - they maybe worth a visit. In there statement of faith, they hold the financial prosperity gospel which I disagree with. As for them being Charismatic, as long as they do not pass around snakes and drink spiked cool aid — they might be okay.

The phrase, 'full Gospel Word of Faith' is also one of those phrases that many churches use that can mean a wide array of things. I'll look at their web site a bit more and give a better opinion later.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Charlie,

I hate to be a party pooper but they claim that they can offer you Total Prosperity? I'm sorry, this is false.... A first sign of a cult or gnostic (hidden truths).

Their claim:

Total Prosperity

(a) Spiritual. John 3:3,11; II Cor. 5:17-21; Romans 10:9-10
(b) Mental. II Tim. 1:7; Romans 12:2; Isaiah 26:3.
(c) Physical. Isaiah 53:4,5; Matt. 8:17; I Peter 2:24.
(d) Financial. III John 1:2; Malachi 3:10-11; Luke 6:38; I Cor. 9:6-19; Deut. 28: 1-14.
(e) Social. Proverbs 3:4.

Charlie Brown
Acquainted Member

Post by Charlie Brown »

Gman wrote:Charlie,

I hate to be a party pooper but they claim that they can offer you Total Prosperity? I'm sorry, this is false.... A first sign of a cult or gnostic (hidden truths).

Their claim:

Total Prosperity

(a) Spiritual. John 3:3,11; II Cor. 5:17-21; Romans 10:9-10
(b) Mental. II Tim. 1:7; Romans 12:2; Isaiah 26:3.
(c) Physical. Isaiah 53:4,5; Matt. 8:17; I Peter 2:24.
(d) Financial. III John 1:2; Malachi 3:10-11; Luke 6:38; I Cor. 9:6-19; Deut. 28: 1-14.
(e) Social. Proverbs 3:4.

Cool, thanks for the help. I'll pass along this information to her. :)