number of the beast?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Markster106
Familiar Member
Christian: No

number of the beast?

Post by Markster106 »

Is it 666 or 616?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: number of the beast?

Post by jenna »

I believe the bible says 666. I am not sure where 616 comes from. :econfused:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Seraph
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

Now, I may be WAY off on this, but i heard that in Revelations, the number 3 represents God and the number 6 represents man. So the significance of three 6's is that the Beast will try to convince mankind that they can become God. That's why it is 666.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Markster106
Familiar Member

Post by Markster106 »

Seraph

Post by Seraph »

either way, it doesnt matter too much...

its 666 though :ewink: :twisted:
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Markster106
Familiar Member

Post by Markster106 »

well the thing is that if it WAS 616, that would make the bible wrong right?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Markster106 wrote:well the thing is that if it WAS 616, that would make the bible wrong right?
Yes, it would. But who are we supposed to believe, the word of man or the word of God? Is the bible wrong?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Markster106
Familiar Member

Post by Markster106 »

but the bible is the word of god, so it must be perfect right?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Markster106 wrote:but the bible is the word of god, so it must be perfect right?
Exactly.
Markster106
Familiar Member

Post by Markster106 »

so if the real number was 616, the bible would be wrong and therefore god would be wrong right?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Markster106 wrote:so if the real number was 616, the bible would be wrong and therefore god would be wrong right?
Yes, that would be true. And since God is never wrong, then the number is 666. Anything else would make God a liar and deceiver. Is this how you view it? y:-?
Markster106
Familiar Member

Post by Markster106 »

Well then why is there papyrus that says the number is 616?
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

The Bible is the source of the so-called "number of the beast". So how in the world can the Bible say 666 and the "actual" number be 616? That is like saying "do Romeo and Juliet die at the end of Shakespeare's tradgedy "Romeo and Juliet"? Shakespeare's script says they do, but so-and-so says they don't. Therefore Shakespeare was WRONG!!!!"

Even if it did turn out that the real number is 616, that would only mean there was an error in translation along the way. It would NOT make the BIBLE wrong. The english TRANSLATION of the Bible can be wrong about something, as it has been about many things before. However, the Bible itself, translation errors aside, is a solid piece of work.

Besides just cause some person on the web says its 616 doesn't mean it actually is. There are people on the web that claim that the earth is flat...
Last edited by Seraph on Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markster106
Familiar Member

Post by Markster106 »

Seraph wrote:The Bible is the source of the so-called "number of the beast". So how in the world can the Bible say 666 and the "actual" number be 616? That is like saying "do Romeo and Juliet die at the end of Shakespeare's tradgedy "Romeo and Juliet"? The script says they do, but so-and-so says they don't. Therefore Shakespeare was WRONG!!!!"

Even if it did turn out that the real number is 616, that would only mean there was an error in translation along the way. It would NOT make the BIBLE wrong. The english TRANSLATION of the Bible can be wrong about something, as it has been about many things before. However, the Bible itself, translation errors aside, is a solid piece of work.

Besides just cause some person on the web says its 616 doesn't mean it actually is. There are people on the web that claim that the earth is flat...
Translation errors? So god allowed his "perfect" word to be corrupted? How are we even sure that the "originals" are perfect if they can be corrupted by human error?

Wow, it's not just some random person claiming it to be 616. It says it right there on the papyrus.

http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/beast616.htm
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Translation errors have always been very minor and don't impact the message of the bible. So yes I'd say God has been successful in making sure his perfect word spread around the globe, despite small errors on man's, not God's part.

Also yay, I'm a recognized member now :D