Is Christianity a poison?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Markster106
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Is Christianity a poison?

Post by Markster106 »

If you hear about Christianity, you must believe in it right? Or you go to hell. Or is it that all non-believers go to hell?
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is Christianity a poison?

Post by Gman »

Markster106 wrote:If you hear about Christianity, you must believe in it right? Or you go to hell. Or is it that all non-believers go to hell?
According to scripture we send ourselves to hell...

Is Christianity a poison? We believe that Christianity is highly toxic and intrinsically evil. In fact even Christ himself expressed this in his sermons.... As he stated in Luke,

Luke 6:35 "But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again."
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Markster106
Familiar Member

Post by Markster106 »

Gman wrote:
Markster106 wrote:If you hear about Christianity, you must believe in it right? Or you go to hell. Or is it that all non-believers go to hell?
According to scripture we send ourselves to hell...

Is Christianity a poison? We believe that Christianity is highly toxic and intrinsically evil. In fact even Christ himself expressed this in his sermons.... As he stated in Luke,

Luke 6:35 "But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again."
umm okay, so if you hear about Christianity but do not become Christian do you go to hell? that's what I mean when I say poison. Once you hear about it, you must be Christian, but as long as you never hear about Christianity, you don't have to believe.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Markster106 wrote: umm okay, so if you hear about Christianity but do not become Christian do you go to hell? that's what I mean when I say poison. Once you hear about it, you must be Christian, but as long as you never hear about Christianity, you don't have to believe.
I don't know... What does it mean to be a Christian or hear about Christianity?
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Markster106
Familiar Member

Post by Markster106 »

ok, let's start with this. do all non-christians (including those who don't even know what christianity is) go to hell according to the bible?
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

It is far beyond my capacity to understand the tender mercies of God and even more so to comprehend His wisdom in judgment. This realization keeps me from answering your specific question of all non Christians including those who don't know what Christianity is.

The Bible is my guide to the understanding of what types of people(s) will go to hell; liars, murderers, theives, fornicaters, idolaters, adulterers, etc., but for individuals or particular groups, I'm at a loss for any thoughts. It is out of my reach to understand the love that God has for us that allows any of us to get into heaven.

W.L. Craig told of a legal possibility for those who have never heard the Gospel and a link was provided here on a thread somewhere, but I can't remember the title. If I have the time I'll look it up.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Markster106 I found the link ; From board index go to Questions for Christians, scroll to Re: God+Love+Hell= [link added by moderator], pg. 2 Kurieuo's post, Craig/Bradley debate, Can a Loving God Send People to Hell?
at the bottom of K's post....wwwleaderu....sorry that I can't cut and paste with this circa 1900's computer I'm using.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

According to scriptures all people who believe are saved from hell. Everyone who is going to respond favourably to the Gospel is placed in a position where they can learn about it and Gods grace allows for the chance that other people might have the opportunity to also choose freely. Those who don't hear about it wouldn't react favourably to it anyway.

This is one viewpoint.

Another is that in the end God knows what is in someone's heart. If they hadn't heard the Gospel but would have reacted favourably if they had then God takes this into account.

Children before the age of accountability are excluded form this as they are automatically saved.

To be honest I am not sure which viewpoint I'd go with - but for me it is a moot point. I have heard the Gospel so now it is absolutely vital that I react to it in the correct way - so i suppose for me the risk is greater - Pascal's Wager all over again.
Seraph
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

[Another is that in the end God knows what is in someone's heart. If they hadn't heard the Gospel but would have reacted favourably if they had then God takes this into account.
Isn't this the same thing as predestination? That would defeat the whole purpose of Jesus dying wounldn't it?
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Markster106
Familiar Member

Post by Markster106 »

Silvertusk wrote:I have heard the Gospel so now it is absolutely vital that I react to it in the correct way - so i suppose for me the risk is greater - Pascal's Wager all over again.
Are you sure about that? So people who haven't heard the gospel don't have to follow its orders?
Silvertusk wrote:Children before the age of accountability are excluded form this as they are automatically saved.
So if you kill an infant you send it to heaven for eternal happiness? So if you listen to what Jesus had to say "Do unto others what you would want them to do to you", I could justify killing infants, because I would want to be killed if it meant I would get to spend eternity in heaven.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Well nobody HAS to follow the gospel whether they hear it or not, thats the beauty of free will. One simply benefits greatly if they do and they miss out a lot if they don't...

I get what your saying though, if people that haven't heard of Christianity go to heaven, isn't it better that they never hear of it? It is unclear about what happens to people who haven't heard of the gospel, nobody knows for sure. I myself do not believe that those who haven't heard it go to hell, but i don't claim that they all go to heaven either. You can't just make something up to satisfy your hopes and expect it to be true. All one can to is trust in the fact the God is just and will deal with everyone according.

Another thought, Christianity isn't all about just "getting into heaven". Even if people who never heard it went straight to heaven, they wouldve missed out on a lot.

Markster106 wrote:So if you kill an infant you send it to heaven for eternal happiness? So if you listen to what Jesus had to say "Do unto others what you would want them to do to you", I could justify killing infants, because I would want to be killed if it meant I would get to spend eternity in heaven.
In theory, you could justify that before YOURSELF. Good luck trying to justify that before God though...
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Markster106
Familiar Member

Post by Markster106 »

Seraph wrote:Well nobody HAS to follow the gospel whether they hear it or not, thats the beauty of free will. One simply benefits greatly if they do and they miss out a lot if they don't...

I get what your saying though, if people that haven't heard of Christianity go to heaven, isn't it better that they never hear of it? It is unclear about what happens to people who haven't heard of the gospel, nobody knows for sure. I myself do not believe that those who haven't heard it go to hell, but i don't claim that they all go to heaven either. You can't just make something up to satisfy your hopes and expect it to be true. All one can to is trust in the fact the God is just and will deal with everyone according.

Another thought, Christianity isn't all about just "getting into heaven". Even if people who never heard it went straight to heaven, they wouldve missed out on a lot.

Markster106 wrote:So if you kill an infant you send it to heaven for eternal happiness? So if you listen to what Jesus had to say "Do unto others what you would want them to do to you", I could justify killing infants, because I would want to be killed if it meant I would get to spend eternity in heaven.
In theory, you could justify that before YOURSELF. Good luck trying to justify that before God though...
Well let's look at it this way. If a homosexual man who has never heard the gospel has homosexual intercourse with another man, is it a sin? The man does not know that gay sex is a sin, so why would it count as a sin? He does not feel any gut feeling that what he is doing is wrong, because it is all natural to him. So the only logical answer would be that it does not count as a sin. So is that fair? A homosexual gets to have homosexual sex just because he has never heard the gospel?

And I disagree on how you would miss a lot if you went straight to heaven. But would you really regret it if heaven is supposed to be complete happiness? And what really would you miss? You might have turned out to be a serial killer or a homosexual.

Justify that before myself? Is it justifiable by common sense? Would you want to receive a free pass to heaven without having to go through the trials of Earth where you may end up being raised in the wrong religion?
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Well let's look at it this way. If a homosexual man who has never heard the gospel has homosexual intercourse with another man, is it a sin? The man does not know that gay sex is a sin, so why would it count as a sin? He does not feel any gut feeling that what he is doing is wrong, because it is all natural to him. So the only logical answer would be that it does not count as a sin. So is that fair? A homosexual gets to have homosexual sex just because he has never heard the gospel?
Well, you don't seem to be considering that stuff is considered sin for more than just because "God says so". The person in question benifits from not sinning as well. Also, it's pretty interesting that you're so quick to use homosexuals as an example...
And I disagree on how you would miss a lot if you went straight to heaven. But would you really regret it if heaven is supposed to be complete happiness? And what really would you miss? You might have turned out to be a serial killer or a homosexual.
The thing you would miss out on is knowing God while your still alive, which makes life a whole lot better. Also, I'm having trouble following your reasoning here. It almost sounds like you're implying life would be better for someone who is ignorant of Christianity because they would get to have the joy of being a serial killer without guilt. :shock:
Justify that before myself? Is it justifiable by common sense? Would you want to receive a free pass to heaven without having to go through the trials of Earth where you may end up being raised in the wrong religion?
I thought we were talking about the killing of infants here. In which case one would probably go to hell for, so a free pass to heaven isnt a problem.