Revelation 6:6

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
cespinoza
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes

Revelation 6:6

Post by cespinoza »

I know that "a measure of wheat for a penny and three measures of barley for a penny" means the prices are increase but how? Also, what does, "but hurt not the oil or the wine" mean?
Dazed and Confused
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Revelation 6:6

Post by Dazed and Confused »

cespinoza wrote:I know that "a measure of wheat for a penny and three measures of barley for a penny" means the prices are increase but how? Also, what does, "but hurt not the oil or the wine" mean?
I have wondered about that myself. Most commentaries I have read refer to the "oil and wine" as being luxuries for those in power. Perhaps "oil" is referring to petroleum. It's seems bad enough now and probably will only get worse, but I think I'm stretching it on that one. Well I have never really come across a completely satisfactory response for that passage, maybe someone will post one and enlighten us both.
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Swamper
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

I've seen other translations say "olive oil" instead of just "oil". But as for what the passage means, I don't know.
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Most of the comentaries I've checked say the oil (olive) and wine are higher priced commodities and suggests the more wealthy will be shielded from the famine.

This is from The King James Study Bible, Thomas Nelson; "....oil and the wine may indicate a restriction on the effects of the famine in the early parts of the tribulation."
I am the wretch the song refers to.